General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #16  

I agree with Palestrina. Is anyone else on this thread that's judging actually a mom besides Palestrina and I? The best parents are always ones that don't have kids...
This is why I was curious what she was doing...maybe it was something important...we really don't know.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 06-29-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I agree with Palestrina
Omg I think I just saw a piggy fly past my window! Lol just kidding. But truly I don't mean to judge the OP, just saying is it possible this woman was not the worst mom in the world? I know there are certain days that my son can be so overwhelmingly clingy that after several hours I just "can't" anymore. It can bring you to your knees and make you curl up into a ball and put your hands over your ears. It happens, sometimes your own child can overwhelm you.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
I don't think it's the OPs fault...if I saw a mother with a little girl and a baby by the side of the road and the mother was busy tending to the baby while the little girl drifted dangerously into the street I wouldn't sit back and judge the mother, I'd run over and help rather than sit idly by and see something terrible happen just so that I could walk away judgmentallly calling that woman a bad mother.
You say it's not the OP's fault, but you provide contrasting context clues in your example that indicate otherwise. Many of us here are also mothers, and there's no way we would have taken our child to a public place such as an aquarium and taken our eyes off him/'her for a moment, for the phone or any other reason. If we are judging the mother, it's because we believe the mother is to blame, as does the OP who was there, saw what happened, and came on here to post her frustration.

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-29-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
Is anyone else on this thread that's judging actually a mom besides Palestrina and I?

Yes.

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-29-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #20  

I didn't contradict myself in any way. I said that what happened was NOT the OP's fault. But she did judge the woman. There's nothing contrary in that. If the OP had any clue as to why the mother behaved like that it would be a different story. The mother may have been more interested in her smartphone but she does not know the reason for that. Maybe she was finally hearing back from a job interview! Maybe someone in the family is at the hospital and she was getting an update on their condition. Maybe she was waiting for husband to arrive but he was late and hadn't heard from him and she was worried about an accident. Maybe her elderly grandmother had fallen on the ground and the woman was trying to get in touch with emergency services.

But yes, let's go over there and punch her and call her a bad mom. OR, maybe go over there without assumptions and see if there is anything you can do to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
You say it's not the OP's fault, but you provide contrasting context clues in your example that indicate otherwise. Many of us here are also mothers, and there's no way we would have taken our child to a public place such as an aquarium and taken our eyes off him/'her for a moment, for the phone or any other reason. If we are judging the mother, it's because we believe the mother is to blame, as does the OP who was there, saw what happened, and came on here to post her frustration.
I call BS. Everyone gets distracted. It happens, humans are not without flaws.

Last edited by Palestrina; 06-29-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
...But truly I don't mean to judge the OP, just saying is it possible this woman was not the worst mom in the world? I know there are certain days that my son can be so overwhelmingly clingy that after several hours I just "can't" anymore. It can bring you to your knees and make you curl up into a ball and put your hands over your ears. It happens, sometimes your own child can overwhelm you.
This does not come across as blaming the OP, but rather focuses on the mother and what she might have been experiencing. It doesn't change my mind about the mother having failed in her responsibility to care for her child as she should have, but I can appreciate your point-of-view.

As for you calling my statement about not taking my eyes of my child in a crowded public place BS, I'm not surprised.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
This does not come across as blaming the OP, but rather focuses on the mother and what she might have been experiencing. It doesn't change my mind about the mother having failed in her responsibility to care for her child as she should have, but I can appreciate your point-of-view.

As for you calling my statement about not taking my eyes of my child in a crowded public place BS, I'm not surprised.
Sounds like a personal problem. This is a judgment you're placing on me. I'm more apt to sympathize with the woman in the OP's scenario because it's plausible. Being a perfect mother, well there is no such thing.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #23  

I'm not surprised because you've listed a number of excuses for the mother instead of believing that a mother's first priority in a situation like that is to watch over her child, period. Therefore, why would I be surprised if you believe that mothers can go somewhere with their children like this and be responsible enough to watch them carefully without making such a potentially costly mistake? It's a rhetorical question. I've said what I had to say.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #24  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Time to change the subject. Play nicely, Ladies!
Closed Thread