3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Females over 140 lbs are big enough for their own awards?? What? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/292625-females-over-140-lbs-big-enough-their-own-awards-what.html)

GlamourGirl827 02-08-2014 09:49 PM

Females over 140 lbs are big enough for their own awards?? What?

Ok so now that I'm back into running, I've been searching our local races...anyway I came across a duathlon in Sept for autism, and for anyone that doesnt already know, my oldest son is autistic, so I was thinking of doing it. (Its not too bad, I could be ready by then)

And I'm looking at the age groupings for award, you know like every decade (20-29, 30-39 etc) and they have a seperate males over 200 lbs award group...ok...and an "athenas female" award group 140 lbs and over...

Really?! I just didn't think when I was 145 lbs before this baby that was was still that kind of big...I doubt I'll be below 140 by Sept...I'm not looking to win an award, gees, I just want to finish and do it for a cause that it close to me. But this kind of made me feel sad. Is this a normal weight cut off with race award groups?

alaskanlaughter 02-08-2014 09:59 PM

I've only seen age categories in races here....I've never heard of awards based on weight....that seems odd

GlamourGirl827 02-08-2014 10:10 PM

yeah, I'm kind of taking it as "those" people are so fat/heavy that they can't even compare to "normal" weight people...seems weird to me...and I'm one of those people! lol

nelie 02-08-2014 11:14 PM

Athenas are common in triathlons. When I was interested in doing a triathlon (before I rediscovered my fear of a 2 wheel bike), I read on various forums and there were a lot of Athena athletes, there is also a corresponding male version but I forget the name.

GlamourGirl827 02-09-2014 07:41 AM

It was clydesdale. I was just surprised that the weight cut off was 140! I dont think of it as that big that it needs a class of its own. :(

LovesToTravel 02-09-2014 09:47 AM

Huh, that's strange. In the local 5k races here the Athena category is for 150 lbs and up (and the corresponding Clydesdale category for men is +200 lbs). Maybe it depends who's organizing the race or what kind of race it is?

I can't imagine some of the taller athletic ladies being thrilled with the Athena cut off at 140 lbs though, yeesh. :halfempty

JoyfulVegGirl 02-09-2014 10:30 PM

I would actually be excited about that, it would give me a better chance to place (yeah, right).

I think this is pretty typical of most races, though. I know all of the races I've done have had a cutoff around 150. The thing is, you have to CHOOSE to be added to the category, and it's independent of height. That's because added weight typically adds a bit to your time, and this helps even the playing field for those runners who have more mass (muscle or otherwise).

So I wouldn't take it personally, it's more for competitive runners than anything. Kind of like weight classes in boxing.

krampus 02-10-2014 11:28 AM

140 seems like a weird cutoff unless there's a caveat "must be shorter than ..." - if you're 6 feet tall and 140 that's the same as being 5'6 and 110!

LongColdWinter 02-12-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampus (Post 4940539)
140 seems like a weird cutoff unless there's a caveat "must be shorter than ..." - if you're 6 feet tall and 140 that's the same as being 5'6 and 110!

I agree that it's a weird cut off. I have a 6 foot, 1 inch friend who is very, very fit and can run like nobody's business. I'm sure she weighs 140 or more, and she's quite thin.

Bellamack 03-15-2014 02:03 PM

Well then I would have blown them out of the water when I used to run. I always weighed 135-140 lbs and could run 5 miles doing 6 minute miles. I also was a very good competitve swimmer, so they can stuff their weight catagories. It should be only age.