3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   American Idol returns - Was anyone else bothered? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/73407-american-idol-returns-anyone-else-bothered.html)

Catsgetnhealthy 01-21-2006 12:33 PM

What I don't get is why they let "I talk to animals" guy through...
Just to get at Simon, I think.

Eldubu 01-23-2006 10:59 AM

American Idol

I was pretty choked! Did anyone else notice all the bigger men getting in, but when a large woman goes through, Simon makes the "do we have a bigger stage this year" comment. He's an arse!
As for the talent...oh my! Some of these people are insane! Do they really think they're talented? I mean, I would never dream of telling someone that their singing was horrible, but they are going on a show where they KNOW they will be criticized. I thought it was mean how they called in the mom of the girl who wore loads of makeup and tanned, so they could laugh at them both! What about the girl who sang a song with swearing in it? NICE! Way to win them over!
Does anyone else wonder why Paula Abdul was picked as a judge? She seems like she might be nice and all, but she is not a good singer herself. I only watch the beginning, because I get a kick out of the people who try to get in. It's entertainment. I do feel sorry for some of them, though, I am kind of embarassed for them. They go in there with real expectations and get kicked down pretty harshly sometimes. Oh well, it's part of the package, I guess.
Why does it seem so many of the contestants who truly CAN'T sing, always say their mom encouraged them to go on there because "she says I am so talented"? That's a cruel Mom! I guess all mom's think their babies are special, but....

:eek: :nono: :barf: :shrug: :fr: :faint: :no: :ziplip: :tape:

liz321 01-24-2006 11:00 AM

I don't think Simon or Randy sing either.....not sure how they picked the judges.

What ever happens to the winners of American Idol? I know about Kelly Clarkson........but are the rest doing anything worth mentioning?

Liz

jillybean720 01-24-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz321
I don't think Simon or Randy sing either.....not sure how they picked the judges.

Simon is a big-wig for the record company that offers the winner a recording contract. Randy is (or was?) a producer, I believe--he often mentions how he worked with stars like Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey. As for Paula, I don't think they got her for her singing ability (obviously), but rather because she is a package performer. She is a singer/dancer/performer, which is what I think they look for in an American Idol: the package deal.

I think it's a good mix of opinions. Paula comes from the performing side, Randy comes from the producing/studio side, and Simon comes from the "how-can-we-make-money-off-this-performer?" side :dizzy:

Kelly Clarkson has done quite well for herself, but not until a few years AFTER she won AI. Ruben had a horrible single released called "I'm Sorry 2004" (made VH-1's top 10 worst songs of 2004 list, I believe). He and Fantasia I guess have a few singles out that get played primarily on R&B stations and not really pop stations, whereas Kelly's music is more widespread. I also have only heard Carrie Underwood's first single once or twice--I'm guessing she maybe performs mostly country now? I really think they need to pick an idol who is happy in the pop realm in order to actually fulfill what fans are looking to get from the show, ya know?

Eldubu 01-25-2006 04:29 PM

American Idol

You know, I am enjoying watching the show right now, because it makes me feel very good about myself! Hahaha!
Did anyone else get choked up and get chills hearing that young girl sing? The one who sang "Cowboy Take Me Away", which I thought she sung even better than the Dixie Chicks! I almost cried hearing her! She had BETTER make it into at least the top 10!
I am not even going to get into the whole thing about that Rhonetta chick...yikes!
I was mad though, that they didn't let the ventriloquist in, he was a good singer. I was very happy for a number of the people who got in, so far they have chosen a few, though, who really shouldn't have made it, but I guess it's nice to give others a chance. I guess they'll get weeded out in the first few weeks of actual competition. I may actually find myself watching the whole thing this season.
:dizzy:

almostheaven 01-25-2006 08:14 PM

Forget the Idol winners. Most people listen to the losers. Clay is at the top of all of them, and I love Kimberly Locke's "8th World Wonder".

1dayatatime 01-26-2006 08:29 AM

I'll be honest, I never watch this show. I've never watched this show and have never had an interest in watching this show. BUT the other night I did catch a couple of the people, including the little squeaky voice girl that had the most awesome voice I've heard in a while. When she came out of the doors, it made me tear up. She seemed really genuine and was extremely talented.

Whether I watch from here on out, we'll have to see. I doubt it but I might check in to see how that young lady is doing.

kmccann 01-26-2006 07:25 PM

I am a loyal idol watcher. I have watched every season so far and have come close to picking the winner every year. I know, I need to get a life. I just love it because I love to sing and I love music and it's also funny to watch people make fools of themselves.

I think the girl that sang the Martina McBride song, her last name is Pickler, from Albemarle, NC will at least be in the top 10 this year. I am a little bias because I live in NC but the ones from here have done okay for themselves so far. Fantansia has a lot of songs that are on the R&B stations and I think Clay is doing well on gospel and love songs mostly.

Claire de Ravin 01-27-2006 11:40 AM

I also thought the make-up girl looked like Ashlee Simpson! I thought I was seeing things.

There are a few people who shouldn't have made it through in my opinion.

What did you guys think of Simon's dramatic leave on Wednesday's episode?

jillybean720 01-27-2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire de Ravin
What did you guys think of Simon's dramatic leave on Wednesday's episode?

What a little drama queen! Like he's never had to put up with comments from the other 2 before? I understand being frustrated, but he is also there to do a job, and there were still contestants to be seen.

almostheaven 01-27-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean720
What a little drama queen! Like he's never had to put up with comments from the other 2 before? I understand being frustrated, but he is also there to do a job, and there were still contestants to be seen.

All part of the act. Kinda like when one of the other's got all hissy and went missing in the first or second season.

jillybean720 01-27-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almostheaven
All part of the act.

haha, oh, I know, but it actually turns me OFF of the show more than it makes me want to watch. I mean, they had ads for that part all week ("this week on American Idol: what could cause Simon to storm out of the audition room?!"), and I knew it was just going to be something stupid and not really a big deal. I prefer the drama come from the contestants and not the "experts." But I suppose all the little 12-year olds out there thought it was a big deal ;)

Safiyah_is_Fluffy 01-27-2006 06:38 PM

gawd I can't believe some of the people, I was embarassed for them....

PeekabooICU 01-28-2006 10:46 AM

I wonder what the ones who really think they can sing, think when they do see and hear themselves on tv. I bet alot of them will say they had an "off" day rather than realize that they really can't sing.

I think Simon can be too cruel tho. To tell someone that they look like the Incredible Hulk's wife? Thats terrible. Or to tell them they are fat. There are much nicer ways of just saying no without making a person feel horrible about how they look. Sometimes he gives really constructive criticism but it is very rare. He is at his worst when the audition shows are on.

tobetheman 01-28-2006 01:25 PM

I was not gonna watch any of this season,my parents do all the time, esp. the beginning and end (sometimes skipping the mid shows). Then i heard about the attitude and I tuned in. Yep, there ruder but it's entertaining as heck. Let's not forget these people are trying to enter into a industry that is plagued by the very things they are attacking competitors on. No offense to all of them, but a few do deserve some hard criticism. I still like simon the most, don't care for the other two. simon, is okay and honest at times, others he's just a plain jerk. oh, well.