General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-14-2014, 04:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Default Job advice please!

thanks for the advice everyone!!

Last edited by Bloopers; 07-16-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I would go on the interview,

1. It's good experience just to interview.
2. The job may not be that involved as they are making it out to be. I know this from personal experience. I got my current job straight out of grad school but had almost no practical experience. They actually got people to train me. Capability and personality are WAY more important than experience. Any person can be trained to do something (in their field of of course) but to be good at it and get along with everyone is hard.
3. You can always bring up your interest in grad school if you make past the first interview. If this job is any way related to your master degree they may pay for it or part of it, or even let you go part time. A lot more companies are offering these opportunities.
4. One of the reason women are still less successful in the workforce is because they worry and opt-out before they even give themselves a chance. Don't opt-out with out knowing all the details and you can't know them unless you go on the interview!

So, go and good luck!
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/155/120

Height: 5'2"

so long job descriptions are a good thing. I'm in a pretty technical field and that extra detail is good because you can do the research about what they're looking for and prepare examples of how you're a good fit

don't be afraid to ask questions. No one expects you to know everything, especially since you're new to the job market. However, people do expect you to prepare before hand - so you should do your research, look up the company, what do they do. do they have people's profiles up etc?

and as Patlib says - why say you can't handle it. do you know exactly what you're lacking? if so, that's excellent news! that means you can work on filling that skills gap. Which is the whole point of studying and working - learning new things.

a positive attitude means looking at experiences and making sure you get the most out of them. even if you don't get the job - you should have goals that this interview helps with. like learning how to deal with interviews. learning how to research companies you're applying to. Networking. etc etc.

good luck
maddierep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #4  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

I always get weary about "sales" positions. When I was desperate for a job right after the crash, I got recruited for many little schemes. It was usually something like an ad for "Receptionist needed." I would come to interview, be told I was management material! (YAY!) and then next thing you know I'm handed a box of perfumes to get "field work" experience. (In other words... selling door to door).

Insurance
Vitamins
Coupon Books
Tupperware
Cutting knives
Newspapers
Advertising

All companies I went there to become a receptionist, to get "on the job training and experience," to "recruit others," and once I applied because I thought it was a freelance writing gig. If they liked my article, they would publish, I'd get paid.

Just, look for the signs is all, you can make money on these, and some people are successful, but for the most part, I would avoid commission jobs.

With that being said...

Long job descriptions are all I get since graduating. I'm an accountant and I'm like "Don't you only care about my cert and previous experience... I mean why do I need a page for a tax position?" But, they are very informative and after looking at a million I started to understand why all the details.

Speaking of which, my fist tax position was an internship. I had ZERO experience, other than doing my own 1040EZ once or twice. I had 1 year of school under my belt, none of which were accounting classes at the time. I was trained on site, and I thought I wouldn't be able to do it! Most companies need to train you anyway, whether it's on the job in general (taxes) or their way of doing them (work flows and procedures). Most companies prefer experience as it helps them move you through the training, but it's honestly not necessary for entry level positions as long as they train and you know basics (like how to use a PC for example).

Honestly, give it a go, keep your eye out for scammy signs (I think I'm just weary of "Sales" in general, not all are bad, just keep your eyes out). If you're hired, boom, job, if not. Nothing really lost right?
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote