General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: ... need to be at 210 or less.

Height: 6 foot 2

Default Wash hair without shampoo???

I heard the commercial for "Wen" which is an expensive, commercial hair cleaning product that claims to clean your hair without soap and it is not shampoo.

So, are there any comparable products out there that clean hair without soap which they claim strips your hair of moister and other nutrients.

Please let me know if you guys know of any healthy hair cleaning products that are good for your hair.
KM Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/150/150

Height: 5'7

Wen is a cleansing conditioner. There are many other brands like it. Lots of women feel that shampoo strips their hair and is too harsh. My hair stylist friend says you can use most conditioners in this manner, and she only washes her hair once a week. For me, shampoo is an absolute necessity, so I can't give you any personal recommendations. Google it though, because going shampoo free is all the rage online lately, haha. Good luck!
LesGetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I think a lot depends on your hair. If you have oily hair it's necessary to wash more often. I have thick unruly hair and it's usually necessary to wash in order to be able to style it. I also use hair spray, so styling it without washing is difficult. A co-worker used Wen. She had beautiful long hair. Actually, I didn't see a difference after she started using the Wen.
Wannabehealthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I eat a lot of fish. Most people know that. I also work out a lot and shower at least twice a day most days. For about a year now I have not used shampoo. I just use water. And it's fine.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

Washing with shampoo strips your hair of it's natural oils and the idea of conditioner is that it "adds" the moisture back to your hair. Because of this constant process, our heads are in over drive to produce oil, which is why our hair gets so greasy so fast if we wash it every day with products.

In an ideal hair world, everyone would have "normal" oil production for their hair and it wouldn't be too much or too little. But, everyone produces different amounts based on their lifestyle and genetics.

Anyway, this is what I discovered when I did an experiment a while back. I stopped washing my hair in the traditional sense. (The movement for this is called "no pooing" haha!) I would wash it in the shower with water and that was all. Occasionally I would use egg with some other ingredients (I forget what they were) that would cleanse my hair without stripping all the oils out of it.

There is an initial phase with this that last a long time, months generally, where your hair is limp and ridiculously oily as your scalp readjusts to not producing so much oil. This phase is a pain in the ***. But! If you are committed to the process then it eventually will balance itself out.

I ended up stopping because my ex *****ed constantly about my hair not smelling good. Which meant that didn't smell like flowers and artificial things and smelly like hair without those things smells, not that it smelled bad. I got tired of hearing about it, so I ended my experiment. I've been thinking about it recently again, and I may just do it again since there is no one to ***** about my experiments anymore. Haha!
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

I get dandruff easily (and have black hair) so I absolutely use shampoo. BUT! I only shampoo my hair a few times a week! That seems to do the trick. Everyone's hair is different!
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I got tired of hearing about it, so I ended my experiment.
I wish you had said the boyfriend!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Forget the Wen, I bought it and it's not magic. It's just conditioner. And I didn't really like it, I didn't noticed anything spectacular about it. Just pricey.

I knew I needed a change though, I felt like no matter how much I washed my hair it would get too oily too fast (I have very fine hair) and I needed to wash daily if not twice daily. I hated it! So I found a way to cut way down on shampoo. My experience is somewhat like birdtostone, except I do shampoo once a week with a paraben-free sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.

The beginning was really hard, it was a few months that I felt like a grease-head but I kept my hair in a bun or ponytail and stuck it out.

Girlfriend, let me tell you that this has transformed my hair from being a limp oily mess to being full and shiny and beautiful. It feels like I have way more hair than ever now and I'm not a slave to shampooing. I shower as much as I like and wet my hair and it feels clean. I'm sure I could learn to go longer without shampooing but I do use some products in my hair so I don't want to.

Try it, it takes dedication in the beginning but you can go without shampoo.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I wish you had said the boyfriend!
Haha! That's okay, we're not together any more so it's not an issue. Live and learn.
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:09 AM   #10  
Warrior Princess

If it's a good quality shampoo/conditioner I see no reason to not wash at least every other day. If your hair is oily use clarifying a few times a week, if it's dry use moisturizing every day. There's tons of products out there for virtually every hair type. I'm a stylist and I can smell when someone hasn't washed in a few days and it's gross.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/222/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
If it's a good quality shampoo/conditioner I see no reason to not wash at least every other day. If your hair is oily use clarifying a few times a week, if it's dry use moisturizing every day. There's tons of products out there for virtually every hair type. I'm a stylist and I can smell when someone hasn't washed in a few days and it's gross.
Yep; I had my oldest sons best friend living with us for a while. He and his gal friends would not wash their hair. They would rinse it off, but never shampoo it and after a while, it really was stinky. I do not see how they do it but I got him to at least use a baking soda wash/rinse on it once a week and it was a great improvement odor-wise, with also not actually washing his hair.
Cikan is offline   Reply With Quote