3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > General chatter

General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

What has helped you most while trying to lose weight?

Old 06-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #16
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Varying exercise. I did anything and everything to challenge different muscles and try to stay ahead of boredom.

Food Journaling

YMCA's FitQuest program for logging workouts and food

Going to bed early if hungry.

GOAL Photos & Story
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #17
Less of a Better Me

S/C/G: 207.4/ticker/146

Height: 5'4"

Tracking what I eat (I track calories at MyFitnessPal and points at WW)

Fitbit

Using my HRM with Digifit which talks to Fitbit

Increasing exercise

The mental aspect of making weight loss a priority

weighing in daily

attending a WW meeting each week and having the accountability of the

weekly weigh in

Writing my blog

Reading 3FC and other blogs

Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:50 AM   #18
From Hippo to Hot!

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Like many others - finding an exercise I enjoyed. At first I hated running, but it was the only thing available to me (couldn't afford a gym/classes), eventually once I saw myself improving I loved it. I really enjoy Zumba too, but I love the endurance element of running and trying to beat my personal records allows me to get competitive with myself.

Once I found a passion for running I wanted to get better, which meant I started to eat healthier. When I first started running I had cut down what I ate but didn't make the healthy substitutions until I wanted to improve my performance, which in turn helped a lot with my weight loss.

Entering races also helped too, having a short term goal really helped too. If I ever felt lazy I knew that I had entered a race so if I slacked off I would embarrass myself on the day, that always motivated me!

Counting calories really helps me too. If I want a big greasy burger I can have it but I have to try my best to keep within my calorie limit by either eating healthier in the day or exercising a LOT to compensate! This isn't the best method, but it works for me.

Last edited by Riestrella : 06-14-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #19

S/C/G: 154/143/132

Height: 5.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyM View Post
Ginger, I can't go to the gym. It's just way too intimidating. I have no idea what machine to use, how to work them, how much weight I should be lifting. I tried going a few times on a day pass and hated it.
When I first went to the gym a couple years ago the subscription came with a session with a trainer.

She took my measurements, assessed my fitness and strength level and gave me a protocol to follow - x number of repeats on this machine with a certain weight, then y repeats on another machine and so on. She also showed me exactly how to use each machine. It was just one session but it gave me a routine and confidence in using the machines. It was great. I continued for months (and then lost steam unfortunately) - but over those months I definitely grew stronger and fitter.

Not saying you have to a gym of course - but don't give up on it because you don't know how to use everything from the get go. I think most people don't and need help in the beginning.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #20
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

So many things are helping me.

3FC. I like to be on a forum. It helps me stay focussed.

Sustainability. Making choices i know i can sustain for the long haul i.e. tailoring my diet to something i can do forever. This includes cutting back a bit more as my needs become less.

Thinking about maintenance well before i have arrived so that there is no end of diet situation when all of a sudden i am not following my rules anymore.

Having counselling when stress, pressure or depression emerges in order to keep my mood and motivation as high as possible.

Becoming a day time person and not going to bed too late most days.

Understanding that exercise is not an essential part of my weightless program. I have recently started a nice little running program and am aiming to enter a race in November but then i will stop because it will be too hot to continue. My diet needs to be able to accommodate my stop start tendencies with exercise.
Here is the easy running program for beginners that i used. Just seeing how easy it was got me started. i found: http://www.health-calc.com/exercise/...gram-beginners. There are lots of other good things on this website as well. I want to note that all the times in the past i have lost weight i did it with lots of exercise - taking up triathlon, going on cycling tours, running every second day for 10km or walking that far when i was starting, going on long hikes. This time i have needed to focus on other things and because i know i can't sustain an exercise program indefinitely, i needed to make what i do more flexible. Reading that weightloss should be 80% diet and 20% was also a good little tip that fits with what i do.

Books i have loved and found really useful this time round have been:
The Don't Go Hungry Diet and Don't Go Hungry For Life by Dr Amanda Sainsbury-Salis - She's a diet scientist and i have learnt a lot of theoretical and practical stuff from her books. And she has a great idea which she calls a success diary in which you rate your hunger and satiety before and after eating. This enables you to avoid having to count calories.

That said i don't need to count calories anyway. Just eating whole foods and keeping a detail food log is sufficient for me to know what where i'm at whilst losing weight so long as i get on the scales every day.

Weighing daily but not having to stress about the daily ups and downs of the numbers because i have a clue what they might mean and know that it doesn't mean, i've put on fat every time it goes up.

French Women Don't Get Fat was a wonderful book with some nice recipes. Mainly its a great book for teaching you a new food culture if there's a problem with the way you eat or if you treat dieting like a kind of punishment. Dieting doesn't have to be unpleasant or punishing.

The website Nutrition Wonderland taught me useful stuff about hormones that affect our weight loss and gains.

Focusing my eating around 3 main meals a day and trying to keep snacks to a minimum. And making my meals close together so that i can avoid hunger. I was doing this before read the book don't go hungry because i had already worked out that going for long periods without food during the day didn't work for me and wasn't sustainable in the long term. Going all evening and through the night without food is the best time for me not to eat.

Quitting sweets and eating whole foods, prioritising fruit and vegetables but bringing back yummy things like cheese and nuts and seeds. These high fat foods which i had let go from my diet are now back because they are tasty and nutritious and useful on a diet in small quantities. I think that at least for anyone who is not insulin resistant, just quitting sweets would solve most people's weight and appetite issues. It has certainly solved mine. Of course if you binge on pasta instead of sweets, then it might not work for you. You have to seriously cut down or out the things that you can't control. I find it easier to cut them out.

Increasing the amount of legumes and pulses i eat. These do the bulking and energy job of bread and pasta but they are low GI so it is lasting energy. They are a vegetable so you get that benefit. They are high in soluble fibre. they are good for cholesterol. they are filling. Cooking them takes a bit of getting used to but they are versatile and make food interesting. They are also inexpensive foods.

Last edited by Pattience : 06-14-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #21

Thanks for the tip Munchy and apo9. I've never seen it before, but maybe that's because I never knew it existed, or to look for it. I've always made my curries with the canned coconut milk, which is loaded with calories. Since I began counting calories I gave it up and tried to make a curry with coconut water. It did not work out to say the least. Maybe this Silk coconut milk will work out for me.
EllyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #22

S/C/G: 237.5/207/185

Height: 5'7

-A good pair of shoes. Poor shoe choices in the past were a barrier to movement, and I didn't realize it until I got a pair of shoes that I LOVE (Naturalizer Bzees). Now I walk everywhere and even look forward to putting on my shoes, they feel that good!

-A pedometer. It got me moving last year and now I just really enjoy seeing my steps every day.

-Living alone. The only food in my house is here because I brought it here. I'm able to focus on just me.

Good thread, I'm learning from everyone's responses.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #23

S/C/G: 260/155!/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
Finding an activity I love. For me it was running. Working out no longer feels like work. Even when my eating gets wonky, I keep running. The extra perk is running is easier at lower weights so I have a stronger reason to stay committed to healthy eating and weight management. For me "being thin" wasn't good enough. If it had been, I'd would have lost my weight a decade ago.

Also focusing on being fit rather than thin. Again for me, that has helped tremendously. Being thin, for me, meant starving and skipping meals, the less I ate the "better" I did at my "diet". Being fit means I have to care for my body and eat, but eat healthy, nutritious foods. Starving it is not an option. As my starving often lead to binging, it was a vicious cycle.
I agree. Whenever i want to fall back into binging on crap or foods outside my nutrition plan for that day, i think.... HEALTHY and that usually keeps me from derailing because i truly do want to be healthier and it helps that i love whole foods
Old 06-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naama View Post
Not saying you have to a gym of course - but don't give up on it because you don't know how to use everything from the get go. I think most people don't and need help in the beginning.
Maybe I'll give it a shot again. It was just so intimidating stumbling around trying to figure out what machine did what, and even how to sit in them. I guess if I had someone showing me around it would help out a little. I may give it a try again.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #25

Drinking more water. I drink 3 litres a day. Never felt so energised. Don't need Coffee now.
palmstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #26

I found a cool new one. I downloaded a new ebook the other day for less than a dollar. It's pretty informative. It gives a bunch of healthy tips on weight loss. Some I was aware of, others I never thought of. The author seems pretty adamant about healthy weight loss. No supplements, no fad diets, no starving or denying yourself. Definitely worth the 99 cents.

http://www.amazon.com/52-Easy-Weight...ight+loss+tips
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.