General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #16  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

But it's not a smaller size - and what's happening is the opposite of phasing out larger sizes. The entire range of sizes has been shifted larger, creating the need for this "smaller" size that's merely restoring a size option.

Last edited by Desiderata; 07-24-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #17  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
I didn't know J. Crew was known for vanity sizing, I assumed they ran small. I'd be interested if there is a list somewhere of which stores have accurate sizing vs. which are vanity sized vs. stuff that runs small. I've been overweight for so long, I have no idea where I can shop these days and where I will be able to shop soon!

The thing that ticks me off, too, is even when they provide measurements for sizing, they are never correct. What's the point of a sizing chart if it's not going to be right?

Off topic, sorry, just has me thinking.
Well, I can tell you that J crew, Gap, and Alloy are all good for vanity sizing.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #18  
Le Petit Papillon

S/C/G: 169/165/139

Height: 5'5"

The only thing that bothers me is people becoming anorexic to try to fit in the smallest size if that isn't their body type. Otherwise I have no problem with it.
LePetitPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #19  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

I know about 3 or 4 of my friends who could probably fit a 000. They are petite and very thin. They sometimes have to shop in the kids section to find something that isn't baggy on them. I'm all for these stores providing smaller sizes but I wish they would also add bigger sizes.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

there are a couple things that come into play
1) Vanity sizing. Size 0 of today isn't what it was 20 years ago
2) truly petite women. I've known people who have bought kids clothes. These people aren't anorexic.

Funny story, my husband is pretty slim. He fits size S and at one point wore size 30 pants. We went to China, we went into a department store to see if we could find him some clothes. He was too big for them. He often has problems finding men's clothes in the US. Sometimes junior mens are his fit but not style.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #21  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiKai View Post
I so wish though that women's jeans were sized like men's. I should be able to go to the store and just say my waist is 33" and my inseam is 37", give me some pants!
I'd love this too. Except even when I do find pants like this (for example, Lucky brand sizes their jeans by inches) those vary! I can wear anything between about a 28 and a 32 depending on the brand. So frustrating! Not to mention how difficult it is to find pants that are both a short enough inseam and roomy enough in the seat for this girl with the wide wide hips. I'm short...but I'm not petite.

From a money standpoint I can see the wisdom in trying to fit better into the east Asian market. There is a huge population potential there compared to some other regions in the world.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #22  
Aloha nui loa

Pants are always hard for me because I am very long legged and few places carry a 37" inseam. When I do find the right inseam it seems that they have made one of two assumptions about me. 1. I am tall and need a size 18 or higher only OR 2. I am tall and weigh 60lbs so I must need a size 6 or smaller. I fit neither of those. Is it so hard to make a 37" inseam on a 10 or 12?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #23  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

See, I can never find anything designed for a tall plus sized woman. It's either tall and skinny or short and fat.

Vanity sizing bugs me. I'm sure my go to store has made their sizes larger. There's no way I should be down to a 24 right now.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #24  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

See, I can never find anything designed for a tall plus sized woman. It's either tall and skinny or short and fat.

Vanity sizing bugs me. I'm sure my go to store has made their sizes larger. There's no way I should be down to a 24 right now.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #25  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiKai View Post
Pants are always hard for me because I am very long legged and few places carry a 37" inseam. When I do find the right inseam it seems that they have made one of two assumptions about me. 1. I am tall and need a size 18 or higher only OR 2. I am tall and weigh 60lbs so I must need a size 6 or smaller. I fit neither of those. Is it so hard to make a 37" inseam on a 10 or 12?
Maybe it's a problem with size 10...that's what I wear and I usually can't find a 30" inseam. Even then often it's in the petite section, in which case a 10 is too small and by the time I get up to something that fits my hips the thighs are too baggy. This shorty does not have a narrow bone structure.

Don't even get me started on dresses...I'm about a size 4 on top and by the time the dress fits my hips I could smuggle a watermelon in the bust.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #26  
Aloha nui loa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post

At a 12 I too am considered a "plus sized" woman by fashion. In fact, even a 10 is plus sized in some stores. There are some brands that I need a 14 in which is plus sized most places.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

J Crew has select items up to size 20 now - they are expanding upward, as well as downward. Important to get the details before reacting to something.

Frankly, they are an upmarket brand. Higher income, higher education levels are correlated with lower weights/BMI. Their target market are not plus size.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:18 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 140/140s and pregnant/120

I don't love the weird sizing numbers, but I can understand why they might make a smaller size. Where I live, the average size of woman is just quite small, and there's plenty of women who look totally healthy but are much smaller than I could EVER be no matter how much weight I lost.
Takogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 173/168.8

Height: 5ft 2in

Its depressing to think there are sizes this small now in mainstream stores, sadly lots of girls will use this as a target, they will probably starve themselves in order to be able to fit into these clothes. Its horrible the way the world is going.
aryastark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

The problem is that the do pretty extreme vanity sizing. I went in there at a 14 and put on a 10. A friend of mine wears a 4 in most stores but a 0 there. It's pressuring people to be a size that doesn't actually exist.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote