3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   What is the cutoff size between "thick" and "fat" for a girl? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/295228-what-cutoff-size-between-thick-fat-girl.html)

nonameslob 04-28-2014 10:19 AM

"Thick" isn't even a word that's really in my vocabulary...I've never heard anyone in my life use that to describe someone. Then again, I don't even like commenting on other people's bodies and I'll call someone out if they do it in front of me. Keep it to yourself if you think a woman (or man for that matter) is fat or thick or skinny or whatever you want to think.

Crazygurl1211, I picked a somewhat arbitrary goal based on BMI. I've never been anything but overweight, so it was really hard for me to know what my goal should be. I don't know at what weight or fitness level I'll be comfortable or happy with my body (and hey, I may never be happy with my body!) However, if you've ever been at a lower weight that you've been comfortable at, that would be a good goal. Just remember to keep re-evaluating your goals as your body changes.

Also, the website that was already mentioned is really work a look-through.

pixelllate 04-28-2014 12:24 PM

I have to admit this is all kind of amusing to hear our thoughts on thick in this observant, withdrawn sort of way because I can sorta tell that most of us weren't/aren't in environments where "thick" is regularly used as "hey hottie." or even used at all lol

nonameslob 04-28-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelllate (Post 4993477)
I have to admit this is all kind of amusing to hear our thoughts on thick in this observant, withdrawn sort of way because I can sorta tell that most of us weren't/aren't in environments where "thick" is regularly used as "hey hottie." or even used at all lol

You're very right. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just a cultural/regional thing? I am pretty sure I've only heard it in movies...lol

3fcuser291505109 04-28-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4993381)

Thick... just sounds.... stupid and awful. How can you describe a person as thick? Well... it used to mean dense... stupid... sounds really positive, right?

This, exactly. It's a term used by the younger generation, it was NEVER used to describe a body type in my generation, we said heavy. SMH!

pixelllate 04-28-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonameslob (Post 4993499)
You're very right. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just a cultural/regional thing? I am pretty sure I've only heard it in movies...lol

Definitely. I'm from a poor but very suburban town in CT and in high school, sometimes the students from Hartford would attend some of the classes in our school and I heard that term used a lot more. I live in Brooklyn now and I hear it when I'm in the outer boroughs, like Upper East Harlem or deep south Bushwick, towards the Bedstuy area. Its more of a city thing.

Olivia7906 04-28-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4993381)
Thick, IMO, and my opinion only, is just another way of saying slightly fat.

I personally hate "curvy" "thick"... Curvy means a woman has curves to me... And, when I think of curvy. I think of a thinner, hour glass curvy, not an overweight curvy.

Thick... just sounds.... stupid and awful. How can you describe a person as thick? Well... it used to mean dense... stupid... sounds really positive, right?

I guess it just really depends on the culture of the people. In my culture, men drool over "thick" women. Thick meaning, carrying your weight in "all the right places". What does that mean? Well, it means different things to different people lol.

Munchy 04-28-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olivia7906 (Post 4993625)
I guess it just really depends on the culture of the people. In my culture, men drool over "thick" women. Thick meaning, carrying your weight in "all the right places". What does that mean? Well, it means different things to different people lol.

Yep, I hear it all the time and I'm from central CT. It's more of a young generation term, definitely on the urban side.

As JohnP said, it's really more of a body shape issue than a size issue. As I've seen it - if you have a flat stomach, large breasts and large thighs/butt, you're thick. I HATE the term thick. To me, it's not a compliment, but simply means "curvy in the right places without being small."

I can't wait until I don't hear someone call me thick ever again.

Palestrina 04-28-2014 04:49 PM

It's not a term of endearment that's for sure. Honestly the term makes me think of cankles.

novangel 04-28-2014 07:41 PM

"Thick" is a little extra weight, larger buns and thighs but with a flat tummy. See Coco, ICE-T's wife. Perfect example. ;)

Mrs Snark 04-29-2014 11:12 AM

I've only heard "thick" used in a positive way. Usually by men who use the word "skinny" in a negative way, because they don't care for that body type.

Big range of tastes out there (thank goodness!).