General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Everybody on the internet is crazy

I'll start off by admitting I spend too much time on internet forums and I'm working on that.

That being said, this just happened. There's a picture of, in my opinion, a physically attractive lady who engaged in some very unattractive behavior. I say to myself "Bet I can't get five comments in without someone talking about how ugly she is." Sure enough, it starts only three comments in. I post "Hey, I bet myself a cup of coffee I couldn't five comments in without someone slamming her looks. Thanks!"

Now a bunch of people are on my case for pointing out that her looks are being attacked (implied but unstated that maybe it's her character people should be going after.) Apparently, I "blanket-denigrated" people and also I'm ugly and should shut up. And need to get over something. I'm not sure what. Oh, and I'm passive-aggressive.

Newsflash people: if someone pointing out superficiality bothers you this much, maybe you're superficial.

And now I should log off the internet and work, which is what I should have been doing in the first place.
Violette_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #2  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Yes, yes we are all crazy. I've learned that the best thing to say is nothing at all. People who make comments like that are never going to listen... I don't think anyone has ever said "I'm so glad I read that one Facebook comment. I'm going to completely reform my sexist/racist/judgemental ways starting now!"

They make over thr top comments like that cause they are unhappy in some way and want to stir the pot, see people raged and hurt someone's feelings. So don't listen to what they said about you, its totally not true. Keep being an awesome person and it will change the world ... Just not on comment forums like Facebook and youtube. *sigh*
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #3  

LOL, one of my actual replies to someone was "It's like Youtube up in here!"

Happy, productive people don't spend their days arguing with and insulting strangers on the internet. Hence, my trying really hard to wean myself off the commenting. This week should help with that. (Yesterday I mentioned my late father being a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon and was asked why I wasn't at my Klan rally.)

I spent my afternoon in a meeting with actual people, which was a pleasant antidote. I'm not getting enough of that at my current job, which is how I ended up back in a morass I thought I had renounced.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I find myself disappointed daily in how people behave when commenting on news articles or on posts on social networking sites. Especially if they think they're anonymous.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #5  
Warrior Princess

People are downright vicious on Facebook comment sections. Makes me sick.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Yes many people are vicious. I think most sensible people after awhile decide lie you did to really be selective what sites you stick with.

I ham retiring from 40 years in education. What I find discouraging is how few people actually read the orignal post if it more than two sentences before they start mounhing off about it.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post

I ham retiring from 40 years in education. What I find discouraging is how few people actually read the orignal post if it more than two sentences before they start mounhing off about it.
Reading comprehension is shockingly poor.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I find myself disappointed daily in how people behave when commenting on news articles or on posts on social networking sites. Especially if they think they're anonymous.
Justin Halpern (Sh!t My Dad Says) once wrote that it's scary that someday the world will be ruled by a generation that thinks it can say whatever it wants without getting punched in the face.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I am thinking about buying an iPhone 6. I went on one of the sites that reviews such things and was amazed at the nasty comments between the Apple consumers and the Android lovers. Don't people have anything better to do? The android people call the Apple people "fanbois". Ha ha.

By the way, I have products in both formats, so don't anyone give me a bad time. LOL!

Violette, I think the world is going to be run by a bunch of wingnuts and life as we know it will be over. I probably need to quit reading the politics forums.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
Don't people have anything better to do?
I'm guessing they don't, or they'd be doing it. Isn't that sad for them?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #11  

The bottom line....PEOPLE LOVE DRAMA.

They may not admit it, but...drama is exciting, bad, good...but never indifferent.
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
The bottom line....PEOPLE LOVE DRAMA.

They may not admit it, but...drama is exciting, bad, good...but never indifferent.
I secretly believe this is why I'm still single. I'm even-keeled and emotionally self-sufficient but men secretly want crazy women full of drama. The last man who dumped me almost said as much. "You're everything I thought I wanted, so pleasant and kind and easy to be with when so many women are just unpleasant b-----s. But... ."
Old 03-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseAndSensibility View Post
Yes, yes we are all crazy. I've learned that the best thing to say is nothing at all. People who make comments like that are never going to listen... I don't think anyone has ever said "I'm so glad I read that one Facebook comment. I'm going to completely reform my sexist/racist/judgemental ways starting now!"

They make over thr top comments like that cause they are unhappy in some way and want to stir the pot, see people raged and hurt someone's feelings. So don't listen to what they said about you, its totally not true. Keep being an awesome person and it will change the world ... Just not on comment forums like Facebook and youtube. *sigh*
So sensible. You are absolutely right - don't encourage the nut cases with a comment. It's so hard sometimes to keep one's mouth shut. I'm gonna reform myself - NOT. That is a great observation
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:25 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Just sit back with a glass of wine and smile. It's nice to watch the crazies and have some entertainment, but you never actually going in the yard with them. Next, you might be the next one flapping your wings and making frog noises. Commenting is dangerous territory. :P
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote