rant- ignorant people and parking.

• I work in an area that has tight parking, they actually give you transit money if you give up your parking pass. I did that 5 years ago, they also give you a off hours parking pass that let's you on campus after hours. We are also allowed to park 12 times a year on campus.

Some how it got around that we could park 12 times a year with the off hours parking pass and many of us do it roughly 3-4 times a year. Well, I got a ticket yesterday and went to the parking office to discuss it with them. I tried to explain that I've been doing it since I started work, if I had been told then that I needed to do something different I would have. One lady very calmly corrected me, I was upset because it's a $75 ticket.

A different woman jumped in and said, "That's like saying 'I've shopped lifted for years, if I would have gotten caught the first time, I wouldn't have done it again'."

My response was: "So you equate shoplifting with an employee parking on campus with the wrong pass?"

She said, "yeah, it's fraud'.

Parking = shoplifting? Save us from ignorant people. The first lady had already explained it to me, I was just upset -the second lady shouldn't have jumped in at all. I think I was more angry about the stupid woman's comment the paying the parking ticket. Actually I just got back from talking with them and I'm still furious-you know the type you get when you want to cry.

I have to be careful today because this is when my emotional eating kicks in and I don't have a hunger turn off switch. Mostly because I'm trying to stuff the anger down.

Sarah
  • What a stupid

So you can't park the 12 times a year then? Fair enough, but maybe they need to be clearer on their policy!

And no, parking with what you thought was the right ticket isn't like shoplifting. And shoplifting isn't fraud - it's theft, so woman no2 is clearly deranged! Parking with a mistakenly un-valid ticket isn't fraud either - you didn't set out with the intention of conning the university out of its parking space!

Go and find a pillow, or something to hit (preferably not woman no 2) and beat out your anger - go and scream at something!

Then eat an apple!
  • We can still park 12 times a year, but we have to go to the parking office and get a temporary pass for the day you need it.

Actually what probably happened was we had a unseasonably warm day yesterday and it being close to the end of the month, they probably have a ticket quota to meet. I just didn't realize that the ticket was so high!

Sarah
  • Oh I see... Well if they didn't lay it out first time then they really are to blame!

It is quite a about the ticket At least you'll know for next time and be able to warn your friends!

I think they do have certain quotas to meet and it's a shame but never mind. Hope you have a handle on your food for the rest of the day
  • I would have to disagree that you not knowing the rule, aka ignorance (not a bad thing), puts blame on the campus, however, that doesn't excuse this woman's absolute rudeness.

I would have had to reply when she started...

"I do believe in personal responsibility, intentional or unintentional, so I will take responsibility for my vehicle, where it was parked and under what considitioned it was parked. However, I will only accept ONE fine for my actions and that's paying $75. I just can't seem to find where it says I've been subject to listening to an unprofessional fat mouth spewing flippant sarcasm confused for real intelligence. Now, who wants my check?"

But then again, I'm Irish and don't let much of anything go unsaid.

I do hope you are feeling better now. I know the anger you're talking about and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
  • That's just it, I understand that ignorance is no excuse to not follow the rules. Oh, well-expensive lesson learned and you bet I'm telling every single person I know. Now, I have to explain to my dh (who's so tight with money he squeaks when he walks) why I got a $75 ticket and why I didn't know the rules.

It's been odd, I didn't eat breakfast because I was so annoyed this morning, then after I got angry and had to force myself to eat something for lunch and I'm hungry now but I don't feel like eating. Weird, I wish I could figure out which emotions turn on the food trigger. It seems to change all the time.

Sarah