(Almost) Naked Selfies

You're on Page 3 of 5
Go to
  • kaplods Out of the 13200 posts I have only disagreed with you once. I wish I could express my opinions the way you do! -- I blame it on the fact that I am a non English speaker -- Well put, as always!

Berry -- I am with you, I am so darn insecure. But at the age of 47, who feels secure about their bodies?? We should!! We have the wisdom, the life experience...but that ideal body was lost many moons ago. -- People were to puke if they were to see me in my underwear
  • Sum - I'm sure your body is great. or "better" than most people at 47.

But... I did giggle to myself imagining any of my FB friends in their skivvies posting selfies - almost every friend of mine on FB is 40 or older - couple exceptions. I'm trying to imagine one of those mom friends in a photo like that and then seeing their kids' reactions to a photo like that on FB.

"Oh my god mom! WHy did you post that? Do you know how embarrassing that is for me? Couldn't you have filtered it or something so that not everyone can see it?" Or something like that.

Yep... I'm getting old (and so are my friends).
  • Goodness, I'm 27 and still can't imagine any of my friends doing that! But I think most of my Facebook friends are also connected with family, etc. on their pages and no one wants their mom to see them in their undies past the age of 10 lol Or maybe I am just deluded and prudish in thinking that. This is why I am just so baffled by the whole discussion.
  • HAHAHAH! Same here Berry! I think I have a few of my daughter's friends as friends, they are 19... But they are shy girls like my DD and would never post pictures of themselves in their undies... But the rest of my friends, 40+, it would be a disaster. I am sorry, the whole thought cracks me up.

I looked HOT in my 20's...if FB had been around, wonder if I had posted pix of myself in undies, probably not. I did not have the guts. But I still say, more power to those who do it. I probably would have posted in my bathing suit.

I just feel women should feel empowered. Not ridiculed. There should not be any fat/skinny shaming.
  • nonameslob I could be your mother

I feel a female body should be celebrated at any age. We are beautiful. Our bodies are wonderlands; we give pleasure, we create life.

Yes, it does not mean we should always flaunt it. But if one chooses to do so, we should applaud her. More power to her! Most us women hide.
  • Quote: kaplods Out of the 13200 posts I have only disagreed with you once. I wish I could express my opinions the way you do! -- I blame it on the fact that I am a non English speaker -- Well put, as always!

Wow! I'm impressed. I don't even agree with myself that much. Seriously though, it's kind of fun to read old posts sometimes and see how much my opinions haved change (and may change again).
  • You know Sum38, you kinda enlightened me to something...why is it that I feel totally embarrassed to see someone in their underwear, yet I'd probably hardly blink an eye at bathing suit? I guess I just see underwear as something that's meant to be under clothes and personal, but bathing suits are made to be seen, even if they bare the same amount (or less!) skin. I know my reactions to underwear vs. bathing suits aren't logical, but I don't know how to change that.
  • nonameslob Well put!! Some of my underwear covers more than my bikini -- I come from a country (Finland) where nudity is embraced and a natural thing. Sauna was invented in Finland, where everyone goes naked.

Everybody has a body. There is nothing shameful to have one. Everyone is beautiful.
  • Quote: nonameslob Well put!! Some of my underwear covers more than my bikini -- I come from a country (Finland) where nudity is embraced and a natural thing. Sauna was invented in Finland, where everyone goes naked.

Everybody has a body. There is nothing shameful to have one. Everyone is beautiful.
    i haven't read the whole 3 pages of this thread but i agree with this...And I don't see anything wrong with flaunting it....Me personally I would never post nearly naked pictures of myself ANYWHERE because i do NOT want the attention...whether to be stared at because i'm hot or because i'm not, either way I don't want to be stared at lol
  • I always assume those people must think their bosses and children are too dumb to ever google them five or fifteen years down the line, and that nobody will be eligible to be president about a decade from now because every single one of them has documented their young adult stupidity in excruciating, pictorial detail for all the world to see and never to be expunged!
  • Quote: I always assume those people must think their bosses and children are too dumb to ever google them five or fifteen years down the line, and that nobody will be eligible to be president about a decade from now because every single one of them has documented their young adult stupidity in excruciating, pictorial detail for all the world to see and never to be expunged!
    depending how smart one is with their privacy...
  • Typically well adjusted people don't talk about themselves that way. They don't even really think about their body or themselves in terms of gaining attention. So most likely they would not post pictures of themselves.

When I compare my friends on Facebook the ones with a healthy self confidence tend to post about their family and activities on the occasional basis and if an important event in their life is taking place.

The ones I consider to have bad self confidence post a lot of pictures of themselves ALL the time. A selfie at least once a day! And they all range from skinny to fat. They also post like every single meal they eat and always post weird random thoughts like "I hate when my ice coffee melts." Which everyone hates so why post it?
  • I agree that we women have GOT to stop being so super critical of each other and ourselves. My husband's aunt, now 67 was and is beautiful. She STILL can wear a bikini and look great in it. She looks/looked a lot like Helen Miran (Sp)

Anyway, when she was visiting up 16 years ago I found that she didn't turn the light on in the bathroom while using it or washing hands. There was no window in that bathroom. She wanted to avoid the mirror. She hated seeing herself. Hated looking so old.

I thought... my god. She's 50 or so years old and looks FANTASTIC and is in great shape, and SHE doesn't like to see herself in the mirror. I would have loved to look that good at 25 as she did at 50. But for her, she saw a faded version of herself. How sad is that? She should have been celebrating her CURRENT her.
  • Quote: And to whoever it was who accused me of publicly shaming someone, you can grow up to. This is not my facebook page. This is a FORUM not associated with my page. And this is a DISCUSSION about a topic not a shaming session. Wow... didnt know this would be so controversial.
    That was me...

The moment I grow up is the moment I get old.

I never wanna grow up!
  • kaplods