General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #16  
Less of a Better Me

There are times that I've heard (in real life) or read (on forums) people who really do have excuses for being overweight and who do blame being overweight on things that others have done. Sometimes, people don't acknowledge that, regardless of those external things, they still have to be the one to take responsibility to lose weight. That taking responsibility can be doing a lot of different things. It might be calorie counting, or doing WW, or eating low carb, or exercising more, or undergoing weight loss surgery. On the other hand, some people do just make excuses for being overweight and don't do much to change things (I've been in that position myself).

On the other hand, I think the linked article paints with too broad a brush. I do know thin people who eat for pleasure, for example.

It is interesting to me to contrast myself with two of my kids who are both underweight and trying to gain weight. Some of the differences:

1. They do enjoy certain foods, but they usually only eat if they are hungry. They don't eat for something to do or because they are bored or because they are upset. They eat when they are hungry.

2. They don't get hungry very easily. And, they know when they are full and stop eating when they have had enough. They have no hesitancy to eat 1/3 of a restaurant meal and then just stop eating.

3. They are both very picky eaters who don't like a lot of variety. They eat the same things over and over and won't eat something they aren't interested in. So, because they are so picky at what they eat they aren't remotely tempted by the 95% of foods that they aren't interested in.

4. They both have a lot of things they like that aren't junk food. They like fruit, for example, and are just as happy to eat fruit as eat chocolate. They do like some junk food, but they stop eating when they are full and they get full very easily.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #17  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I'm not a fan of excuses, but I'm not a fan of this guy's sweeping generalizations either. For instance I have never been an emotional eater.

There's a personal, individualized reason that someone is overweight that takes a personal, individualized strategy (as John said) to overcome it.

For example:

Maybe someone is overweight because they eat too much at night? Is there a way they rearrange their intake during the rest of the day to help with that?

Perhaps someone has difficulty losing weight due to a medication they're on? Maybe there's an alternative med without the side effect.

But to say ALL 'fat people do or think this' and 'fit people think this', is just flat out wrong.

Last edited by Vex; 03-11-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote