General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #1  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Getting my tongue pierced...what should I eat?!

Not too sure if this is the right place to post it, but I didn't know where else to, butttt.....

I'm just kind of nervous because for the first three to five days I'm going to have a swollen tongue and I won't be able to eat solid foods or temperature hot or spicy hot foods.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can eat other than yogurt, sugar free pudding or smoothies? I want to get the most nutrition out of what I'm going to eat because it's probably going to be painful for the first few days.
However, I am TOTALLY looking forward to getting the piercing!

Anyone else have their tongue pierced?
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #2  
FB

Mine was pierced an awfully long time ago, 15 whopping years ago (I think the hole is still intact, hmm). I don't remember it being so terrible to eat I was unable to eat, but I have an unusual pain tolerance and a big old appetite (obviously, or I wouldn't be in need of losing all this weight).

I'd go for protein shakes (not Slimfast) and the like if you're in pain. While I'd never recommend them for any length of time at least you'd be getting some nutrients. There are some designed as meal replacements while others are designed as supplements. A clerk at the store should be able to help.

Speedy healing!

Last edited by FB; 09-23-2008 at 11:27 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #3  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Thank you! Thats a great idea. I'm also going to take Vitamin C and B complex supplements to help the healing process move along.
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #4  
Bikini Season :)

ive had it done for about 10 years... i just took it out 2 days ago.
i liked it a lot but it eventually wears down the gum line on your lower jaw and if you get into the habit of clicking it or running it on your teeth it will mess up your enamel.

i had a *really* hard time eating b/c of pain and swelling. i carried a cold squirt bottle that was 2 parts water 1 part listerine with me and squirted my mouth as often as i could and i chewed ice to help with the swelling.

i ate applesauce, smoothies, pudding... i was also unable to suck on a straw so anything i could spoon in and tongue down i did!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

I've had my tongue pierced for almost 5 years now... Wow. And when I take it out, I can't talk properly!.
Anywho, I remember when I came home after I got it done I ate potatoe salad just fine. My piercer recommened sucking on cold things for a few days afterwards... popsicles, ice cubes, etc.
Don't forget to listerine! Yellow listerine.
People will tell you all sorts of things to use, but listerine worked best for me.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

You could make smoothies and throw a hunk of silken tofu in it. No flavor, just protein and added calories.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #7  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

I had mine pierced over a year ago. I sucked on ice cubes to help the swelling, but it was never bad enough that I couldn't eat.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I never tried this, but a co-worker of mine told me to puree bean soup in a blender when I was having my wisdom teeth out. I don't have my tongue pierced, but I had to eat soft foods for awhile after having my teeth out. I ate mashed potatoes, yogurt, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs and juice.

Last edited by zenor77; 09-24-2008 at 12:38 AM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:06 AM   #9  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

ouch it sounds so painful, yet so cool....
im still trying to decide on a bellybutton piercing....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #10  

Height: 5,1"

I got mine done about 4 years ago and i couldnt eat a thing!! I'm really slow at healing so it was about 2 weeks before i could eat anything solid! I was told not to drink alcohol, spicy food, and various other thing so i was kinda stuck on soup and fruit juice but on the plus side, i lost loads of weight It's an awesome piercing to have, i loved it but i have dents in my gums where the balls used to sit...nice.
Cat
x
CatRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 221.8/221.8/160

Height: 5'3

I got mine done about 7 years ago but had to take it out when I had my son and never put it back in.

I remember the first day I just sucked on ice cubes cause of the swelling. I believe by the next day I could eat mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, yogurt, applesauce, pudding, stuff that was either soft or mushy was the best. I believe by day 3 or 4 I was fine to eat anything, just had to becareful with the new "object" in my mouth. There were plenty of times that I would bite down on it and that would hurt like heck!

Good Luck...Let us know how you make out with the tounge!!!
scarahjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Wow...the permanent gum and tooth damage doesn't sound worth it at ALL.

(And I have my nose pierced and 4 tattoos...)
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #13  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I could eat fine the night I got it done but I made sure I ate mushy foods, soups and sandwiches for like 2 days to get used to the feeling of the bar because if you accidentally bite it...OUCH. After you've done that I guarantee you'll never do it again!

I also recommend ice cubes just because they soothe your tongue but they're not always necessary.

Good luck with it! I've had mine done for 4 years and have no problems with my gums or tooth enamel.

Last edited by Jadeybaby; 09-24-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #14  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I remember that mostly the trouble with swelling was that it caused for my tongue to get tired, even if I wasn't eating foods I had to chew. Swallowing uses your tongue a lot more than you might think.

I used to have mine pierced for about 3 years, but I took it out a couple of years ago when my dentist noticed that my gum line on the back of my lower teeth was receding because of the barbell. Also, if you chomp down on a metal barbell it's pretty easy to crack or chip your teeth.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

I had mine done about five years ago and I really dont remember having too much trouble eating after.

I agree with LindsayLouWho, be careful of your teeth, I chipped a tooth on mine!

Good luck!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote