General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #1  
Melanie

Exclamation When you first lost weight were you ever.....?

Hey Everyone

Just wondering.....when any of you first became gung ho about eating right and exercising, were you late for your "TOM"? I know that exercising and losing weight can affect your hormones which can in turn affect your menstrual cycle, but has it really ever happened to anyone here? I have been late before, but usually no more than 3 days- I am 5 days over at this point and my husband and I are hoping it's not the other possibility (especially since we have been using protection)! We have a one and half year old baby boy who we love very much, but we really need some more time before having another (mostly for some health issues of mine & with the possibility of moving to another state in January and being unsure about the job situation at that point).

Please, somebody out there - tell me you've had a false alarm like this

Thanks,
Melanie
Old 07-22-2005, 09:42 AM   #2  
Collie Mommie

I was about a week late 2 months ago, and this month is came 30 days after the late one (30 days is usual for me).
Old 07-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yup. I became somewhat irregular, sometimes going a couple weeks over and once having one much earlier than was due. So that when I was really late, and not tracking it at the time, it took awhile to realize I was pregnant, like over a month. LOL
Old 07-22-2005, 10:38 AM   #4  
Not giving up!!

S/C/G: 323/200/175

Height: 5'8

Nope all mine have been right on schedule!! Take a test and get it over with! Good Luck to ya!!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:45 AM   #5  
Addicted to potato salad!

I've been late three times...and I've had one miscarriage and two kids... In fact, I didn't know I was PG when I had the miscarriage (I thought it was a wicked period after skipping a period before), nor did I know when I was PG with my first, my DD...I was in denial until I was 8 WEEKS!! But when I was trying with my DS, I knew the day I was due and got a PG test...which is what I suggest you do to eliminate all doubt or confirm your suspicions. Either way, you need to know. All of our accounts of whether loosing weight spurred us to be late won't truly confirm or deny whether you are PG until you find out for sure...I would by dying to know, myself!!

Good luck to you!!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

Mine have been a little irregular. The used to be 25-27 days apart, but now they're ranging from 28-31. It's that TOM for me right now, and it came at 31 days. I was starting to wonder if I was going to miss, because 31 is unsual for me.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I've always been rather irregular but last month I was about 6 days late. I second the recommendation to just take the test and get it over with though. You'll just be worrying needlessly until you do (and lots of the new ones are accurate even at just a few days late).
Old 07-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #8  

Mel - like everyone said, take the test. That being said, the last time I saw my GYN and she noted all the changes in my weight and as we discussed my lifestyle, she told me not to be surprised if my periods became erratic or skipped a month. I thought your body fat had to be in the single digits to go abnormal, but she said no, it can also happen when you lose a lot of body fat (I have gone from 45% to 28 over two years). I know my period this month was two days of spotting - very unusual for me. I would take the test for piece of mind. If you are still nervous, go see your GYN. Fear and anxiety can reck havoc on your cycles, too. Good luck
Old 07-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Re: taking the test.

When my periods first started going erratic, I was also just starting to suffer from an unexplained rash. We tried different things to figure out what was causing it. We finally discovered that it's the dies/fragrances in laundry detergent. But before that, with these rashes and the change in my TOM, I did some searching online. They COULD have been symptoms of menopause and my mom had it early. So I took an OTC menopause test...negative. Then when I noticed my TOM was late again, and possibly more late than usual, I buckled down and took an OTC pregnancy test. + if positive - if negative. And I got |?????? So I went to the doc. She said I was 5 1/2 weeks pregnant...impossible. I went to the GYN one week later. He said I was 10 1/2 weeks pregnant. Who knows when the heck this baby will be born. LOL
Old 07-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #10  
Looking for Thin

I agree with everyone else. YOu need to take a test especially if being late is unusual for you. I'm rarely on time anymore. I doubt mine is weight related though. Good luck to you.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I haven't been late since I've started working out and eating better, I've been early the past few months! I was only 26 days this month, and usually its 29.

I would definitely take a test just to be sure. I've been late a few times, but it was only by 2 to 3 days. The one time I was later than that was when I was pg. (but no I don't have any children).

Good luck, and I hope that you find out soon whats going on!

~Liz
Old 07-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #12  

I started skipping some all together when I got about 30 lbs. away from my goal. Of course I panicked and took tests (a baby was definitely NOT in my plans) and they turned out to be negative, thank goodness! So then I started researching and found out that irregular menstural cycles are not uncommon after a large weight loss. But since your ticker doesn't indicate that this would be relative yet, I would definitely take a test. Good luck sweetie, I hope everything works out the best no matter what the outcome may be.

Beverly
Old 07-23-2005, 12:36 AM   #13  
Melanie

Thanks Ladies!!!

I took all your advice and got a pregnancy test and it indicated I am not pregnant - WHEW!

I guess now it just seems weird I am 6 days late.....although I read an article that said when you first start to lose weight and if you weren't an exerciser before and then start to do it regularly, your body and hormones are in a state of shock, until they adjust - I guess it make sense though.

If I still don't start within the next week, I think I will take a test again and maybe go to my OB/GYN.

Thanks for all of your responses
Melanie
Old 07-23-2005, 09:36 PM   #14  
This time I'll do it!!

I skipped a whole month when I did Phase I of South Beach. Won't do that again.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:20 PM   #15  
Rabid Claymate

I actually was late 6 months BEFORE I started losing weight. Then I became more regular when I lost weight. O.o;
Closed Thread