General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #16  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

I also love fragrances and wear them daily. This weekend I received a test strip in the Ulta flyer for Ralph Lauren's Midnight Romance. I thought it smelled pretty good and gave it to DH to smell. He loved the way it smelled, the name and even said that it would be perfect on me. I bought it in the roller ball size so I could give it a try for a while. I have a whole counter of perfumes and fragrances and won't allow myself to buy any more full size bottles, until I make a dent it what I have. Here's a description of Midnight Romance: http://www.sephora.com/midnight-roma...?skuId=1606987

ETA: I also bought a roller ball of Skin from Clean last month. Every time I wear it DH comments "hmm, you have that sweet perfume on". That's a good comment from DH since he never comments on anything like that out of the blue. To me it smells like musk but it must smell differently when mixed with my chemistry. DH seems to like this one on me, too. http://www.sephora.com/skin-P294713?skuId=1367671

Last edited by Diana3271; 05-06-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I miss YSL Rive Gauche, can't seem to find it anymore. I hate that there is always a 'flavour of the month' coming out and they are mothballing the good old ones. I don't wear perfume out anywhere as I have friends and know others who are very sensitive to fragrance chemicals - whether they can smell them or not. All of our doc and dentist offices, etc are scent free zones as are the hospitals. Even the change room at the gyms & pool are that way.
I like to wear men's cologne as I just am attracted to the smell of it and I wear scent for me, mainly. My hubby likes it too, though. My fave men's are Davidoff Cool Water, and Versace for men, and Givenchy Xeryus.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
If you can smell it heavily on someone outside then they're wearing WAY too much. It's meant to be subtle. I can't stand heavy florals. IMO those are nauseating.

Some people overload on cheap perfume (some to cover the smell of ciggs) and it can be a nasty experience. There's a girl at the gym that wears so much cheap spray that I can tell which bathroom stall she was in long after she was back out on the machines. I agree that it's gross but I wouldn't call it a violating experience. If you're allergic I'm sorry, us subtle perfume users aren't out to be a-holes I promise. You thought it was strange that I felt violated at the GYN so I guess we agree to disagree.

I love perfume. I wear it almost everywhere and get lots of compliments. I think it also hugely depends on body chemistry. A scent might smell great on one person, and bad on another.
It's always jarring when someone brings up an old thread to illustrate something about my personality yet don't like. It feels like keeping tabs. Anyway the gyno thread I believe from what I remember that you explained clearly why your past might have something to do with your discomfort and I don't think I was unsympathetic to that. I do believe I encouraged you to find someone you'd be more comfortable with. My initial reaction to what you described happened in your appointment sounded like a typical exam. Please dont take that to heart.

Violation, yes that's what comes to mind when the air I'm breathing suddenly makes me choke. It's not a matter of like or dislike because the smell is ok buy the choking is not iykwim. Whether the smell is pleasant or not I react to it the same way as if I smelled a skunk or a fart or a particularly unclean public restroom. I have the same reaction of "omg let me out!" That's the nature of all smells, they incite a strong reaction. For every compliment you receive there is another person who is trying not to barf but won't say so.

Last edited by Palestrina; 05-06-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #19  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

For me, almost all synthetic perfumes smell alike - and the smell is horrid. I get the idea of different "notes" and all, but all I smell is acrid and rank chemicals. Maybe slightly different flavors of the same synthetic bad odor, at best. Yes, even "high-end" brands.

So, understandably, I've never really understood the allure of perfumes. I get that most other people aren't as sensitive and don't experience the same scents as olfactory assault... though I also think that regular exposure to strong scents warps the senses... (I'm leery of even 'light' applications of the stuff - I think it's not uncommon for people's sense of scent to become dulled, which leads to heavier usage of perfumes...)

I just don't get it. With just a modicum of hygiene, people don't smell bad. And human body odor is far less offensive than overpowering perfumes. (ymmv, of course...)
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #20  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

My favorite non-floral perfume (for those who like florals, Estee Lauder Pleasures!!!!) is Lush's solid The Smell of Freedom perfume. It's citrusy and reminds me of summer all year long. It doesn't last as long as other perfumes, but I definitely can still smell it on my wrist at the end of the day. I like the solid perfume because it's very packable - as long as it's not a hot summer day.

Description from the website: "Fire Tree, the first scent, is a citrus, herbal and woody fragrance inspired by an Australian aboriginal artist. Old Delhi Station blends ginger, clove and black pepper and Oudh Heart, with its powdery and woody scent uses materials familiar to Arab perfumery."

Desiderata - for me, scent evokes emotion. It's not about smelling good, but FEELING good. Like with the aforementioned perfume, putting it on makes me smile and think of a beautiful summer day.

Last edited by nonameslob; 05-06-2014 at 02:14 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #21  

S/C/G: See ticker!

Height: 5'0

I love Vera Wang Princess and on the cheaper end, Paris Hilton Heiress. They both smell feminine and light, and they're the perfumes I seem to get the most compliments on, even by guys (especially the Vera Wang Princess perfume)! I also like Japanese Cherry Blossom from Bath & Body works.
Samantha18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 265/252/135

Height: 5' 6

@ nonameslob. I second that on how scent makes you feel. I wore peppermint oil today And it makes me feel uplifted. Also reminds me of my mom years ago i wore an origins body lotion that smelled like mint. Every time i wore it she would laugh and say i smelled like a York Peppermint Patty. Though after running errands on foot like today I like to think I smell like mint not sweat.
shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I like lighter floral and/or musky scents.

My absolute favorite is Romance by Ralph Lauren, I can't wait to buy the new version midnight romance. I smelled a magazine sample and almost died. Maybe as a treat for finishing this semester

For a cheaper scent I love Faith Hill's Parfumus. I almost always get complements when I wear it. Her True scent is nice too, but I prefer Parfumus.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #24  
Warrior Princess

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
For every compliment you receive there is another person who is trying not to barf but won't say so.
Thanks??

I get it, you hate perfume.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #25  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha18 View Post
I love Vera Wang Princess and on the cheaper end, Paris Hilton Heiress. They both smell feminine and light, and they're the perfumes I seem to get the most compliments on, even by guys (especially the Vera Wang Princess perfume)!
I've had Princess in the past, it does smell great! I'll have to check out Heiress.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:47 AM   #26  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Yes, get your nose on as many as possible. I've had some surprise favorites, and ones I would have sworn I'd love based on the notes, but hated on me or didn't feel were well balanced.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 05-07-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #27  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
I just don't get it. With just a modicum of hygiene, people don't smell bad. And human body odor is far less offensive than overpowering perfumes. (ymmv, of course...)
You don't need to get it. If you don't like it, don't wear it. I'm not the thread police but can understand negative replies had I asked the general question, "do you like perfume?" but all I asked for is suggestions on people's favorite fragrances. I, and many others love perfume because it provokes happy thoughts and even memories...
Old 05-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #28  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

It's not really as simple as not wearing it. Of course it's everyone's personal choice, but I think some people don't realize how much that choice can impact everyone else they cross paths with - even when they think "Oh, I'm not that person, I don't drench myself in it." Wannabeskinny did have a good point that there are those of us out there who find the scents horrid and offensive and are unlikely to come out directly and say "Hey, your grooming choice is actually making me feel seriously unwell." It's just another side of things to consider.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #29  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Desiderata In many countries, even use of deodorant and scented shampoos would make people feel sick. I've heard for members of the Peace Corps, for example, they suggest they learn to not use products like that.

But I think it's hard to expect people to change their habits when it's a serious minority of people who have issues with perfumes in modern countries (unless you're going to a doctor's office, hospital, or another setting where you know you will be very close to strangers and they can't get up to move away from you, like a symphony for example - that's common courtesy).
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 285/280/175

Height: 5'6

Light blue - d&g
Princess - Vera Wang
Very sexy- victoria secret

Those are the three scents that I rotate. Usually just wear bath and body works body sprays if I'm just hanging out around the house or family. Lol
Miss V is offline   Reply With Quote