General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 09:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Nurses? Activity?

I found an activity choice in fitday.com for nursing and it sounds about right. But I'm having trouble being honest with myself about how much of my shift I'm actually moving around. I do realise that it varies.
I meant to kinda keep track just with my watch last night and of course got harried a couple of times ... so I lost track.
I know I took two breaks that probably add up to almost an hour. I also did extensive charting twice. But was I really busy for 5 1/2 or 6 hours out of an eight hour shift?
Any other nurses out there who've actually kept track? Or what do you think?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:25 AM   #2  
wannaBaloser

Hello,
Back when i was working, i did 12 hr shifts. Some of my co-workers tried pedometers to try and figure out how far we walked. Some days were busier than others, so we averaged them out. It averaged to 7 miles per shift of walking...which we figured to be nearly 5000 calories burned....there was more, but i do not remember all of it. Even figured out about how long we sat to chart and it was....75 oe 80 calories burned per 15 minutes. It is different for each person according to their weight and age and even gender affects the whole. Good luck.
wannaBa loser
Old 09-23-2005, 08:03 AM   #3  

I read your post about four times WannaBa and couldn't decide what I wanted to say. I wish I used 5000 cals per shift or rather 3333.33 because I only work 8 hrs but I don't. I was gaining weight on 2500 cals.

So I went back a reread this thread ....http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63403

Alas, this too might be a trial and error thing as is almost everything to do with weightloss and fitness, yes?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:17 PM   #4  
wannaBaloser

Perhaps I should have said this was back when I was much younger. I think it takes me a few months now to burn 5000 calories. which is what brings me here. I am, maybe, finally on a losing streak. Friday is my weigh in day and i am down another lb. Realistically i can see how bizzare it is to become lightheaded with delight over a single pound, but i actually had a head rush...possibly because i leaned over in disbelief to see the numbers closer and stood straight too fast, lol. It is one of those one ounce at a time things for me. I hope all is going to go well for you.
peace,
wannaBealoser
Old 09-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaBaloser
It averaged to 7 miles per shift of walking...which we figured to be nearly 5000 calories burned
WOW! I think I may need to change professions! That's simply incredible.

Beverly
Old 09-24-2005, 08:27 AM   #6  

Het WannaB ... a pound lost is a pound lost! You have every right to be excited!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:16 AM   #7  
wannaBaloser

Thank you for your kind words. I think my family and friends think I over-react with a single lb loss, as i have so xxxx far to go. I need people who have the same problems as me in regards to weight loss and who are so sincere in the support they offer. I so appreciate the blessing that finding this site looks to be for me. I celebrated by writing another poem. It is something i enjoy and it alleviates tensions and makes me feel good, but best of all it ISNT fattening, lol
wannaBaloser

Last edited by wannaBaloser; 09-26-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #8  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

It's not just a pound lost - it's also not a pound gained...you go wanna b!
Old 10-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #9  
wannaBaloser

Default question

Gina,
How do you get the weight loss scale under your name? I see it under everyone and I would like to have one too. How do you get one?

wannaBaloser
aka sherry
Closed Thread