General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:05 AM   #16  

Personally, I don't have a problem with comments (politely made, of course!). But, read around a bit and you'll find plenty of threads with people complaining that they don't like them at all. One complaint that I've noticed in particular is that if someone says, "Wow! You look great! You've lost weight haven't you?" the person on the receiving end takes it as an insult about how they USED to look rather than a compliment of how they look NOW.

I can't say I understand that kind of reaction. I suppose because weight issues can be so sensitive that those of us who struggle with them tend to assume the worst. I don't know. But, given that is the case, I can absolutely understand why someone would want to say something to a friend or spouse rather than directly to you. After all, if they are worried that you might be sensitve about your weight, as so many people are, it gives them an opportunity to pay you a compliment (obviously they know your DH is going to mention it to you) without risking offending you in any way.

So, I agree that it probably boils down to political correctness. I hate to say it but there are a LOT of people who are downright bitter about being overweight and the last thing they want to do is discuss it -even if the comments are complimentary. I think this makes the general public feel like they should be especially careful of what they say when it comes to diets and weight loss.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #17  

I tend to agree with the others, I think it's a very sensitive subject and some people would be a little offended, and take it totally the wrong way, like for example, "Wow you've really lost the weight"!! To which some people would be like, "Man I must have really been fat"....Although compliments are nice, I am a shy like person and simply hate to draw attention to myself, I personally wouldn't be offended if someone commented on my weight loss, but I like I said I hate to draw attention to myself....
Old 01-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #18  

I never ever comment on someone size. Where I come from we might talk about you behind your back but we would never come up and say oh wow
you look so great now because the implication would be you use to really look awful. A woman I don't know that well did that to me she is a greeter at
walmart. She said oh you look so much better than you use too. Gosh you
have lost a lot of weight. I just said really thanks for pointing that out. Somethings are just better unsaid to my face lol
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #19  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

See, it would be much better to simply say "You're looking great" rather than add the "better than you used to!"
Old 01-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #20  

Yup your right!

Liz
Closed Thread