General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #1  

Height: 5"4

Default I need help....any dog owners????

I have had Coco, my chihuahua for about 3 months now. She is about 11 months old. She usually does so good about going outside to potty. She has learned to even go over to the door and scratch when she wants out. But...for the past week, every night she will go into the living room, (she sleeps at the foot of my bed) poop in the floor, then start barking like a crazy dog. Once I get up, go into the living room, clean it up, she will run back to the bed and sleep. I don't hear her get up until she starts barking AFTER she poops.
My husband has thinks I'm crazy because I told him it's just like she does it, then barks to laugh at me lol. Any suggestions on how to fix this? It is really getting on my nerves!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'd suggest you get a kennel and have her sleep in it at night. I have 2 dogs and had problems with my newest which we got when he was 11 months old. He loves his kennell (it has a nice soft cushion in it) and he willingly goes in. Now that he is getting older, we leave the door open most of the time so he can come and go as he pleases during the night, but mostly he stays inside. It is his own comfort zone. Dogs do not see kennels as prisons, but as their own little home in your home. To get your dog used to the kennell, place a favorite toy in it and don't abandon her at first. Stay with her, let her stay in for a few minutes and let her out and give her a little treat. Do this for a few times a day over a few days and then have her start sleeping in it. Dogs will not poop where they sleep (that's why she goes into the living room). Once you get her used to the kennell, have your living room carpet **professionally** cleaned to get up all her poop/pee scents and this should stop this bad behavior.
Good luck! Allison
Old 01-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #3  

I tried the kennel at first when we first got her. The previous owner had let her sleep on their bed, when I put her in the kennel she barked and barked and barked, I have 2 small kids so I can't let her bark all night and keep them up. I'm at my wits end. This behavior has only started the past week. Nothing has changed that I'm aware of. I just don't know how to correct it.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

She definitely needs to be kennelled. Start her there in small bits of time as Alison suggests. Give her a Kong with Peanut butter to keep her busy. Don't let her have the kong anywhere else except in the kennel. This will work but it'll be hard on the nerves when she barks. Can she be put somewhere where the kids won't be bothered?

If you insist on letting her sleep on your bed, perhaps you could close your door. Then she will bark to get out and you can get her outside. Don't let her forget who is in charge, OK? You are the alpha dog in the pack, not her.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #5  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

See this is the thing, just because the previous owner did it, does not mean you have to do it afterall you own the dog NOW and it isn't even a year, like kids you create habits.

I would take your pup in for a vet check there may be a medical reason she is not holding it at night any more, is there some kind of signifigant change in the house, a new pet a new child,a new ob, less walking time, play time. all of these things can make a difference. If it is not medical

feed dinner early, 4:30 pm-5 pm pull up water around 7:30. this is a great time for a good long play session, mental play of hide and seak, doggie fetch, tug, hide and seak of find the kids, and a walk around the block. take your pup out as usual but last call around 10-11 pm. you will have to wait for your pup to eliminate both 1 and 2. this should help the problem. and you can not correct what you don't see happen. if you come across it after the fact you have to ignore it.

The thing about a crate/kennel is A crate is used for much more than potty training. Its main use is to keep the puppy safe when he can't be supervised. Not only are there a lot of things that he can damage in your house, there are a lot of things that can damage (or kill) him. Because the crate is a small den-like area, he's not likely to relieve himself in it. if you are a sound sleeper, the right size kennel for your dog, ( just enough to turn around and lie doown) will help your pup not eliminate in the house,see she won't go in "her space" the bed but she will go in space that is not her space, the living room.

And please tell me this dog does not ride on your lap while you drive the car?
Old 01-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #6  

The dog doesn't ride in the car often. But when she does she does just sit on the passenger seat. Thanks for the advice, but I feel as if you all are missing my point. I don't care for her sleeping with me, I like that even. I was just wanting suggestions on what to do to help with her nighttime problem. I don't like caging an animal up during the day either. I like for her to have plenty of room to play and get exercise while we are working. Thanks for any suggestions.

Forgot to add she is at the vet today getting spayed. They are going to do a complete check up while she is there.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #7  

actually i think you may be missing the point lol

what the others are trying to tell you is that you are letting your dog set the rules when it should be the other way round. i am not keen on kennels either but sometimes it is the only way that dogs learn who is pack leader. my dogs get free run of the house except my bedroom. and have their own beds to sleep in but they know where the line is and what not to do.

letting dogs on beds is one way you teach dogs who is boss. if they are allowed on the bed they think they are in charge.

as for the barking. if you ignore it she will stop. by running out there you are giving her attention and that will encourage her to bark more

if you would like to read more on it i suggest you try Jan Fennell's books (she's the dog listener). you could also try googling this topic. you will find there is a lot of info on house training and teaching your dog who is the boss. right now your dog is getting you to run around after her so she's the pack leader not you.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #8  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

The only thing I will add is that ALL dogs should be in the back seat, airbags and windshields are never a dogs friend. There are seatbelts and car beds for dogs if you don't like the crate option. you can find them at any pet store.

good luck with your pups spaying, I hope it goes well and she has a speedy recovery.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

They are dogs and we are humans. We rule! The first thing dogs need to learn is that they are at the very bottom of the family heirarchy. If they don't learn that, there's trouble.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #10  
Marathon Goddess

I have 3 dogs, and I have to agree with these ladies, I know you like the dog sleeping with you, but unfortunetly, if you continue to let that happen, you will continue to have problems, it sounds like the dog thinks your the pet. Good Luck and check out some of the books on dog behavior, you might find them, helpful. :-)
Old 01-23-2006, 10:38 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

My two golden retreivers own me!

But I will say they LOVE to be in their crates, in the garage gymroom, all cuddled in with their blankets and pillow!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #12  
Pending Email Confirmation

I used to bring our dog (who is no longer with us) to a professional trainer who was excellent and in high demand in our area. He didn't teach with treats or clickers or any other gimmicks, he just taught us how to be the alpha dog in the pack (because that's what your family is to your dog, a pack). He said something that really clicked with me and may get you over your wariness of the crate. Dogs in the wild (i.e. wolves and their other relatives) use a version of the crate all the time. When the alpha and a few others go out to hunt, the alpha communicates to the dogs staying behind and "tells" them to get into their dens. These dens are usually very small and the dogs have to crawl to get all the way in. They stay there until the other dogs come back from the hunt. That's just the natural way. They are safe there and no predators can get them. And of course, they don't eliminate in their dens, they just wait until the hunters get home.

Dogs need limits just like kids, they feel "out of control" if no controls are placed on them. It's not cruel to put them in crates, it's actually a kind thing to do for them.

Cindy B.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #13  

Do dogs sleep alone in the wild?

Liz
Old 01-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #14  
Pending Email Confirmation

No, they sleep with the pack. But that's why the crate should be in the house with you, even in your bedroom if you want. For domestic dogs, the entire house is their den, and the crate is their own little niche where you, as the alpha, tell them to go when you're gone or sleeping. "Sleeping alone" for domestic dogs is being kept strictly outside, out of the "den" entirely. Although some would argue the den extends to the yard as well. That's another topic entirely.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #15  
Mel

I agree,too, that you may be missing the point. I've owned a couple of alpha female dogs, and it has been a battle establishing dominance. The crate is your friend, and will be your dog's friend. The first week or so may be tough, but it will be worth it in the long run. You aren't "caging" then animal- you are providing it with it's own den. It's own private space.

And what is the alternative? Can you live LONGTERM with an animal that poops in the living room because it can? How about in the middle of your bed? Sooner or later, you'll probably get rid of it. Isn't crate training a more humane alternative?

Mel
Closed Thread