General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

Default Do you know one of these people?

ok. are you like me? surrounded by people who live and support unhealthy lifestyles?
I don't want to tell people how to live their lifes of course but it is a little stressful when people make jokes about being unhealthy, and are proud of all the fast food they eat, or how working out is not for them...

i brush it off!

i see it on social media, websites, my friends and family, it's pretty much everywhere you go!! fast food ad's are everywhere. just curious if anyone else sees it and their response.

let's discuss
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I WAS one of those people not too long ago.

A few years ago a friend of mine BEGGED me to go to the gym with her. I said, Pfft, I have WAY better things to do, like lay on my couch and binge watch Netflix for 8 hours and eat McDonalds 3 times a day.

I think those people just haven't had that "ah ha" moment yet. At that time, I wasn't even ready to think about making those kinds of changes yet, thinking about it terrified me so instead I made jokes.

I think that things are starting to change though. More and more people are hopping on the health train, and while some people may never change, I bet many of those people who "Pffft" healthy eating and exercise will change their tune eventually.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I also used to be one of those people. The truth is you just don't know how much better you feel when you live a healthy lifestyle. I felt OK back then so saw little reason to change. Now I feel fan-frickin-tastic.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #4  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I also used to be one of those people. The truth is you just don't know how much better you feel when you live a healthy lifestyle. I felt OK back then so saw little reason to change. Now I feel fan-frickin-tastic.
Agreed there!

But had you tried to convince me of that back then, I would have laughed in your face and told you you were a lunatic!

Now I'm the one who sounds like a lunatic when I tell people how much better I feel!

Last edited by Silverfire; 05-22-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #5  

Well I guess I don't see it as something to brush off since they aren't dictating what I do, nor is listening to them triggering me to change myself. If anything, I get a little fascinated, I've never been "OK" with myself when I was 100% unhealthy.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/154.6/135

Height: 5'6"

I find ironic that when friends eat poorly or don't work out I don't say anything or comment on their lifestyle. Unless it's a very close friend and I'm concerned about health, there's no need to. We all make our choices and commenting or criticizing does not do good.

However, now that I rarely drink or do not want to split appetizers there are comments that come my way. I understand that in the past I did those things and others need to adjust to changes. Also, they may not feel bad internally because there is no buddy to eat poorly with or binge watch Netflix.

If we're friends, support and encouraging remarks are all that necessary. OR just don't say anything. I'll do the same for you when you're eating the Big Mac.
CaityCait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post

I think that things are starting to change though. More and more people are hopping on the health train, and while some people may never change, I bet many of those people who "Pffft" healthy eating and exercise will change their tune eventually.
Unfortunately, in this country, many of these people will have their aha moment when they are dying from heart disease. Think about all of the people you know, and then pick out half of them. These are the people that will die from heart disease in the US. If you do this whenever you are in a room or at a public venue, it becomes a shocking reality. If you are talking to a friend, realize that this is how one of you will die. Scary. And really preventable (although not totally), with some lifestyle changes. Unfortunately, many people have the "not me" idea in their head, that somehow they are protected form the inevitable culmination of all of their bad choices. And it is sad, because we have control of a lot of things that contribute to our health, until we lose it. Being healthy is important, and terribly undervalued, until the time when it is no longer a possible reality for those that have lost it.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm not surrounded by people who lead an unhealthy lifestyle. I'm quite lucky that my whole family are fit and healthy and always have been. I grew up in the Mediterranean and thus on the "mediterranean" diet as it has been deemed. I have no history of heart disease/diabetes/cancer/alzheimers in my family. My friends are all thin and health conscious and my husband is trim and healthy and a naturally-born intuitive eater. I happen to be the black sheep in my circle, I'm the one that has an eating disorder but I'm finally on a road to recovery and haven't been plagued with binges in months.

There are rare occassions I come across other people who have eating issues and it makes me very uncomfortable, probably because it echoes some of my symptoms and I find it jarring. I'm much more comfortable being around normal healthy eaters and active people.

So while I'm very sympathetic and have a lot of compassion for people who cannot control their eating habits I also don't have a lot of patience for someone who hates exercise. I don't understand it, I don't see the allure of sitting on one's a$$ all day watching tv day in and day out, I don't see the allure of taking the elevators/escalators up one flight of stairs, I don't see the benefit of wasting one's entire lunch hour on the phone/computer/eating rather than being out with friends or taking a walk. I think it's sad when people take the things their body can do for granted. A body in motion will stay in motion.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #9  
www.EscapeFromFatCity.com

S/C/G: 190/184.5/???

Height: 5'7"

I don't feel the right to tell anyone what to eat or what lifestyle to have.

For one thing, there's nothing more obnoxious than a reformed know-it-all (we all know those people). Honestly, everyone knows about poor lifestyle choices and how it hurts our health. Most of us here could write a book about it, and yet still struggle with weight despite "knowing better."

I think the best approach is being a good example. Then, when someone says, "I want what you have, can you help me?" we can go into detail, and they'll be willing to listen.

BTW, I have a close friend & co-worker who's quite overweight and (supposedly) proud of his lifestyle that led to it. But from candid conversations with him, I know he struggles and would change in a heartbeat if it were easier.
EscapeKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #10  
maintaining since 9/2013

Some people will get their aha moment from watching someone around them lose weight, like you df180. That happened to me. I had about given up and then saw someone at work who was on a diet & looking really bright-eyed & energetic as he lost weight. It motivated me to try the same diet. Pretty soon more people started the diet when they saw the two of us doing well. I've had a number of people tell me that they decided to lose weight once they saw the change in me. It's wonderful synergy.

Last edited by mars735; 05-24-2014 at 08:03 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote