General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #121  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Goddess
"

As far as all the discussion about smokers, I am an ex smoker. When I smoked, I always tried to be understanding to the non-smokers around me and thier needs. However, if I went outside to smoke-as I did in college, in the designated smoking area, I think I had the right to do that, as I think that as long as smoking is legal and there are no smoking ordinances in the town, a smoker should be able to smoke in public. You may not like smoking, as it is a nasty habit, but the inconsideration lies with the individual, not the habit. People are just as inconsiderate with cell phones, calling and receiving calls during church or places where cell phone use is forbidden for medical reasons, drivers who use the handicap spaces and are no where near handicapped, ect. all.

I know that I may generate some seething comments about the smoking issue, since it's an unpopular one, but well, that's what a pet peeves thread is for..
I think that if there are designatre areas then that is fine...us "non-smokers" should avoid them if we don't want to breath the stuff...its only fair...

I don't like rude smokers--these people are my biggest pet peeve--like for example (being just out of cancer treatment last year) my "friend" begins to light up in the car right beside me! thats is the kind of rude smoker I am talking about... but there are a lot of smokers that really do consider others around them. I respect that! What REALLY REALLY annoyes me is parents who smoke around their little kids...

I get really annoyed when people drive and talk on the cell phone...

I hate it when dishes are not done and they sit in the sink...

Ummm I have more I just can't think of them right now
Old 05-04-2006, 11:01 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My newest one has just come up in the last few days. People look me up and down and say "Why do you exercise?" Or they look at my lunch and say "Why are you having salad?"
"You want to lose more weight? Aren't you happy yet?"
On a weightloss message board ... "I don't know what women who wear a size 2,4,6 or even 8 are even doing here."

I was somewhat taken aback that there is discrimination on both ends of the weight/size issue.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #123  
resident lactivist

Quote:
I think that if there are designatre areas then that is fine...us "non-smokers" should avoid them if we don't want to breath the stuff...its only fair...
I'll agree to that. And I'll add a pet peeve of how close the smoking & nonsmoking sections are in some places. I remember walking out of a restaurant in Norfolk where the "nonsmoking section" was two tables in the middle of the restaurant. All the rest of which was smoking.

They recently passed a law here to ban smoking in all public places. Imagine, paradise without the gigantic clouds of smoke everywhere! OK, I actually think it's not all public places, but it's all places of employment, all semi-enclosed shopping centers (like Ala Moana center, for anyone who's been here), the airport, that sort of thing. I'd like to see a matching ban on standing right in front of an open door & smoking, but I don't think that's going to happen. Of course, we'll probably be back on the mainland by the time that one goes through.

Quote:
People are just as inconsiderate with cell phones, calling and receiving calls during church or places where cell phone use is forbidden for medical reasons, drivers who use the handicap spaces and are no where near handicapped, ect. all.
None of that negatively impacts my health, though. There's a humongous difference between a minor annoyance and a health hazard. To put it another way, your (or anyone else's) right to kill yourself slowly stops short at my right to breathe unimpeded. I should not have to burn gasoline to run the a/c on the van when I'm in the parking lot of the miniNEX waiting for my husband so that I can avoid the cigarette smoke from the guys in the ATM line.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #124  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

1. Usually, blanket statements about any group of people. They make me want to smack someone.

2. People who judge others, or at least, people who write off other people they don't know for any reason. If you haven't met me and talked to me, you don't have any right to judge me, regardless of your religion, your background, or your current view of what I am doing right/wrong.

3. People reading my blog and not commenting on it. If you read it, you must have something to say every once in a while...

4. People who use the word "allergy" to refer to things they don't like and/or are sensitive to (please note - this is unrelated to the whole smoker convo, though that is what made me remember it - my future father-in-law says he is allergic to EVERY food, practically, which means either he doesn't like it or he doesn't feel like it that night...then will eat these foods he is "allergic" to at a later date). Makes it difficult to cook for him.

5. Fork tines on teeth.

6. Listening to people eat loudly (I have a thing about mouth noises...ick).

7. When I was in college, the question "What are you going to do with that?" in response to my major. Since I've graduated, the question has become "does that relate to your degree?".

There are so many more.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #125  

Sigh, men who hit on me and hit on me and won't take no for an answer....
Old 05-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #126  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myself
Sigh, men who hit on me and hit on me and won't take no for an answer....
Women that won't hit on me...sigh...
Old 05-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #127  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigMonsterMomma
I'll agree to that. And I'll add a pet peeve of how close the smoking & nonsmoking sections are in some places. I remember walking out of a restaurant in Norfolk where the "nonsmoking section" was two tables in the middle of the restaurant. All the rest of which was smoking.

COME HERE TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ~ you pretty much can't smoke anywhere in our state ~ so glad I quit about 9 years ago after smoking for 25!

None of that negatively impacts my health, though. There's a humongous difference between a minor annoyance and a health hazard. To put it another way, your (or anyone else's) right to kill yourself slowly stops short at my right to breathe unimpeded. I should not have to burn gasoline to run the a/c on the van when I'm in the parking lot of the miniNEX waiting for my husband so that I can avoid the cigarette smoke from the guys in the ATM line.
Well, it IMPACTS my health ~ gets my freakin' BLOOD pressure up!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 04:28 AM   #128  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hmmmmmmm. Well you all have mentioned most of mine.
Rude people
LIARS
Two faced people
People who chew with their mouth's open (we have a lady at work who drives everybody INSANE!)
Which brings me to people who type really LOUDLY on their keyboards. (yes the same lady does this too).
Popping and cracking gum
Screaming and totally out of control children
Annoying Movie Goers (just shut up and watch the movie!) lol.
Whistling constantly
People who do not change the TP roll!
That is all I can think of now, give me time I'm sure I'll think of more! lmao!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:12 AM   #129  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
Here are some more related to being on message boards (and not all apply to 3FC since this happens to be one of the friendliest communities online!):
[LIST][*]someone who posts asking for help or advice, then tells you you're WRONG when you offer some advice!
[/COLOR]
Or they ask for advice and then get their feelings all hurt and are offended by what is offered!!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #130  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I definitely agree with the "lose/loose" issue--I've also noticed a lot of people using "could of/would of/should of" on here and other places in writing. Those phrases don't even make sense or mean anything!!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:58 AM   #131  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever!
Cool thread.

3. Rude smokers. Like my neighbor. Who doesn't want to smoke inside his condo. So he smokes on his balcony which is 2 feet higher than mine so all the carcinogens come into MY unit (I have to keep a fan on my porch to blow some of it away).
Ohhhhhh I have that problem too! I live on third floor and a "smoker chick" moved into the apartment below mine. She puts her chair right on the very front edge of the deck so her filth blows into MY apartment instead of hers. Grrrrrrr. I admit I get anti-smoke air freshener and lean over the deck and spray it which makes her yell at me. I have a bamboo blind over the lower half of my deck (railings) and her apartment is right below mine so it is hard to get a fan set up to blow some of it back down. I bought a window air unit last fall and am planning to install it by am afraid the vents will allow even more of the filthy stuff in!

And I can't even drive to work without someone hanging a cigarette out their car window in front of me and tossing the butts out so they go under my car!!! (Don't dare drive with the windows down any more!!)
Old 05-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #132  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Oooo, I could have fun with this thread. So many pet peeves and as I read a lot of the respones, I was nodding my head in agreement.

Mine:

1) Rude drivers: especially driving 10 under in the left lane, not using turn signals, tailgating, cutting me off (then driving 10 under), being too "busy" yakking on the cell phone to drive
2) Misused apostrophes, writing "alot" instead of "a lot", mixing up "lose" and "loose", and a few other random grammatical errors
3) People who are RUDE to waiters/waitresses or customer service personnel. I worked in customer service while in college and I was much more likely to help people out if they treated me like a human being!
4) When people wear clothing that is too revealing (e.g. coming to school looking like you're dressed to go to the beach) or shows a ton of underwear. Yuck!
5) When people talk about themselves constantly without asking me how my day is going
6) People who sweat all over gym equipment and don't clean it up when they're done using it.
7) People who don't poop scoop their dogs. Ewwww! I don't want to step in your doggie's mess!!!
8) People who take up two parking spaces because they're too lazy to take the time to park straight. This infuriates me the most in the school parking garage, where space is scarce.
9) Chronically late people (who always have some lame excuse)
10) Parents who let their children run wild, even in the most inappropriate places (like church!!!) Then they just tell you "kids will be kids". Ever heard of discipline???

Oh wow, that's a lot of pet peeves! And I'm sure if I thought about it I could keep this list going...
Old 05-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I was walking the other day and found myself surrounded by three large dogs. The dogs themselves weren't doing anything, but then a woman ran up and put leashes on the dogs....why even carry a leash if you aren't going to put it on the dog? Not everyone is a dog person!

I think this kind of goes with the kids thing( no I don't mean that kids are akin to dogs), but it's a matter of discipline, or making decisions for a person or an animal who cannot make decisions on his/her/it's own.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #134  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Goddess
... why even carry a leash if you aren't going to put it on the dog? Not everyone is a dog person! ... it's a matter of discipline, or making decisions for a person or an animal who cannot make decisions on his/her/it's own.
I TOTALLY agree! A couple weeks ago, something awful happened in front of my apartment. I live on a long, straight one-way street, and around 9:30 pm, in the dark, I heard a woman walking her dog outside and calling to him several times. He was a young dog I guess, and unleashed, and he was rambling all over the place. A few minutes later, I heard a fast car coming up the road, breaks squealing, then the car zoom off, then terrible cries of "Oh God!" over and over.

I went to the window, and my neighbors had rushed out to help her... she was surrounded by about 5 people, and she was kneeling over the poor dog, who was now off up on a lawn. People were running to call 911, and the neighbors rushed the dog off to a vet emergency clinic before the cops came... I don't know if he made it or not (I should ask!)... He appeared to be standing, and they had to talk him into lying down on a blanket to carry him - I hoped that meant he was not horribly hurt, but her cries made me think otherwise. I didn't go out because I couldn't add to her help, and I'd probably have just cried over her and her dog. As it was, I was crying in my living room in the dark, watching this play out... TERRIBLE! And more terrible that the driver didn't stop!

So please all pet owners, LEASH your dogs please! At least in busy areas... even if you think it's a mellow residential area, you never know when some jerk will take a corner too fast with your pet in the road.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:59 PM   #135  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I SO agree with the dogs on leashes! Where I lived (and my parents still live) in CT, our neighbors had a doberman and a German shepherd--NOT small dogs! They were NEVER kept on leashes and were just allowed out to roam around at will while their owners stayed inside the house. Now, they mostly stayed in their own yard, but the doberman was in our yard a couple times a week to, ya know, do his deed. When you don't have a dog at all and come outside to find a steaming pile on your lawn--ugh! Plus the poor doberman was probably hit by a car at least 3 times (that I know of), and yet the owners REFUSED to leash him. They said they felt bad keeping him tied to a certain area. Umm, hello, don't you feel bad letting him get yelled at by neighbors and hit by cars all the time?!

Oh, another grammatical annoyance--I get so frustrated when people don't know when to use "it's" or "its." Same goes for "their," "there," and "they're." I seriously think I learned that in about second or third grade, so everyone should really know the differences...unfortunately, I know some people just don't care, though.
Closed Thread