General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Opinions wanted: questions for my doctor

I have a visit in the next few months with my doctor and I would like to ask for some kind of testing or medical advice on a cluster of symptoms or things I've been dealing with for many years now. I'm not sure if any or all are related so I wanted to throw my list out here for you guys and get some feedback. Are there specific things that I should be asking my doctor based on this list?

- inability to adjust between hot/cold temps, I stay cold and unable to warm up, once I'm warm, I'm quickly overheated and unable to cool down, thyroid was checked about 5 years ago and was normal then
- self diagnosed prediabetic
- prone to lung infections (pneumonia/bronchitis), several times a year
- unable to fight off head colds, always turns into lung infection
- prone to sinus infections and ear infections
- consistently running low grade fever when feeling fine, 99.2-99.9
- unexplained allergies, testing did not turn up much
- random hives, also unexplained by testing, prescribed epipen for the worst ones
- bad reactions to bug bites including scarring
- asthma
- spinal injuries since I was a teen
- possibly sensitive to wheat and dairy, not tested

PROS (GOOD THINGS!!)
- normal blood pressure readings, always
- cholesterol is fantastic (low on the bad, high on the good)
- high bone density per testing
- regular exercise
- average eating habits (not terrific but not terrible)

FAMILY HISTORY:
- uncle with RA
- father with allergies, asthma, excema, psoriasis
- mother diagnosed sensitive to wheat and sugar
- mother's sister died after birth of spina bifida

I'm going to copy/print this list for my doctor....Any feedback would be appreciated. Perhaps it's nothing at all....But I'm getting tired of fighting pneumonia several times a year and being cold all the time.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

If you are on a diet being cold goes with the territory I am afraid. I used to shiver my ar$e off when I was eating less to lose weight, especially after eating. I had to turn up the heat in my office. People would enter it and ask why it was so hot.

But on the other things, you could ask for a white blood cell count. If that is low, for example due to hepatitis, you might be prone to getting sick more. Mine was low despite not getting sick because I run a lot which can affect the results.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Out of curiosity, how did you self diagnose diabetes?
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Except for the skin allergy/reaction and need for epi pen, your symptom list is identical to mine of a few years ago. I still have many, except my allergies, asthma, and respiratory infections have virtually disapeared. I use low doses of Oct allergy meds a few days a year instead of high doses of prescription meds daily all year long.

For me, it turned out that NSAIDS (like ibuprofen, naproxen, relafen...) were causing or exacerbating most of the respiratory and sinus/ear issues. If you take aspirin or nsaids frequently, it would be something to consider.

The rest are part of my autoimmune issues, diabetes, and chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia.

I think it would be reasonable to ask for autoimmune and endocrine panels (the tests SeeMyFeet mentioned and a few more like the thyroid and immunoglobulin tests), and the blood tests and glucose tolerance tests for blood sugar issues, since you already suspect them.

The unfortunate part of autoimmune issues like RA, is that the test results often are not conclusive. False negatives and to a lesser degree, false positives are common.

Many of the autoimmune and inflammation books I read, recommended low or lowish sugar/grain/carbohydrate to one degree or another, so I experimented.

For me, there's definitely a carb connection. I was entirely gluten-free for a while, but now I do eat wheat occasionally. An occasional pasta dish and trace amounts in things like soy sauce don't seem to cause problems, but even small amounts of bread cause problems. It may be yeast rather than gluten, I'm not sure. Sugar also triggers issues. I can eat fruit without problems (unless I go nuts and gorge myself), so moderate-carb paleo works best for feeling great works best.

To lose weight, I need a lower carb and lower calorie paleo. I don't have as much energy when restricting carbs and calories, but I think that's just the trade-off for losing weight.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-03-2015 at 01:39 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
Out of curiosity, how did you self diagnose diabetes?
I'm already trained through the hospital here to manage diabetes in elementary students. So I'm very familiar with the equipment and blood glucose monitoring information. My fasting blood glucose immediately upon waking up always tests between 100-120, the prediabetic range. I also test one and two hours after certain foods to see if my blood sugar has stabilized within a "normal" range and with carbs/sugars, especially wheat products, it does not. I don't test as often anymore, because I know how foods affect my blood sugar. I sometimes test to see whether my FBG is still sitting in a prediabetic range, and it always is If it ranges into diabetic levels, I will talk to a doctor about further management.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

thank you everyone for the feedback! now I have an idea of what I need to talk to the doctor about and the names of some of these tests!

kaplods - I don't take any aspirin/NSAIDS on a regular basis but I used to several years ago for a spinal issue...I am experimenting with cutting wheat products to see if it makes a difference in any of these other issues
Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

You live in Alaska! I would be cold all the time, too!!

I don't know how old you are. When I started through menopause I developed all sorts of issues I never had before. Thyroid could change over years. A lot could go back to your family history, especially parents.

My diabetes started out the same way as yours. It would be best to start managing it before it becomes full blown diabetes.

My main concern would be the recurring infections and low grade fever.

Good luck at the doctor's, I hope you get answers.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/157/153

Height: 5 ft. four inches

The spinal injuries may have caused damage to nerves controlling your autonomic nerve system. This would explain the trouble with heat and cold and regulating your body temperature. I met a lady who had the same issues due to a spinal injury.
Valkyrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #9  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
You live in Alaska! I would be cold all the time, too!!

I don't know how old you are. When I started through menopause I developed all sorts of issues I never had before. Thyroid could change over years. A lot could go back to your family history, especially parents.

My diabetes started out the same way as yours. It would be best to start managing it before it becomes full blown diabetes.

My main concern would be the recurring infections and low grade fever.

Good luck at the doctor's, I hope you get answers.
This is why I have lost weight, am eating better, and now getting regular exercise for the past several years. This is why I have prevented it from developing into full blown diabetes. I'm definitely not sitting on the sidelines.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #10  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie1 View Post
The spinal injuries may have caused damage to nerves controlling your autonomic nerve system. This would explain the trouble with heat and cold and regulating your body temperature. I met a lady who had the same issues due to a spinal injury.
Interesting!! I never would have thought of that connection! I have an extra vertebrae in my lower L-area of my spine, as well as sustained an injury as a teenager that pushed my vertebrae in that area twisted sideways and pushed inwards. I then had many ruptured discs in that area. Eventually a chiropractor untwisted my spine to the best of his ability and I haven't had any more ruptured discs, although one vertebrae is facing backwards from where it should be. Short of surgery, my back is as good as it's getting and doesn't regularly bother me much. However I never thought of there being a connection between the damage and the nervous system!
Old 09-27-2015, 12:04 AM   #11  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Just right down all of your concerns, and since one way or the other, the Dr. gets paid.

You have concerns.

This is about customer service!

BTDT!

Behind me is, female issues, ovariohysterectomy, and double amputee, (workmans comp) (heart surgery) husband.

Doctors have a lot of education, but they go by what we tell we tell them. So, we need to be proactive in the service we get.

On the other hand, you can't get something, that can't be given.

In the end, we as people need to keep in mind, things change, be observant, track body/behavior changes and so onl Be honest with yourself and your Dr.

Ironically, I work for a veterinarian, and after 11 years, of this, it would amaze you, after just a few questions, how much I can narrow down, what is up with your concern.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Yes exactly! That's why I wanted to write it all down to take to my dr in the next few months....And why I wanted to get some feedback here on what kind of things I need to ask and/or what tests may be appropriate to ask for. I don't want to go into a dr visit "blind" so to speak, with no idea what might be good questions or testing to ask about.