General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I understand that being direct has been socialized right out of most of us, but next time he approaches you before he says anything just say - I realize you mean well but my time here is limited and you're cutting into it. I'm not interested, I won't be interested. Thanks anyway. And then as someone else suggested, put your ear buds in and tune him out. You can say it in a friendly non-rude way and still be firm.

It really sounds like this guy is trying to drum up sales and clients and just has NO clue about social cues.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #17  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 294/195/165

Height: 5'4.5

I know kind of what you mean. If feels like they are hard selling the personal trainers. It can tick you off! Well it did for me anyways. This one guy had the nerve to tell me I was keeping a "closed mind" because he said he could see me at a size 4. But I kept saying I wanted to be thick/Juicy size 9/12 something in that window so my boobs didn't get to damaged. I dismissed him, there was no way I would pay to have that guy assist me in my journey lol what a joke that guy!

Ear buds, make sure not to make eye contact and tell them "thanks, but I'm set" if it gets to be to much tell them the hard selling/pressure makes you anxious and uncomfortable maybe even makes you drag your feet when it comes to gym time!(?!?) If you are going to be interrogated every time you come in to work out.

If you voice your concerns that usually makes them beat it they'll know there MAY BE a risk of you leaving then & a poor review of that gym. And one customer that's had a bad experience is more likely to voice their issues to others.

But that's just me, whatever's cool
Hope it WORKS OUT... For ya heeheehee

Last edited by Diamondonalandmine; 04-17-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Diamondonalandmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the insight everyone.

Funny thing is, I do wear my iPod. I have them in the whole time but he'll come stand on the side of my treadmill and start talking until I take one bud out and semi-listen while making sure he knows I still have the other one in.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I also think what really annoyed me was that the salesman quizzed me on a few topics when I was signing up and was genuinely shocked that I knew the answers.

Sorry, just because I was overweight doesn't mean I don't know anything about exercise or nutrition.

He asked me to put in the order of importance the following: strength training, cardio and nutrition. I said nutrition is most important followed by strength training then cardio. He told me strength training then nutrition then cardio.

So I asked him about the thought that "abs are made in the kitchen." He told me that's not true, he does no cardio, has 7% body fat and is "handsome as h*ll" (direct quote.) That's about the time I asked to be switched to a different salesman

He was also taken aback when I knew the answer why you need a rest day (muscles are torn and rebuilt.)

I got satisfaction out of shocking him with my correct answers though!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

How annoying! I wouldn't be too angry at the people who work there, they have been instructed to say these things. It's called upselling. Get them in the door, and make them spend more money is the idea. You have to understand that their purpose is to get you to spend more money, but attacking your committment to your "self" etc is totally uncalled for and a very very very poor strategy on their part.

Since the reason they are approaching you is for money then I find the fastest way to shut people up is "I'm broke, I'm not spending any more money here." I say this to hairdressers, spa clinicians, shoe salesmen, whenever I'm being pitched something extra I always stop them and say "I'm sorry, this is all the money I've got to spend at the moment" and it shuts them all up.

Secondly, I would set up a meeting with the branch manager and tell them that you understand the employees are trying to upsell, but they are doing so in a very insulting and aggressive manner. Tell him/her that your work out time is the one hour of day you have for yourself and you don't intend to spend it questioning your commitment, or on sales pitches. And that perhaps the staff need to be alerted that when you walk through the door they are to leave you alone.

Being assertive is hard but remember, you PAID to be there and you're not asking them for a favor, this is borderline harrassment.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote