General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187.4/187.4/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Is it time for me to move?

Hi Everyone,
Thought I might get some good opinions from you all.

I've written here before about having had issues with the water in my apartment complex being shut off frequently because there is only one main pipeline to the whole complex (about 120 units) and about how the women at the office (mainly the property managing assistant) emails that it will be shut off between such and such time and how it's never accurate and how she says she will update everyone and never does (not to mention how she gets all snarky and rude when I call a half hour after she said it would be on to ask the status and answers me "I dunno. No one told me.") But now not only do the office people (including the property manager herself) never come when they say they will and don't keep to the times they say they will and don't bother to notify, but they also are starting to make up really lame and bizarre excuses.

We got an email last week about how they were going to come over to each person's apartment to check on some fixtures for possible upgrades. They gave an exact day and time frame of 2 hours when they would show up. Professional so far.

Today was my day and I waited. No one showed up by 12:30 and no word so I went to the office. Both the women were sitting there pretty as you please unconcerned. I mentioned that they said they would come by 12 and no one showed up. I got this really long rambling excuse about how they started to go around but it started to rain and they didn't want to track mud in people's apartments (which is BS because maintenance has come plenty of times in the rain and they weren't all that concerned about tracking mud). I did get off my chest (in the nicest and most professional way I could since I, unlike them, am a professional) about how they've been irresponsible about letting people know when they weren't going to keep to the times they said they would and how I didn't think it was unreasonable to expect them to adhere to the times (it's called professionalism) or let us know if they couldn't and how it wasn't really respectful of our time. And then I got the whopper of an excuse - "I wasn't going to say anything but we found a resident dead this morning in one of the apartments." Seriously??? And what does that have to do with anything? And if she wasn't lying (which I don't believe for a moment because if a resident had been found dead then there would have been sirens of an ambulance and it's been very quiet all day), I'm sorry the person is dead but what is that my concern? Is that any excuse to be irresponsible and unprofessional?

The complex got great reviews, which is one reason why I chose it (in addition to it's location and price range) and I've been happy with the apartment itself and also the area and the maintenance people have been fairly good at responding. But now I feel like all I'm getting is a lot of excuses and the wacko one makes me think I'm being played. Unlike most of the other residents, I work from home so I am home all day. My guess is that if you're not home all day here and only have to deal with the office women occasionally, they are great. But if you're here and have to experience it, you suddenly see how irresponsible they are and how unprofessional they are.

I've lived in many many apartment complexes in this city. Although there have been some times when the maintenance people haven't come when they said they would, I've always been able to call the office and they've sent them right away or told me when they could come again and then the maintenance people came at that time. So I don't think this is something that every rental apartment complex experiences everywhere.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting that a property management office of a complex of 120 units would come when they say they will and let people know if they couldn't, especially if they know that there are residents who are in the complex all day? I know that there is no guarantee that another place will be better but I'm pretty tolerant of things when people are professional and respectful and I don't feel like these people are remotely being that and haven't been since I renewed my contract in July.

Unfortunately, I can't move until my lease is up in July and if I do, I'll want to move to another complex in this area, as I really love it. It will also mean paying more (perhaps quite a bit more) for another apartment, as these guys are the cheapest in this area (which should have been a warning to me - you get what you pay for...)

Thank you for listening to my vent :-).

Djuna

I feel like I'm being played which I do not appreciate at all.
djunamod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It's a tough situation. You may not have explored all your options yet though. Have you tried talking to other tenants and ask them how they are coping with this incompetence? I know you say that most work during the day and don't have to deal with this stuff but I bet you're wrong, they do have to deal with it in their own way. Not to mention all the people with small children at home who have no running water or the elderly who have no water to take their mess with.

There is such a thing as effective complaint - rally your neighbors and approach management as a group. Form a tenants association. It's easier to get your voice heard if it is loud. I think it's worth doing even if you do plan on moving next year.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #3  
maintaining since 9/2013

I'd suggest keeping a simple log of all the water turnoffs and no-shows, with dates, times. Also iit can be worthwhile to check the health codes & rental laws. There are regulations & laws governing rental property. In my state, a landlord is required to provide hot & cold running water, among other things. Failure to do so means the tenant can withhold rent for days when water or other basic necessities are not provided. If you have laws like that, just the mention of them can spur the landlord to do the right thing.

Best of luck!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/150/150

Height: 5'7

I would move when my lease was up. These people are not serious about what they do.
LesGetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Google your state's Landlord tenant law!

Land lords are notorious, for getting away with stuff, because the tenant never bothers to find out what their rights are.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote