General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:42 PM   #1  
Wellness*Body*Mind*Spirit

S/C/G: 320/320/?

Height: 5'9"

Default Has changing your diet changed the way you feed your children/family?

I am curious if those of us (okay, all of us here!) who have had or who have weight/eating concerns still feed their families and children the same SAD (standard American diet) or average diet *you* used to eat (the one that helped you gain weight and develop food addictions, yeah, that one ) prior to having a change of heart.

Any thoughts on nutrition and feeding our children and loved ones? Have you learned and implemented positive changes in both your and your families' diets? Did you once use food as a reward and treat for both the kids and yourself but have since learned other healthier ways to celebrate?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #2  

Hi VV - I do not have children, but the way DH and I eat has changed significantly. It takes me hours to shop as I read every label and do an internal analysis on every product - not only fat and calories, but also trans, sodium, fiber, looking for hidden sugars and preservatives, etc. For example, I was willing to trade for the convienence (and fat) of Uncle Ben's brown rice in the microwave pouch until I discovered Rice Expressions frozen brown rice. We eat in more and to go out really sends me thinking "where do they actually make things that taste better than I can make at home?". We now eat fish most nights, organic chicken once a week. I have given up beef (never liked pork) and DH will order it out. I eat tuna, tofu or beans most days for lunch (salad or sandwich) with an occasional treat of turkey. We are much more adventurous with seasonal fruits and vegetables. Snack foods were the biggest change. The only thing "snacky" in house today are nuts, spelt pretzels and Triscuit crackers. Oh, DH has a chocolate things, so we have a small amount of dark in the house, too. Sugar free jello has been my "seweet reward" and I am willing to go the processed route for this one. While I am the one doing this for weight loss, we have both seen improved health including blood pressure and cholersterol numbers. Our lives have really changed and I do not see us going back.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #3  
Wellness*Body*Mind*Spirit

S/C/G: 320/320/?

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

Ellen, you ROCK! That is so great to hear that you take your heath (and your DH's health) seriously enough to familiarize yourself with what healthier choices are available. Good for you for including some organic foods and reducing your flesh consumption- it's good for you and the environment!

I love rice expressions too! It makes it easy to eat better! I just wish it were less expensive! I also love my rice cooker since it makes perfect rice with no thought required on my part. I just pour the rice and water in, throw a load of laundry in and 22 minutes later when I go to change the clothes from the washer to dryer, rice is done!

Keep up the good work!
Old 05-25-2005, 06:02 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

If I dared try to change hubby's diet, he'd divorce me. So we have two separate diets. My food on the top shelf in the cabinet, his on the bottom...that sort of thing. But I WILL rub off on our soon 2 be son. Dad's even concerned about his 4 to 6 cans of Mtn. Dew a day habit. As little as he cares for his own health, he doesn't want his son to pick up that habit. I'll just have to counter it with my 4 to 6-24 oz bottles of water a day. LOL
Closed Thread