3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Are non-animal lovers bad people? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/293952-non-animal-lovers-bad-people.html)

Palestrina 03-20-2014 02:27 PM

Are non-animal lovers bad people?

Do animal lovers think poorly of non animal lovers? I think animal lovers are caring compassionate people and I respect them very much I happen not to want pets, I don't stop on the street to pet dogs or watch cat videos, it's just not my thing. I prefer not to touch animals. I don't dislike animals I'm just indifferent. I wonder if animal lovers think strangely of that.

kaplods 03-20-2014 02:47 PM

There are always people who think badly of anyone with different likes and values, but those people are not the majority. Most people understand or at least appreciate that personal interests, talents, and value systems come in infinite variety.

My husband is much less animal-loving than I, and that doesn't at all make him a bad person.

nelie 03-20-2014 03:07 PM

Not at all. Do parents think childless (by choice) people are evil? Sometimes... But that isn't the point.

I don't care about babies at all. When my sister in law had a new baby, I figured I squarely fell into the dog lover category when I was more interested in her dogs than my new niece. For some, animals are not an interest. For others, it is kids. For others, it could be something totally different.

So I'd say that no, animal lovers don't think poorly of non animal lovers. And even if you do love animals, that doesn't mean you have pets either.

MauiKai 03-20-2014 03:21 PM

I don't think they are bad people. I'm a huge animal lover, but I don't like kids. Parents often like to make it out that I am a bad person because I don't find their kid adorable.

doingmybest 03-20-2014 04:35 PM

I am a passionate animal lover and I don't judge people at all. I completely understand that animals are just not for everyone.

I chose not to have kids. It isn't that I don't like kids; I just felt that my personal circumstances would not be good for children. There are also genetic issues in my family that frankly scared me for future generations. Some people in my life think that I am a terrible selfish person. But each of us has the right and the responsibility to choose the life that we want.

I feel that people are going to judge but what I have tried to do is to detach from those judgments. I deliberately try to not base any of my feelings or decisions on what others think.

ILoveVegetables 03-20-2014 04:46 PM

Like many others, I love animals. But I think that whether a person is an animal lover or not says almost nothing about their character or personality (apart from that fact that they... you know, love animals or don't). I've met awesome people who aren't animal lovers and I've met rotten people who are. Everyone has their own preferences and it doesn't always equate with the kind of person they are.

MauiKai 03-20-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny (Post 4967296)
Do animal lovers think poorly of non animal lovers? I think animal lovers are caring compassionate people and I respect them very much I happen not to want pets, I don't stop on the street to pet dogs or watch cat videos, it's just not my thing. I prefer not to touch animals. I don't dislike animals I'm just indifferent. I wonder if animal lovers think strangely of that.

One thing though. If non-animal people come to my house and act jerky or make a fuss because there IS dog fur on pretty much everything (not excessive, but you know, dogs shed) or because my dogs come over and politely check the person out and solicit a pet (my dogs don't jump or bark, well almost never bark. But they don't jump.)...then I don't like them. My dogs live here, you do not. I don't come to your house and when your kid with sticky fingers or boogery nose comes to hold my hand, touch me or any of the other things kids do, act like a jerk. I go along with it because they are kids and it's their house.

So, long story short, my house is an animal friendly place. Don't come if it bothers you. I won't allow my dogs to molest you all night while you visit, but neither will I deny them the opportunity to meet and check out the new person in THEIR home. I think that's fair.

ReNew Me 03-20-2014 05:05 PM

Plenty of animal lovers are jerks and plenty of people who do not have pets or don't even care for being around animals are perfectly lovely people. Not caring for being around animals does not mean anything other than you didn't grow up around them, you have allergies, you don't care for the noise, the dirt, you have a fear, any one of countless reasons.

Pets aren't for everyone. And being an animal lover doesn't mean you're wonderful, either. In my younger days I rather stupidly thought that a man who is kind to animals would automatically make a loving spouse and husband -- WRONG.

Oh, and I always warn people in advance that I have cats, including people who have to work to do or meter readers or something like that. I've known a few people who had pretty bad cat allergies and they suffered wickedly.

PatLib 03-20-2014 06:41 PM

I volunteer at shelters and support animal welfare laws so I LOVE animals.

And I have lived in several states that have almost no animal cruelty laws and you should see what people do to "beloved" pets just because they either no longer want them or didn't want to do the work that goes along with it.

So, basically what I am saying is that the title of "animal lover" is meaningless and you seem like a lovely person here! :)

Koshka 03-20-2014 08:36 PM

I don't think that non-animal lovers are bad people. I know that isn't true. And, I recognize that some people have allergies or other health problems that make interacting with animals not good for them.

That said, I remember many years ago a guy asking me out on a date who had told me he didn't like cats. I turned him down and he asked why. I forthrightly told him that since he didn't like cats there was no future in any possible relationship since having pets is important to me. So, while I wasn't saying he was a bad person, I also knew we were different enough in something important to me that I didn't want to pursue a dating relationship.

GlamourGirl827 03-20-2014 08:56 PM

I think everyone has made very good points. I don't consider myself an animal lover (and for other reasons, I hate that phrase though its a common one). I do have fish, and they are lovely, but that's it. I don't have any cats or dogs, I don't want any. I find they are not worth the responsibility...like a child that never grows up, fur, mess etc...but I do enjoy them. When someone else has a cat or dog (though I am mildly allergic to cats) I enjoy them, pet them, and really do think they are cute. But its nice when the visit is over, to leave and not be stuck with the pet. I also do not have patience for people's pets that are poorly trained, barking excessively, jumping on people, pulling and yanking while the owner is "walking" them, and trying to come up to every person on the street. Its not that I hate the dog (never saw a cat on a leash lol) but I think it makes me think the owner it not in control so that dog cannot be trusted since it believes it is in charge over the owner...
However I would never hurt an animal unless it was aggressive towards me or my kids. I also would go out of my way to help one, even if that was just calling someone for a hurt animal.

I also don't put animals above people...well, most people...some rotten people do not deserve to be placed above some of the sweet pets out there!

So to answer your question, no I don't non animal lovers are bad people. But I would be a wary if someone when out of their way to hurt animals, or did not feel any emotion about seeing an injured animal (or thought it was funny or something else).

Samantha18 03-20-2014 09:45 PM

Not at all! It doesn't bother me if people don't like animals, even though I love them. Well, I mostly love cats. I don't think being a good or bad person is related to how much you love animals (though, if someone is cruel to animals, that's another subject and that tells me everything about a person's character).

LovesToTravel 03-20-2014 11:26 PM

I have a home full of pets and rescued critters, but I can't recall ever thinking badly of someone who didn't share my passion. I tend to steer clear of people who brag about being cruel to animals or deliberately neglect them, but that's a very different "animal", pardon the pun. :)

It's interesting how many people brought up kids in this thread- and that was one of my first thoughts too. I guess because a lot of people in our culture feel like their pets are part of the family. Like the kid thing, I respect folks who decide that they're not up for the responsibility of a pet and can be honest about that. I don't see it as a moral issue, just a personal preference.

JohnP 03-20-2014 11:40 PM

If people don't love, like or otherwise have fond feelings towards animals I could care less. It's a preference and I'm fairly liberal in regards to other people's preferences.

What I have a problem with is people who intentionally mistreat animals. Of course, people who love animals more than me would probably argue with my definition of what mistreating animals actually means.

Palestrina 03-21-2014 08:56 AM

Thanks for chiming in. I'm very afraid of all dogs ever since our family dog turned on me when I was younger. I didn't get bitten but the ferocity with which he tried to attack me is unforgettable and I have a difficult time trusting even the sweetest smallest doggies. I'm not a cold hearted person but I prefer not to touch dogs and squirm around if they try to sniff me. I do my best to stay away from homes with dogs, it's not worth the panic and discomfort.

It is interesting that people brought up children. Before I had a child I wasn't a kid person either, I was rather indifferent so I find it understandable when someone can't muster up the same level of enthusiasm I have for my own kid's antics. But I have found that when it comes to children people can be fiercely mean for one reason or the other. What I'm more surprised at is the level of animosity from other Moms. I refrain from ever complaining about lack of sleep or terrible twos scenarios with other Moms because inevitably they pull the "You only have ONE child" card, while they have two or more kids and they can get very condescending on me. I can't tell you how many times I've been put down by the "I'm more of a Mom than you because I have more kids than you" mentality.

Anyway, a very good friend of mine had to put her doggie to sleep a couple of days ago because he had an aggressive form of cancer and she's devastated by it. And I am incredibly sad for her. I try to reach out to her but I feel terribly self conscious because I was always afraid of her dog and wouldn't pet him while I was over there, it wasn't a personal thing I'm just generally afraid of all dogs. Anyway, I don't want her to think I'm a phony for trying to sympathize with her so I was just hoping to get some reinforcement that I'm not an actual bad person for not having/wanting pets.

CanadianCutie 03-21-2014 10:44 AM

You're not a bad person for being uncomfortable around dogs, especially considering your experience. Your friend will appreciate your concern. Maybe mail her a sorry for your loss card. You might even find one specific to pets (best luck for that would be a Hallmark store).

Munchy 03-21-2014 11:34 AM

I am extremely uncomfortable around animals and always have been. When I go to a friend's house who has a large dog, for example, I prefer to stand because it would be easier to defend myself. I also keep my child away from most animals because I really don't know what they're going to do, how she will react, and how the animal will subsequently react to her reaction. I am afraid of a situation escalating out of control quickly. The intention is not to make any pet owners feel that they need to put their pets away, but is to keep myself safe.

My boyfriend recently moved into our house, and we have had a cat for about 3 months now (my first pet). I'm finally getting used to it. She is NOTHING like the cat that my parents got when I was 18 when I moved out. Their cat will scratch and hiss at you just for in the same room.

Anyway, some people love animals, some don't - doesn't make a difference as long as you're not hurting them!

GlamourGirl827 03-21-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny (Post 4967733)
Thanks for chiming in. I'm very afraid of all dogs ever since our family dog turned on me when I was younger.

Important detail! It is perfectly understandable that you would not want to be around dogs. I'd feel the same way! If someone cant get that, the heck with them. I'd say you owe no apologies. You had a very traumatic experience. I think it is expected that you are going to be on high alert. I'm not saying you shouldn't maybe work through this with a councilor if you want to have less anxiety around dogs, but until then, it makes sense you would feel that way.

Quote:

It is interesting that people brought up children. Before I had a child I wasn't a kid person either, I was rather indifferent so I find it understandable when someone can't muster up the same level of enthusiasm I have for my own kid's antics.

I still am not interested in other people's kids! I mean I enjoy mom conversations, I like seeing pics and stuff on facebook, but I am not someone that could ever be a preschool teacher. I just don't care care if my friend's kid got a tooth for more than the 5 seconds it takes me to read the status update on facebook lol...likewise, I don't post that kind of stuff on facebook, pics sometimes, but not often.

Quote:

But I have found that when it comes to children people can be fiercely mean for one reason or the other. What I'm more surprised at is the level of animosity from other Moms.

I have a theory that moms like that have 1 of two issues that are born from the same parent issue...1. They derive all their self worth from parenting, and therefore need to believe only they are right and that they are parenting the best way. 2. They are hearing from some other source that they are a bad parent and/or are unconfident in their parenting skills and are trying to "prove" they are a good parent.

I believe the first issue comes from a place of me me me, its about them and feeling important, right, smart, good....but I believe the second, while similar, comes from a place of wanting to do the best for their child. They want to be a good mom for their kid, and they don't want to think they are failing their child. I could be wrong, my theories are not supported by evidence only my personal observation.

Quote:

I refrain from ever complaining about lack of sleep or terrible twos scenarios with other Moms because inevitably they pull the "You only have ONE child" card, while they have two or more kids and they can get very condescending on me. I can't tell you how many times I've been put down by the "I'm more of a Mom than you because I have more kids than you" mentality.

I've said this and had it said to me. Frankly any amount of complaining about anything to someone with more whatever it is being complained about can elicit this reply. I think its no big deal to tell another mom you are struggling with a child/age/phase, no matter how many kids anyone has. I think going on and on and on about how hard it is can start to make the other person think "gee she only has ___kids"...and I say ____ because a mom of 6 can easily think 3 kids is easy!! In my opinion the first one is the hardest, because you are going through all of the phases for the first time and *typically* first time moms have a different view about parenting, whether it be more schedules, doing things "by the book" or the "right" way, worrying about toilet training too late, or having the pacifier too long...for me, by the 3rd I don't worry about that stuff any more, I think many moms relax with each child...the joke with my dad (6th child of 6) is that he raised himself! Anyway, there's always someone that's got it harder or easier..I have 3 but I had them 3 years apart each, so I did those early baby & toddler stage without having another baby or toddler. So I'm sure many moms can say I ONLY have one baby/toddler at a time...I did...who gives a crap?? If someone is that bored that they need to point that out, then I really don't need them around.. lol

Mrs Snark 03-26-2014 09:53 PM

Wannabe , I don't think your friend will think it's phony for you to offer your support at this difficult time. I'm sure she'd really appreciate the comfort. I know I would, whether you liked dogs or not would be irrelevant to me, I would know that you liked ME.

pghchick 03-26-2014 10:45 PM

Its just a preference and you are entitled to your own desires! I know everyone on here is being very understanding but there are also people who do judge. And there are non-animal lovers that look down on people who have animals and more specifically if they have more than one. It is a free country. Do whatever warms your soul as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

Locke 03-26-2014 11:45 PM

I have a german shepherd dog (and incidently two cats) so I'm very much in the animal lover camp. Unfortunately many people are afraid of the dog because of her breed. She's very loving if not a little aloof towards strangers. I totally understand that people have different histories with animals and preferences. I don't let my dog jump on people or touch them out of respect for their choices. I'm in an Islamic Studies master's program and many of my colleagues think dogs are unclean so I'm very attentive to other people's needs. I don't feel any sort of ill feelings at all. Dogs slobber, shed, and eat garbage. I totally understand why people would think they are unclean! I'm sure your friend appreciates your support right now.

Palestrina 03-27-2014 08:58 AM

Thanks everyone for your support, I did indeed reach out to my friend and went to spend some time with her and listened as she cried and recounted stories about her dog. She's known for a long time about my fear of dogs and even put her dog in another room if he was jumping on me and causing me distress when I would visit. I always appreciated that.

Coincidentally when I was on my way over there I took some things out to my car before I went. As I closed the trunk of my car there suddenly appeared a white pit bull sniffing at me. I panicked and stood still. There was no owner/human in sight. I think the dog sensed that I was scared, but he was very calm. He turned his back on me and turned his head to stare at me like "what's wrong with you lady" and so I calmly went back inside and waited for him to leave before I went out to my car again. I was shaking for a good 20min and it took a lot longer to shake the fear afterwards.

EagleRiverDee 03-27-2014 03:01 PM

I haven't read all the comments here, just the OP. I'm an animal lover, in an LTR (nearly 14 years) with a non-animal lover. Obviously, I don't think non animal lovers are bad people. I do sometimes feel baffled by what I perceive as my SO's inability to develop a deep bond with critters- particularly because critters adore him! My dog thinks the sun rises and sets on my SO, as does one of our cats. Both animals have just given their hearts to him, and it means nothing to him. I don't get that. But I'm sure he is equally baffled by the way I treat my pets like children, modify my schedule to their benefit (such as going home for lunch daily so I can let the pup out and dote on her and the cats, or not staying away from home overnight because one of the cats is diabetic and requires regular shots and we have no one to watch him), etc. No one is bad, we're just different from each other.

Radiojane 03-27-2014 03:28 PM

I literally grew up (spent more time there than home) in a Vet clinic. My father truly had a gift with animals. I think my brother does too, but he's suppressed it more.

Anyway, always had animals, and I was probably pretty judge -y of people that didn't have them/like them. (I actually have one guy friend, that could have been something more, and the fact that he has no use for/connection to animals was a major factor in me not pursuing the relationship). When I moved back after college though, I found myself pet-less for about five years due to where I was living and financial constraints. Just recently, we have acquired a cat, dog and two guinea pigs, in what is honestly, too small a space for that many animals. My boyfriend never had pets as a kid and he's making up for it now. I've also recently joined the board of the animal shelter (my dad was a founding member).

I'm finding that my attachment to animals has changed. Don't get me wrong, I love my pets, and I treat them well, but I'm acutely aware of the time, space, emotional investment and energy they take. I'm also far more respectful of those that choose not to have animals in their lives - partly because in some cases I see through the shelter, there are a lot of people who let their love for animals override their budget, common sense and ability to care for the pet, and then the animal suffers.

The only time a non animal lover really gets to me is my one friend who HATES pets. She has a dog because her husband loves it (thank god), and she just ignores that poor creature all day long. Won't give it any attention or affection, and I feel so sorry for it. She also actively discourages her kids (who love dogs and play regularly with their aunt's dogs) from touching their or other dogs because they're "dirty". Not a healthy way to foster any sort of relationship with animals for young kids, but that's just my opinion, and it's probably only irritating because she's so vocally negative about it.

seabiscuit 03-27-2014 05:17 PM

Hi there...

Wannabeskinny, I understand some of your fear about animals. I was bitten by a dog, a pitbull over the summer and I had to go to the ER, have my arm in a sling, then bandage my hand, go to hand therapy and get a tetanus shot. I was very lucky because besides some swelling, I was fine physically but emotionally I felt a bit shut down.

I have grown up with all sorts of animals, so it didn't take me too long to bounce back from the bite, but I am probably the exception. I grew up and had all sorts of pets- hamster, fish, guinea pig, cat, dog, bird and a horse! Now I have a guinea pig and he means the world to me. I always think about him and I love holding him, but some people don't really care for animals, I understand that. I don't personally care for screaming kids either. I don't mind some kids but I get a headache from kids yelling, crying, etc. I have got better with this but I don't really want to have a kid right now, maybe some day and I am not crazy about other people's little kids. Some babies are cute, and there are a few in my family who I adore but I love animals more because of the unconditional love.

Take care.

Amy

TooWicky 03-27-2014 06:27 PM

This thread intrigues me to no end. I feel like a member of an alien race because I am not an animal lover. I wouldn't say anyone has outright said I was a bad person or anything, but I definitely have gotten some surprised reactions at times.

It causes me angst because I have deprived my young children of having pets while growing up, and they badly would love one :( I am mostly a stay at home mother and the bulk of responsibility for pet care would fall on me. Pets live a long time and deserve a happy and attention-filled life. My parents loved dogs and took excellent care of our much beloved family pets during my own childhood. My younger childhood was spent going to endless dog shows because our dogs were show dogs. They were responsible and exemplary pet owners, so I had an example of what kind of commitment it takes to be a proper one. I am currently considering lifting family pet sanctions and getting a dog. This would be a new member of our family.

This thread reminded me that I was bit in the face when I was very young (my fault, also I was not seriously injured.) I had completely forgotten about it until a couple of you all mentioned it happening to you. To this day I would say I have a measurable fear of medium or larger sized dogs. Seeing a dog owner who is not keeping his/her dog on a leash upsets me badly, especially when it's a large dog who runs at me full tilt while an unconcerned owner yells, "Don't worry, she's really friendly." Also when a dog owner lets their dog jump all over me and doesn't even pull them off, what is with that! I feel very silly, but I've never made the connection between being bitten and my fear of dogs ><

Arctic Mama 03-27-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny (Post 4967296)

No, not bad at all. In fact I've found quite the opposite - those who let their love of animals or nature get in the way of compassion for other human beings, because they have an imbalanced worldview. Too often they elevate animals and plants, and end up with a relatively lessened esteem for their fellow man. This doesn't always happen, but I've seen it enough to think it isn't rare.

My husband and I aren't big animal lovers - we have some pets, for example, but they'd definitely occupy a low status in the house compared to all humans. I couldn't believe it when I heard the statistic that most people would save their dog over a stranger if they had to choose, as though a dog's life was more valuable than a human, whoever they were. There's something very, very wrong when that is a viable choice for people.

/off soapbox.

Arctic Mama 03-27-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4967567)
If people don't love, like or otherwise have fond feelings towards animals I could care less. It's a preference and I'm fairly liberal in regards to other people's preferences.

What I have a problem with is people who intentionally mistreat animals. Of course, people who love animals more than me would probably argue with my definition of what mistreating animals actually means.

I should have added this - absolutely! There is no excuse for mistreating or abusing any creature. I'd rather someone euthanize their animal before neglecting them, and as hunters we are very, very picky about what shots we make and what traps we use, so the animals do not suffer needlessly.

If someone cannot meet the minimum care requirements for their animal to live a healthy life to a reasonable lifespan, I would always recommend they re-home or humanely euthanize the animal instead of subject it to varying levels of misery. This just seems like a basic moral principle to me :?:

GlamourGirl827 03-27-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Mama (Post 4972115)
No, not bad at all. In fact I've found quite the opposite - those who let their love of animals or nature get in the way of compassion for other human beings, because they have an imbalanced worldview. Too often they elevate animals and plants, and end up with a relatively lessened esteem for their fellow man. This doesn't always happen, but I've seen it enough to think it isn't rare.

My husband and I aren't big animal lovers - we have some pets, for example, but they'd definitely occupy a low status in the house compared to all humans. I couldn't believe it when I heard the statistic that most people would save their dog over a stranger if they had to choose, as though a dog's life was more valuable than a human, whoever they were. There's something very, very wrong when that is a viable choice for people.

/off soapbox.

You said what I was thinking.

Arctic Mama 03-27-2014 10:07 PM

We can be meanies together then, GlamourGirl ;)

Palestrina 03-28-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooWicky (Post 4972072)
Seeing a dog owner who is not keeping his/her dog on a leash upsets me badly, especially when it's a large dog who runs at me full tilt while an unconcerned owner yells, "Don't worry, she's really friendly." Also when a dog owner lets their dog jump all over me and doesn't even pull them off, what is with that! <

^^^Yes! I have a fear of dogs so being pounced by a "friendly" one is not too different than having a heart attack for me lol. I also like to take my toddler to the park a lot and I do get really nervous around the unleashed dogs, some of them are bigger than my lad, why wouldn't I be nervous??

Living in NYC not a day goes by that I don't walk somewhere and find myself caught between 2 passing dogs on a leash. The snarling and the growling sends me into a panic but like I said, it's unavoidable and it happens several times a day! You'd think I'd have gotten used to it.

CherryPie99 03-28-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Mama (Post 4972115)

/off soapbox.

In a NY minute I would save my dogs before most people.

Arctic Mama 03-28-2014 11:41 AM

And I'd save you before any animal.

Radiojane 03-28-2014 03:45 PM

I've actually had the opposite experience: I've found that most people who can't be bothered with animals usually can't be bothered doing anything for their fellow human being.

novangel 03-28-2014 05:17 PM

I think there's a difference between not being an "animal lover" and not liking animals. If someone dislikes animals I kind of have to wonder but if you're just not a pet person then it's no different than someone who chooses not to have children. It's just not your thing...definitely doesn't make you a serial killer.

I will stop to notice someone's dog over a baby in a stroller though. Other people's children never interest me. :^:

nelie 03-28-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryPie99 (Post 4972471)
In a NY minute I would save my dogs before most people.

Ha, I would as well. My dogs and cats are part of my family.

My husband and I joke that his parents love their dogs more than they love him. In fact we were recently talking about an accident he had with a dog when he was a young child where the dog clipped him in the thigh and he has a large scar from it. He said his parents wanted to make sure he knew at the time it was an accident. I told him it was probably because his parents would've given him up for adoption if he couldn't be around dogs anymore.

So yeah, I value human beings great, I value animals greatly, if it came to a choice between my family (dogs/cats) and a stranger, I think instinctively, I would save my animals.

Radiojane 03-28-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novangel (Post 4972670)
I think there's a difference between not being an "animal lover" and not liking animals. If someone dislikes animals I kind of have to wonder but if you're just not a pet person then it's no different than someone who chooses not to have children. It's just not your thing...definitely doesn't make you a serial killer.

I will stop to notice someone's dog over a baby in a stroller though. Other people's children never interest me. :^:

^This. To both the first point and the picking the dog over a baby to coo at. The mutt will win over the baby with me any day. :D

Locke 03-28-2014 06:03 PM

I worked at a veterinary practice for several years. I'm embarrassed to admit that I can remember dogs' names easier than I can people's. I love my dog and two cats but at the end of the day they are animals. I'm a little bit turned off by people who treat their pets like they would children. I work in an office where people are allowed to bring their dogs to work. My supervisor's dog is her "child". He's spoiled rotten, has very expensive clothes, eats mostly people food, etc. He's also a terror- he growls and charges people in the office all the time. He is food aggressive and will try to bite you if you go anywhere near his lunch. If he was a big dog he'd probably have to be put down- but he's little and gets away with it.

GlamourGirl827 03-29-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Mama (Post 4972177)
We can be meanies together then, GlamourGirl ;)

Lol! Arcticmama, I don't know if you will agree but here is my take on it.

I think their are people that really enjoy/ love animals, but there are some that as you said, put them so high up that animals become center focus. I have witnessed this first hand many times, and there also seems to be the social side effect (or maybe was the underlying issue) that that person cannot properly relate to or hold relationships with other people. They see the pet as a source of unconditional love. Animals will forgive all those severe personality faults that stop the person from maintaining healthy human relationships.

Lets face it, children do not give unconditional love. My kids get made at me for silly things like making them wash their hands. They get angry and voice their displeasure. But a dog, though I don't have one now, I've had them in the past and they are always happy to see me. They don't care what I look like, if I talk about myself all day or if I haven't showered in days. There are no social demands with animals.

I think some people are very healthy and just love animals, but I do believe a subset of people "love" animals because they feel regected by, or have themselves regected human beings and cannot form or maintain healthy relationships with others. I watched it first hand as that was my mother. And when an animal lover shows those red flags, I stay away.

ReNew Me 03-29-2014 08:12 AM

You know, I think that question about "In an emergency would you save an an animal or a stranger?" is probably the dumbest hypothetical question anyone could possibly ask.

The reality is unless you've been in the battlefield or are an experienced emergency responder (or a person who has actually experienced being in a disaster, natural or man made) you have NO idea how you'll react in a situation where life or death decisions need to be made on the fly and you need to act on those decisions. You might grab the dog, you might help a stranger, you might freeze and curl into a ball and be the one who needs saving, you might run like you've been set on fire leaving your wife and kids to fend for themselves.

And frankly, I DO consider the environment and the ecological balance of this planet far more important than "humanity". Humanity we are not in danger of running out of any time soon, we actually have too many people, consuming too many resources at too rapid a rate. We are destroying animal and plant species at an unprecedented rate in this planets history and are leaving our children and grandchildren a depleted toilet as our legacy. Way to go humanity.

You folks who live in temporarily unspoiled areas like Alaska need to realize what you're looking at is a teeny, tiny little fragment of this world. For whole continents fresh water is becoming a huge issue. Most of the animals everyone goes to Africa to see are verging on functional extinction. Most apex predators are being wiped out systematically everywhere. The oceans are simultaneously being depleted of their fish and poisoned by heavy metals, plastic and general human garbage and feces.

Agent Smith was right when he said humans are a virus.