General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Need Makeup Help!

I have a holiday party to attend next week and need to buy some simple make up....I need some suggestions, specific to brands etc, colors.

I NEVER wear make up...I don't own any and don't plan to continue wearing any but would like to look really nice for this party.

I need to buy something cheap. I would like a basic lipstick, some kind of foundation(?), cover up(?), something like that, and some basic eye shadow. I have blue eyes and a pink-tinged complexion with no acne issues.

Can someone tell me some good brands, colors etc to look for? I'm shopping on Sunday I think for this party. Thanks!!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #2  

Do you have a local salon you can go to for a make-up application? It will be about $25 and will look perfectly applied. It's almost the same amount you'd spend for a bunch of stuff you don't want to use again anyways.
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastStraw323 View Post
Do you have a local salon you can go to for a make-up application? It will be about $25 and will look perfectly applied. It's almost the same amount you'd spend for a bunch of stuff you don't want to use again anyways.
Yeah, I agree with this comment. If you're just using it for a day, you'll spend far less money (for a far nicer product) by just having the makeup application done for you.

Salons will do it (if they do things like facials there), but so will a lot of the makeup stores in the mall, like MAC and others. Since you're not used to wearing makeup, I'd suggest asking for a very subtle look, with neutral colours that complement your face.

A makeup shop might be a better option than a salon, if only because the people there tend to be really enthusiastic about makeup and trends and different looks. Some places will give you product in the amount you spend for the makeup application, too, since mostly they do it to promote their products. And they should take appointments.

Last edited by faiora; 11-21-2014 at 07:17 PM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #4  

Good idea, faiora! I didn't even think of the mall.
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It's one thing to buy some cheap make up, it's a whole other story to apply it if you don't know how to. You're better off doing as these ladies suggest and get it done for you. I don't think you necessarily have to go to a salon or a department store because if you do you will be under the slight obligation to buy something. If you don't want to do that I would ask your most stylish friend, someone who you can obviously see is good at applying make up and ask her to do your makeup for you, offer to clean her brushes for her and take her out for brunch in return.

Make up is so much fun, I can't understand why so many women don't wear it. I'm all for woman power and everything but if applied subtly and correctly can make your natural beauty shine. A little concealer and foundation to even out the skin tone, you can buy tinted moisturizer for this since you have to wear moisturizer anyway! A little mascara to make your eyes pop, and a bit of tinted lip balm will go a long way. And if you're on the wrong side of 35 you absolutely have to have blush, there's no getting around that I'm afraid, it can take 10yrs off your look.

If you do get your make up done and happen to like the look then go shopping for some make up. There are a lot of awesome youtube videos on how to apply it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

"The wrong side of 35"? Gasp! I've just discovered I'm on the wrong side?!?!?! Oh no!

And I don't have any blush!!!!!!! Seriously, there isn't ANY blush in the house, I haven't worn blush since I was a teen.

Wannabeskinny, what have you done to me?!?! Here I was drinking my coffee and eating an apple and now I'm a hot mess realizing I could look 37 if only there was blush in the house!!!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
I have a holiday party to attend next week and need to buy some simple make up....I need some suggestions, specific to brands etc, colors.

I NEVER wear make up...I don't own any and don't plan to continue wearing any but would like to look really nice for this party.

I need to buy something cheap. I would like a basic lipstick, some kind of foundation(?), cover up(?), something like that, and some basic eye shadow. I have blue eyes and a pink-tinged complexion with no acne issues.

Can someone tell me some good brands, colors etc to look for? I'm shopping on Sunday I think for this party. Thanks!!
I would agree with the other suggestions you've been given.

Since you say you NEVER wear make up, with all due respect, would you be able to apply it properly? Everyone is different and has different coloring. That said, not everyone can wear everything. I've been a make up lover for years and even now, I know there are certain things I simply can not wear or I will look hideous!

If you aren't planning to wear it again, you are best going to a professional or as suggested asking a friend who wears makeup regularly to apply it for you.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
"The wrong side of 35"? Gasp! I've just discovered I'm on the wrong side?!?!?! Oh no!

And I don't have any blush!!!!!!! Seriously, there isn't ANY blush in the house, I haven't worn blush since I was a teen.

Wannabeskinny, what have you done to me?!?! Here I was drinking my coffee and eating an apple and now I'm a hot mess realizing I could look 37 if only there was blush in the house!!!
Oops, sorry didn't mean to make you feel bad love! I'm 38 and I NEVER wore blush in my entire life. I've always loved make up but I didn't always feel the need to wear it every day. So sometimes I'd go out with make up and other days I would go out bare faced and never thought twice about it. The past couple of years though it's been a different story. Now when I go out without any makeup at all I get odd questions like "are you ok, is everything ok?" or "are you not feeling well?" It's humiliating and since I feel OK and NOT SICK then I don't want to be asked that. My daily makeup routine takes less than 5 minutes and involves only concealer, blush, mascara and tinted lip balm. Because let's face it, as we get a little older the pigment in our lips and cheeks seems to fade fade fade, our skin gets a little drier and we need to replenish that youthfulness. You don't have to be drag queen made up to look nice and put together.

Just yesterday I went to a family birthday party and my MIL was there with my SILs. None of them wear make up and they're older than me and they look a fright. It bothers me when people don't put a little effort into looking their best - you don't have to go to the lengths that the Kardashians go to but a little lip balm goes a long way. People look at you when you speak and if your lips are ashy and white it's off putting. My MIL was helping me do something and all I could think about was why on earth she wouldn't put some moisturizer on her hands, they were red and chapped and flaking. Really? I understand you don't care about beauty but really?
Old 11-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

I'm 53, I love makeup and always have. Nothing makes me feel better than doing my makeup...but...that said, I will often run errands and not put on any makeup.

I try to take good care of my skin. I am a long time Olay user. I swear by it. When people say "OMG, you don't look 53", I say "Thank you Olay!!". I exfoliate and moisturize daily and never fail to use sunscreen. I feel comfortable to run to the grocery store or the post office or bank without makeup. I do fill in my eyebrows and put on a little tinted lip balm.

The bottom line is, makeup or not, you need to feel good about YOU!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

If you're paying for the makeup application there is no obligation to buy product, it is only if you are getting a free application at the Clinique counter or the like, that you should buy something. That said, lipstick comes off easily, so you may want to buy a cheap lipstick in the same shade as they apply, so that you aren't without.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #11  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

thank you for all the suggestions!

while i never wear make up, I do know how to apply basic make up and was hoping for some cheap brands/colors that i could look for at the store....i like the idea of having a professional do it for me, but in reality with my schedule that wouldn't work...although I like having that option if i need to in the future

what color eye shadow works best for blue eyes?
what color/shade of foundation works best for pink-red complexions?

that's what I need to know at the moment

thanks again for all your help!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
what color eye shadow works best for blue eyes?
what color/shade of foundation works best for pink-red complexions?
My recommendation would be to have a look at the Almay eye shadow palettes. They are for specific eye colors.
http://www.almay.com/products/eyes/e...oky-i-kit.aspx

For foundation, you may want to try Almay Smart Shade. It is skin adjusting and you don't have to sift through hundred's of shades, all you need to do is know if you are light, light/medium or medium.
http://www.almay.com/products/face/f...ng-makeup.aspx

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 11-24-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #13  

At drugstores certain brands have palettes that are already designed for certain eye colors. I find good make up at target.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I exfoliate and moisturize daily and never fail to use sunscreen.
I can almost guarantee that sunscreen is the real reason you look younger than you are - not Olay.

UVA rays age your skin probably more than anything else out there, and while sunscreen mainly blocks UVB, some brands do a decent job of keeping your UVA intake moderate as well, so your skin doesn't lose as much elasticity.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #15  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiora View Post
I can almost guarantee that sunscreen is the real reason you look younger than you are - not Olay.

UVA rays age your skin probably more than anything else out there, and while sunscreen mainly blocks UVB, some brands do a decent job of keeping your UVA intake moderate as well, so your skin doesn't lose as much elasticity.
Thank you, I'm sure you're right.....Its Olay sunscreen