General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #1  

Default What motivates you on your weightloss journey?

I can say its getting healthy, or feeling good and while those are part of my reasons, I'm really embarassed to admit that my biggest motivation, what really puts a fire under me, is rooted in competition or doing better than people *I don't like*...I do not feel that way about loved ones/friends. But still, ouch, I hate that what gets me to stick to my plans, and work out is wanting to "win"..be thinner, stronger, healthier, faster (running)...as warped as it is, I will, without fail, lose weight as long as I remember that losing it will be a big "forget you" to a few people in my life...

What is your motivation?
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #2  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
I'm really embarassed to admit that my biggest motivation, what really puts a fire under me, is rooted in competition or doing better than people *I don't like*
That sounds totally understandable and human.

I mainly want to lose weight because I have hopes of achieving some goals that will require me to be fairly fit. I don't want to carry around anymore extra weight than I have to. Earlier this year when I was at my highest weight and really sedentary, I realized that I was drifting further away from my dreams and I'm just not OK with that.
LovesToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #3  
Never ever giving up!

S/C/G: See ticker :)

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I'm really embarassed to admit that my biggest motivation, what really puts a fire under me, is rooted in competition or doing better than people *I don't like*
I can really relate to this. In my case, it's mostly to be able to (doesn't mean I will) say "in your face" to people that have treated me bad because of my weight throughout the years. I'll admit that some part of my motivation is to look "hot" to make someone realize what they've missed out on, and that they could've had it if they hadn't been such jerks...Real mature, I know.

However, my biggest motivation is to be able to look good in clothes I actually like, and not feeling like people are looking down on me because I look fat.

I know all this might sound shallow, but actually it has something to do with me developing social anxiety, where all of the reasons for that coming down to low self esteem only because of my weight, and in addition to this I can't say I have any physical health issues due to being obese.
Em Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

My reason for starting when I did was my daughter's wedding, which is in April. I was large during my son's wedding in 2011 and now his wedding photos are forever proof of that. I didn't want to be large for my daughter's wedding photos. The reason I want to lose weight overall, however, is because diabetes is rampant in my family and I don't want to develop it. In fact, I'm not sure how I didn't, but every time I had a test done, my blood sugar was low. Then again, I'm hypoglycemic, so that's not really surprising. Some experts believe the step after hypoglycemia is diabetes so there's no going back for me. I have to do this, and I have to maintain it once I do! Oh, and I also would like to look and feel like myself again. I'm 52 and until about 14 years ago, I was not overweight. It's never felt right.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #5  
I WILL make it this time!

S/C/G: 247/195/180

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Default Motivation

It was my grown kids. They had "the talk" with us. Mainly saying we are headed for an early death and they would have no one else to turn to for help and guidance. That is what did it for us!
tonyiiiafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Spiritual discipline issue. I need to be a capable home manager, wife, and mother. I cannot accomplish what I must in a day when I am a slave to my food. So I dealt with the sin side of it (and still do, it's an ongoing process) and then dealt with the practical and habitual side. Now things are controlled, suitable for my body, and I am able to actually serve the people I love well because my body isn't acting like a prison.

I want to look hot for my husband and cute in clothes, sure, but none of those reasons was lasting or self sustaining for life. So I had to dig deeper.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 01-02-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Typo fix
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

I've said it a few times before I know, but my primary motivation was not to have to buy a bigger pair of jeans - I didn't want to see the next number up. I'm not sure if it should have been something more "worthwhile" but it worked for me.

What's keeping me on the straight and narrow at the moment though is the way that I feel now - I feel healthier and have so much more energy than I used to and I get antsy when I haven't moved enough over a few days. Well it's a combination of that and having bought an entirely new wardrobe and gotten rid of my old clothes!
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

Mostly vanity, with a side splash of "I'll show them" mixed with I don't want my kids to only remember me as "fat mom".

It hurts when DS says, "Mom used to look HOT!" when looking at old photos.

Want to get thin again before I get old, so I won't look like a scrawny bird when I reach goal. LOL
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

What motivates me is a big bowl of health concerns and regular old vanity with anger at having food issues and fear of letting myself down sprinkled on top.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #10  

Height: 5'2"

Pure vanity. I am toned but would like to see muscle definition in my abs & arms, which will only happen if I drop some body fat.

(I loved Arctic Mama's response.)
Misha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

For me it's vanity, but also fear. So many people in my family have weight issues and I'm afraid of experiencing some of the same consequences they have. Also, I'm planning to have children of my own eventually and I'll need to be alive and healthy for them.
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #12  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Me motivates me.

Not my wife. Not my kids. Not my mom. Me.

Last edited by IanG; 01-01-2014 at 10:43 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Having reversed a fatty liver that simply appeared over night, my main motivation now is to be able to travel like I did in my twenties (over 50 now). My husband and I travel to remote areas, and we need to be able to hike and bike far, and have the stamina to make the journey. Extra weight causes me knee problems, and makes me run out of energy too fast. So, really, travel is a big motivator. Second, you can get nicer fashions (i.e., more widely available) below size 14. Once I got back to 12's, I really had fun at Lord and Taylor. Lastly, I am working on joining our Masters group (swimming). I don't want to join until I am sure I can maintain this loss.
delmarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #14  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

In the beginning, it was partly vanity, and partly the fact that I wasn't the skinny sister any longer.

As time progressed, it became more about health.

Number one, that I feel better.

Number two, that there is a lot of obesity in the family and along with it the related health problems.

The more I look at certain family members, and even people in my community and the toll obesity takes on the body, the more, I don't want to go down that road.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

My health, 100%. Well, 98% and 2% buying smaller clothes

My mom led an incredibly unhealthy life and died of multiple strokes and a heart attack in 2003 at the age of 55. There's a huge history of heart disease, strokes and diabetes on that side of the family and all sorts of heart and other issues on my dad's side. My dad, brother and sister all still lead really unhealthy lifestyles and their health is suffering for it. I worry constantly about which one will be gone first.

I decided I wasn't going out like that in 2007. Even now, as I'm in a massive plateau, I look at my baby girl and tell myself there's no WAY I'm leaving her before I see her graduate college, get married and have children like my mom did me. At least not because of anything I could do my best to avoid.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote