General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #76  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

I'm glad she had a somewhat decent reaction. Don't even worry about "what now". Just go with it for the time being. Sending you extra .
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I'm wondering if your mother has an early form of dementia? I work in a nursing home and we have residents in their late 60's, early 70's with dementia. Paranoia and anger are both symptoms that can accompany the disease. It's fortunate yet unfortunate that she has her husband because on one hand, he's helping her out at home, but on another hand he's enabling her to go on without seeking medical attention for a problem she has (paranoia is not a normal emotion). Whatever happens at least you KNOW that you did everything you could in your power to reconcile things with her. It's unfortunate she doesn't realize this, but there's only so much you can do. You are a good daughter.
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #78  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
I'm wondering if your mother has an early form of dementia? I work in a nursing home and we have residents in their late 60's, early 70's with dementia. Paranoia and anger are both symptoms that can accompany the disease. It's fortunate yet unfortunate that she has her husband because on one hand, he's helping her out at home, but on another hand he's enabling her to go on without seeking medical attention for a problem she has (paranoia is not a normal emotion). Whatever happens at least you KNOW that you did everything you could in your power to reconcile things with her. It's unfortunate she doesn't realize this, but there's only so much you can do. You are a good daughter.
That has been suggested by several people- the problem is she won't go to the doctor so it's impossible to determine if this is a mental illness or dementia or other.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

I just read this thread with such amazement. My late father was so much like Dee's Mother in every way. He was always critical and quick to anger but while my mother was alive she served as his buffer to the world, like Dee's father does for her mother. After she died, he lived on for twenty years, totally estranged from one brother, back and forth with the other and always angry at me for something.

Like Dee's mother he was most angry at me for something I hadn't done at all. I happened to be with him when a realtor was helping him look for a smaller house, closer to town. He fell in love with a little house that I knew had things wrong. I spent days trying to talk him out of it but he bought it anyway and then spent the next ten years blaming me for everything that went wrong with it. I would get phone calls like this: "The hot water tank just blew up in this house you got me into. It's a total piece of crap! I would give anything if you had stayed home and minded your own business!" (It was almost funny.)

I would drive thirteen hours to visit him and he meet me at the door to tell me the last letter I wrote was too light hearted and "funny," to come in the same month that his wife died. "I ought to get a gun and shoot you!"

Sigh. Yes, he was having mini-strokes and some dementia, we found out later, but he was always bad tempered and a diagnosis wouldn't have made a lot of difference. Old age, loneliness and boredom all fueled his need to have a target for his anger and frustration and who better than his only daughter?

I second what Babygrant said:
Quote:
Whatever happens at least you KNOW that you did everything you could in your power to reconcile things with her. It's unfortunate she doesn't realize this, but there's only so much you can do. You are a good daughter.
I tried to remain fairly passive during his rants. Argument and logic was considered "sass" so I would just mumble, "Sorry," until it passed and then we'd go out to lunch like nothing had happened. I was fortunate to live far enough away that I wasn't expected to visit too often, although I did keep writing and phoning. We actually had some good phone calls about what he had just watched on TV or read in the news. It wasn't all bad. He was an intelligent man with a good sense of humor and was liked by people not on his enemy list.

There was a moment I'll never forget, as I was saying goodbye after a visit where he had been particularly awful to me. He suddenly looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, "Please don't give up on me."

Dee, I think your mother knows she's a pill and that she pushes away the people who love her most. For some reason she can't help herself. I think you're doing just the right things -- sending her flowers, keeping in touch as much as she will allow. You are a good daughter and someday when she's gone, like my father is, you'll be glad you tried to shrug off the bad and love that prickly parent in spite of herself.

(((hugs)))
FluffyFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #80  
writing4NicoleC

S/C/G: 200/195/140

Height: 5'6"

Wow girl, I feel for you....

Perhaps you can respond to your Mom with "I am sorry if I hurt you" that why you are not actually taking the blame for something you didn't do...Mom's can be pretty crazy at times our hormones are always raging, triggers are let off with the drop of a feather....

hope things get better for you, you certainly are justified to be hurt as well
writing4NicoleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:26 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

I just read this thread and I am in such awe at all the mothers who are so mean and horrid to their kids. I do know it happens but when you see it and read about it from real people it just puts things into perspective and breaks my heart. We as kids are automatically programed to need the unconditional love from our parents from the moment we are born for the rest of our lives to live healthy and happy lives. When that doesn't happen it makes it difficult.

I am so very thankful and blessed that I had a Mom that was so good to me. As good as she was to me she did have her moments where she drove me insane with her pity parties and guilt trips but nothing like anything that anyone has described here. She would have done anything for me and loved me unconditionally. Sadly I lost her just after my 30th birthday and I miss her everyday.

My hearts go out to you! Because me and some of my relatives didn't always get along she said that because someone is your blood doesn't mean that you have to sit back and take their abuse. Eagle, I know it's painful and I do know you're trying but at some point you have to protect yourself. Whatever the outcome I do wish you all the best.
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #82  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenDestiny View Post
Eagle, I know it's painful and I do know you're trying but at some point you have to protect yourself. Whatever the outcome I do wish you all the best.
Thanks. There's been no change- she is still ignoring me, and I have reached the point where I'm used to it and don't dwell on it so much like I used to. It bothers me, but what can I do?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote