General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:53 AM   #1  

Default ~~Fat Acceptance~~ Or Not?

I really wanted to get your ladies view points on this very Debatable topic. I was reading on a blog the other day called "My Big Fat Blog" and I am really truly mouth dropping about what he (the owner) wants to convey.

Even to the point if you do not agree, you can not post! (heard it via the grapevine, not sure if that is true and tested or now)?

I have to write and article for a magazine and perhaps it may be posted offline as well. At some point I felt anger when reading the above named blog!!! But I think pushing "Fat Acceptance" is wrong to a point...

Size Acceptance is different then "Fat Acceptance" and we should not discount any one by any means, but to lobby for "Fat Acceptance" those experts "per se" that lobby for this convey to stay the way they are seems "Un-healthy" am I wrong?

What are your feelings on this topic...

(moderator I was not sure where to place this thread, feel free to move it).

Last edited by Digital Girl; 05-10-2005 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:37 AM   #2  

Wow, this must be a topic that no-one wants to chat about!!!

Anyway ladies and gents I was really hoping to get your view points on this issue and wondering if I myself have the "wrong feelings" towards it?

Old 05-13-2005, 11:50 AM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I'm not sure what they're pushing though. Are they really pushing for people to remain fat and don't worry about it, or pushing for others to accept people as being fat and not to ridicule them? The latter I can go for. But the first is ridiculous...and destructive. They ignore health issues when the push people to remain fat. So it shows they have no real concern for the people they claim to be there for.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:50 AM   #4  

Yikes, I think I must have noded my head, was there a post and it has gone MIA?

LOL!

Old 05-13-2005, 11:54 AM   #5  

Quote:
But the first is ridiculous...and destructive. They ignore health issues when the push people to remain fat. So it shows they have no real concern for the people they claim to be there for.
Yes, you are so right on!!! The later was just my point, but have you heard of that "Blog" My big fat blog? I could be wrong but it seem like they encourage the first and not the later??? Love me the way I am yes, but I can not agree with "if I am fat, I am still happy"? Even if I am happy with everything else in myself I am so un-happy that I am not at goal yet...right?

Thank you for taking the time to answer this post...

Old 05-13-2005, 05:30 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

I haven't heard anything about it except what you mention here. Is there a link?

I always said I was just fine being overweight and didn't care if I lost or not. But I wasn't fine with my health issues and knowing I was cutting years off my life. And once I started to lose, I looked and felt so much better, that I can't figure out how I could have ever felt ok about my weight before.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:16 AM   #7  

Oh, sorry I should have included the link...

Big Fat Blog

With my weight gain I honestly felt like it hindered my spirit and self confidence, hopefully if I can lose these 58lbs I can start living life again without being so self Conscious, because I hate this feeling and it stops me from doing many things I want to do?

As each pound I drop towards my 58lb pound lost goal I can move my self confidence up a knotch...

Old 05-14-2005, 08:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

I read a little bit of the blog, and its a hard subject. I think every person that is over weight is some what self concious about it and when you go to a restraunt or on a plane and can't fit in the seat it makes it even worse. so if people are lobbying to make things more accessable to large people, that is good. I don't think though that many obese or morbidly obese people would want to remain that way if they had the choice. In one part the author is ridiculing some one who is lobbying for larger sized hospital equipment because they are losing weight themselves. That is just crazy. If you want to lose weight, you should be allowed to with out being told you are deserting the team so to speak.
I'm all for more accessable things, not seeing size 2 as the only image of beauty, and people finging a size and weight that is right for them. But honestly, I feel so much better as I lose weight, that I can't help but want to encourage everyoe to find a healthier life style that would probably help them lose weight. But then again, I'm at the part of my WLjourney that I'm actually losing weight maybe a few years ago when I wasn't ready to put in the effort to lose it, I would hav felt differently.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

Said to Bill Clinton:
Quote:
I hope you stay healthy, and I hope you respect that people can be healthy at any size.
Sounds to me like someone is so into justification that they'll delude themselves and others into thinking they can be overweight and healthy. This statement would mean that a 700 pound person can be just as healthy as a 130 pound person, and that's simply not logical thinking even without any stats to back it up.

Reading over there simply made my brain hurt. All I'm seeing are a bunch of excuses and lawsuit hungry complainers. One person complained about the gown her doctor gave her and it didn't fit. So she made a scene and the doc bought larger gowns. Then they complain about employers paying less because the health costs are more. That tells me they'd complain if the doctor charged them more for being overweight since it cost him more for those larger gowns that take more material to produce.

I've been there myself, and I didn't think it was the airlines responsibility to redo their aircraft to fit my inability to lose weight. I didn't feel it my doctor's responsibility to pay more for larger gowns. I was embarrassed at times, especially when the gowns wouldn't fit. But I was also smart enough to know that was MY fault and not the docs. And it wasn't the other patients' fault either and their costs shouldn't rise to make up for the added expense to accomodate the larger folk.

This sounds like just another group who wants to complain about something/anything. And a person doesn't have to be fat to complain. If I was someone who could fault others for everything and who had no problem with never taking any responsibility for myself, I suppose I could start a BigDumbBlondeBlog and complain about the discrimination and bad taste jokes toward blondes. But then again, if I REALLY had such a problem with it, why don't I just die my hair?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:31 PM   #10  

Quote:
Sounds to me like someone is so into justification that they'll delude themselves and others into thinking they can be overweight and healthy. This statement would mean that a 700 pound person can be just as healthy as a 130 pound person, and that's simply not logical thinking even without any stats to back it up.
Gosh, thank you, thank you!!! You are so right on, both replies, this is how I feel too in regards to this situation....

I had a friend that was overweight about 200lbs overweight and I was her friend regardless of anything, in my wedding I did what I had to do to accomdate her in a bridesmaid dress, but this blog gave me memories of her when we were a bit younger, she hated me and all my skinny friends, just becasue they were smaller , it drove me nuts what does someone say to a friend who acts this way?

Anyway, we are all grown up now but you are so right, it does make my brain hurt reading the blog, I thought I was the only one who felt this way, but I am glad that others feel the same.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Girl
I thought I was the only one who felt this way, but I am glad that others feel the same.
Good Lord no. I've always had a problem with hearing complaints about problems within a person's own control but they want to foist the blame onto someone else to keep from facing up to it themselves. I'm sure we all feel like that some days, when we just don't want to face a situation we ourselves have created. But some of us know better and try to correct that thinking, and others fall victim to it and make it a way of life.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:02 PM   #12  

Well said!!! Lovely choice of words! Your awesome!
Closed Thread