Sick child - any ideas?

• My daughter (5) had strep about a week and a half ago and was treated, then this past Thursday night had what appeared to be a stomach virus. No more vomiting or fever for the next several days, but had stomach cramps, headaches and dizziness at times, but fine at other times, although not eating a lot. Stomach pain got worse yesterday, took her to the doctor, who said give her yogurt to build her flora back up - but then last night, she woke up screaming with stomach pains and vomiting again. This morning she seems okay. No fever throughout the stomach problems.

I am really getting worried about my child. Has anyone's child had a similar experience????

Thanks
  • I would take her back to the doc's just to be sure! Your persistance will pay off.
  • Don't hesitate! Take her to the doctor or emergency.
    I hope she's feeling better soon.
  • I did talk with the doctor's office again on the phone this morning and they keep saying to just give her clear liquids and yogurt. She is fine right now, but a half an hour ago I tried to get her to eat and her stomach hurt too much. If she still having these symptoms this afternoon, we are going to a different doctor.
  • I think that would be wise...hope she feels better really soon...
  • More antibiotics at this point would only worsen the situation. The yogurt will build the flora. Have you tried peppermint or cinnamon? Does she like cinnamon toast? Or just let her suck on a peppermint. I've read both of those help. When my tummy hurts I don't want anything dairy oriented so I don't blame the little one for not wanting it.

Just be careful of what another doctor might perscribe. More antibiotics are going to put you right back here again.
  • Is she getting any pedialite? She may be getting dehydrated. Just a thought!
  • My daughter got strep last Friday and is on an antibiotic with it. She also had the vomiting and high fever. I know what your going through. I was worried sick about her. She is still a little sick on the stomach once in a while. All she wanted was apple juice and popsicle. If she gets sick again I would take her to the emergency room. At least she would be able to see a different doctor and possibly get some tests run but do try to avoid another antibiotic, they can really be bad for them sometimes. Fluids, fluids, fluids is all I can say. My daughter loves the yogurt smoothies! Let us know how she's doing.
  • What happened?

Liz
  • Thanks everyone for your kindness and concern. She seems to be okay now but still having some occasional stomach pains. I did end up taking her to the doctor again and then the next day ended up on the phone with the advice nurse. She started saying she really wanted to go back to school and see her friends and I could tell she was feeling better so I let her go, but she is still not 100%, maybe 90, though. She is sleeping a little more than before but I think she is pretty much over it.

I really appreciate you caring!
  • I'm so glad she's getting better! Thanks for the update...