General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 01:52 AM   #1  

Default Diet pills

Does anyone use them? Are they safe? Do they work?

My brother lost 100 lbs using Metabolife, but they discontinued that and he said he tried other diet pills and they don't work--he thinks it was the ephedra, which is bad for you, right?

I was considering buying Xenadrine, any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hi there...

You might want to check the Buyer Beware forum, we have LOTS of threads there on diet pills.

Simply stated - think of it this way...if these pills *really* worked, there would be NO obesity (or very little).

It's true that ephedra has been 'outlawed' for sale...most of the diet pill companies have replaced it with 'bitter orange' which is already showing signs of being dangerous for some people.

Xenadrine? I wouldn't waste my money on it.

Bottom line...there are really no short cuts to losing weight. Proper nutrition and exercise (even being embraced by the US Gov't - you might have noticed they released new guidelines a few days ago recommending watching calories and EXERCISE) along with persistence is the only way to do it...
Old 01-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #3  
Back fat Be Gone!

Yes I have to admit I was a diet pill junky about 8 years ago. I took Metabolife and Diet Fuel for a couple years and was in the best shape of my life. But only because I was so speeded up from them. I would pop a pill then work out at the gym for about two hours, one of the hours I would do straight cardio, then I would head for a nearby park and rollerblade for 6 miles as fast as I could. If I would have known how bad those pills (ephedra) were for my heart like I do now, I would have never taken them. I probably took a good couple years off of my life thanks to those pills. Soooooooooo about a year ago after having my baby I did try the xenadrine because they are supposed to be ephedra free, and I found myself practically jumping out of my skin. The entire bottle is still sitting up in my cupboard. They make you feel absolutely horrible, it's like drinking 10 cups of coffee as fast as you can. Save your money, if you're really overweight take a trip to the doc's, I've been talking to people that are on Meridia and love it. Check the "Buyer Beware" forum, I have a xenical thread on there ( I recently started that) but there is a girl named Michelle on there with her Meridia story. She seems to be really happy with it, isn't having any bad side effects and is losing weight. I hate when people say "oh you don't need pills you can do it yourself", like if we could do it ourselves we wouldn't be logging on to this site. Some people just need that extra push. I've found that Weight Watchers works great for me. I just restarted it a couple days ago, the first couple days are rough because it does limit your food intake, but it doesn't keep you from the foods you love. Exactly a year ago this month I had lost 24lbs for my wedding on WW alone, in two months. I would suggest it to anyone. I don't do meetings I just bought the books off ebay that give me the points for different foods, and I stay within my points limit everyday.

Good luck to you!!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:58 AM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I've tried tons of diet pills over the years, some with Ephedra, some without. Not a one of them ever did a darned thing for me, cept possibly keep me up at night. Your brother's metabolism may have been more greatly affected by it than mine was. But would it be something you'd be willing to take for life? Because losing weight isn't the end. You have to manage to keep the weight off. Anyone can take a pill or get surgery and try to take weight off. But if they're still intent on eating the same way and sitting around not exercising in the same manner as they've always done, they'll be right back to where they started soon enough. So it would be like quitting smoking. You'd have to stop eating and start exercising cold turkey, and that's difficult. But if you change it a little at a time over time, you will both lose and change the entire way you perceive food and exercise.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #5  

Safe - NO keep your money. You can't be taking pills the rest of your life. You need to learn a healthy way of eating you can live with. This site is better and more helpful than any pill could ever be.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi there! I just thought I would jump in on this conversation. I also suggest checking out the buyer beware forum because it has some great threads on diet pills and medications.

I'm the michelle that Sugarholic was referring to.
I currently take Meridia and have done so for about 8 months now. I want to explain though that I need a bit of extra help and my doctor agreed to put me on it after she had seen that I wasn't making any progress on my own. I am hypothyroid and I also have a lung disease which has caused some extensive damage to the lower lobes of my lungs. My doctors agreed that since it was detrimental to my health to lose the weight that they would prescribe meds. I was a candidate for gastric bypass but my doctors didn't dare to put me through another surgery, as I have trouble breathing while under anesthesia and end up on a ventilator afterwards. I also have a hard time "coming to" after a surgery and always end up violently ill so surgery just wasn't an option. I have had better luck while being on Meridia but I am closely monitored by my doctors for any ill effects and so far have had none. I have bloodwork done every 3 months for my thyroid anyway so they also do a panel as well, to check kidney function and stuff like that. I also see my doctor every 4 weeks for a weigh in and blood pressure check. Now not everyone needs a diet pill and I'm not saying that I necessarily NEED it, but it has helped me to become successful, I have formed a healthy eating plan and exercise which I was doing before I was put on the meds with no results. The first month I was on it I lost an astonishing 17 lbs and I could breathe again without all that weight weighing on my chest I especially had problems at night and had to sleep in a recliner to keep the weight off of my chest just so I could breathe. I don't agree in the frivolous taking of medications and I have already voiced my concern to my doctors that once I am out of the seriously obese category (170 lbs) I want off the meds and to attempt the rest of my journey on my own. I stopped taking my meds 2 months ago just to see if I could lose on my own yet and my body was still resistant so I went back on it and have been losing once again. I didn't lose any weight during that time but I did find that I was able to maintain so that was comforting.

If you decide to take any sort of pills I strongly suggest you talk it over with your primary care physician first and have a check up done as well. I don't agree with peopl who order meds such as these over the internet as you can not be assured of their contents and you haven't been screened by a medical professional to see if you are at risk for any of the side effects associated with these drugs. OTC medicines the same thing, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR! I cannot stress this enough it's important it can mean life or death. The things that some of these companies can seriously mess you up.

Now that aside, have you tried to lose weight on your own first? Do you journal your food intake? (I have to turn in my food journal every month to my doctor for review) Do you have an effective exercise routine? This is the way that weight loss should be attempted if you feel there is something wrong and you aren't losing weight see a doctor to first screen for other problems such as low thyroid.

Okay I'm done ranting lol
Old 01-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #7  
L J

I am going to start on Phentermine Tuesday. I know A LOT of people that are on it, or have been on it, and the general concensus is that it really does help. Its not going to lose the weight for you though. Phentermine pretty much kills your appetite and gives you energy. The biggest side effect with it is dry mouth, which, in a way, is a good thing because it makes you WANT to drink all that water that we know is necessary to healthy weight loss.
I am realistic in knowing that even though I am going to be taking Phentermine, it is not a "quick fix" to my weight problem. I am going to continue to eat right (which will be easier to do, since I won't be craving anything) and exercise (also easier, because I will have more energy). Most doctors recommend taking Phen for only three months or so, just to help you in making lifestyle changes that you can live with forever.
Phen is not an OTC drug; you have to have a prescription from a doctor to get it. And, yes, you can get a prescription for it through an online "doctor". Just be really careful if you order online- make sure the company is reputable and show the pills to your pharmacist before taking them to be sure its the real deal.
HTH!

Old 02-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #8  

I took Phentermine for 2 days and quit. The side effect I had was I had TOO much energy! I took it in the morning when I woke up, and I would be awake until 3:00 in the morning. I'd wake up the next morning early, and not be tired. I decided that was too unhealthy. I wish it did not effect me like that. So I am giving it a go without it.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #9  

Default trimlife

Someone sent me a supply of trimlife. I have not started it yet as I am on xenical. I have lost some weight on it. It is not a diet pill so to speak but not everyone can handle the side affects of gas and diaherrea if they eat too many fats.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:43 AM   #10  

I was interested in startin on Meridia after a lot of research but it cost to much and I am not covered right now, so it would cost $100 for a month supply. I instead will try Phentermine cause Xenical would kill me due to already having light stomach problems. The Phen will cost me about $30 for the month, a huge difference.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:19 AM   #11  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Frankly, I consider all diet pills to be a colossal waste of money. Only kind of pills I buy are multivitamins, and they def give me energy to get through the day! Plus, you'll see more benefits from that than you ever would with diet pills.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:07 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

This topic has been discussed to death in the Does It Work Forum. This is an old thread so I'm closing it.
Closed Thread