I TEACH. Does that count for exercise? :)

• I feel like I burn thousands of calories when teaching. Lol. I'm a foreign language teacher and I have 6 beginner classes (12 hours each week). What y'all think? I'm talking about the talking, the moving, the gestures and all.
    I started my diet in early January and I'm now resuming work. It's the first day and I feel so exhausted after the first class already.
  • Fellow teacher here! I say it counts as quite a bit of exercise! I stand, walk, flail my arms, yell, and wildly gesture for 8 hours a day. If that doesn't count I don't know what does!
  • Yup. When I was teaching full time I didn't have much of a weight issue. But you should find out for yourself, wear a pedometer and you'll see exactly how much you move while teaching.
  • Quote: Yup. When I was teaching full time I didn't have much of a weight issue. But you should find out for yourself, wear a pedometer and you'll see exactly how much you move while teaching.
    Great idea! wannabeskinny. I'm actually gonna do just that!
    Thousandsunny Yeah right. If it doesn't count as exercise what would?
  • i'm in the same boat...i manage a childcare center that is on-site in an elementary school...i'm on my feet most of the day or at least up and down all day long...sadly i'm still overweight

i used to wear a pedometer and on my busiest days, it tracked 3 miles that i walked while at work
  • I feel like I need a four hour nap after a two hour Girl Scout meeting. I don't know how you guys do it every day. You should lobby to get paid by calories expended. You'd all be loaded.
  • Great to know fellow teachers agree. I was seriously wondering about that one. lol
  • It certainly counts as activity and does increase your calorie burn. Wearing an activity monitor might help give an idea of how much.

However, it doesn't do everything that more formal exercise may do. That is, it probably doesn't build the muscle that actual strength training would do. Likewise, it probably is not at high enough intensity to improve cardiovascular system.

Still, it is much better than for example than sitting at a desk all day.
  • Yep, probably. I burns calories though, sure thing!