General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default Restaurant Help Please

I am needing some guidance on restaurants/eating out. Is there a special area/thread somewhere on this forum that discusses this topic? If so, could someone guide me to it.

Does anyone know of ones that serve smaller portions?

DH and I will be doing some traveling and needing to eat in restaurants along the way and I am hoping to be able to do so with out undoing any progress I might have made before we head out.

We don't eat out very often, but when we eat out from home ~ it is not a problem ~ we just eat 1/2 and bring the rest home and get a second meal out of it. But traveling, we would have to bring along a cooler and I am worried that food might spoil ~ don't want to ruin the trip by eating something bad and getting sick.

Thank you for your help.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #2  
Stay with me

S/C/G: 240/235/120

Height: 5'3"

Some restaurants offer half sized portions. Ask your server if they have that option. Or what we usually do it order our dinner in stages--it drives the servers nuts but we order an app-share it, and then based on how hungry we are order something else. Like an app you can share an entree with your hubby that way there won't be any leftovers. Also most hotels now have fridges and microwaves so you would be able to keep things cool. If you aren't staying in a hotel then I would suggest ordering things that you know you will be able to finish-some fun salad or soup and sandwich. Also eating bigger meals for lunch...finishing them...and then only having something light for dinner is a option as well. Sharing entrees is fun though, and creates a more romantic experience. Hope this helps!
rubyred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Most towns have sushi and thai restaurants which offer healthier options. Also consider ordering an appetizer as you main dish.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Two words: Seafood. Salads. It's hard to go wrong with those.

Avoid bread rolls. Skip dessert. Job done.

(and if you must have dessert...you can't go too far wrong with a couple of scoops of icecream).

Last edited by IanG; 09-29-2014 at 08:49 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Not sure what area you're in what I have found Outback to be extremely accommodating.

Ruby Tuesday's and Applebee's have also worked out for me.

Subway salads have saved me countless times.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I'd second Applebee's (never been to a Ruby Tuesday's). They have some low calorie options. Red Lobster also tends to have a "Lighthouse" menu, which is kinda the same thing. Also, as someone else mentioned, sometimes places will offer a half sized portion. I know some of them refer to it as a lunch portion. Appetizers and kids meals can also be a way to go, and of course salads tend to be available at any restaurant if all else fails.

If you really wanna plan ahead, research some of the places you are wanting to go to. Many places have their menus available online now, and you can usually find all the nutritional breakdowns online as well. If you need, I can help you find them.. would just need to know what places you were looking at.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

You can share an entree.

You can order a salad and a side dish or an appetizer which are smaller portions.

Order from the kids' meal.

And be careful not to restrict so much. Vacation is about letting loose and having fun. I've tried to restrict while vacationing and when I came home I binged like crazy, probably because I was so resentful of restricting myself when I should have been having fun. Live a little and walk a little more.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #8  
Warrior Princess

If you have a smart phone Myfitnesspal app will track calories for you including most restaurant foods.

I also vote for Applebee's, they have a menu for under 500 cal meals I believe.

I'm in Illinois and all the Applebee's closed down last year. There might be one or two left somewhere in this state but I have yet to see one again.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #9  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Two words: Seafood. Salads. It's hard to go wrong with those.

Avoid bread rolls. Skip dessert. Job done.

(and if you must have dessert...you can't go too far wrong with a couple of scoops of icecream).
This. Just be careful about how much dressing you're using and obviously fried seafood or seafood in a cream sauce will not be as forgiving as steamed.

You can also pack some healthier snacks and small meals so that not every meal has to be eaten out. Hummus and carrots do very well without a cooler (though, really, if you have room, take a cooler). Pre-portion some trail mix. Apples! Make sure to bring plenty of water. I think people forget that too easily when traveling.

Ruby Tuesday's also has a very good low cal menu.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

At most restaurants I usually stick with some kind of broiled or grilled protein and swap out the carb for an extra veggie serving. Salad always works (ask for cheese, croutons, dressing, etc on the side) and broth-based soups are typically low calorie too.

For Asian, I go with the plain steamed protein and veggies with the sauce on the side and either forgo the rice or eat a very small amount.

For Mexican, ask for plain corn tortillas and make great use of hot sauce, cilantro, limes, salsa and lesser use of sour cream and cheese.

At a burger place, try an alternate burger (turkey, chicken, bison, buffalo, fish) and/or swap out the bread for a burger wrapped in lettuce, and obviously watch the toppings like bacon, cheese, and mayo/aioli sauces.

Luckily more and more restaurants are including calories on their menus, and eating on the go is easy with more options at fast food restaurants. If I'm ever on the road, I like to go to au bon pain, starbucks, or even whole foods to grab something ready made.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Go to a grocery store and hit the salad bar. I don't know where you're traveling, but lots of grocery stores near me have pre-made sandwiches and stuff like that too. Just a thought.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #12  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Thank you all for your suggestions ~ I've taken notes and am doing some research.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote