General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

I'm glad I work out at home after reading these comments. When I've had a gym membership, I never paid attention to other people working out, unless I want to try what they are doing. Mostly, I just hope they aren't looking at me, thinking some of the things expressed here.

As for the overweight women on the track who supposedly look miserable, how do you know what they are feeling? Before my mother had knee replacement surgery, the only thing she could do was walk on the track or treadmill. She looked miserable because her knees were killing her, not because she wasn't committed. I find it so strange that someone would be judged for walking the track. Who cares?
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #32  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Dear new girl at the gym.

Some of us have always been fit, some of us not. I'm of the NOT group.

It does not matter.

You are here for your own reasons. You are paying for it. What we do, does not matter, what does matter, is what you do!

You do not need our opinion or approval, you only need your perseverance and dedication!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat117 View Post
Worry about your own backyard before you start looking at and judging your neighbors.
I suppose that's addressed at me. Sorry your fiance passed away, no I don't think you should have to giggle while you work out. And I don't judge anyone for the reasons they work out. Sometimes when I see someone punishing themselves with exercise I know it because I was one of those people at one time. And whatever vibe they're giving off is a sad reminder of how I was and can still feel sometimes. Like I said, it's not a judgement it's an observation and for whatever reason exercising if very emotional for me. I process emotions while I exercise and I consider myself an extremely empathetic person (which means I somehow absorb the emotions going on around me) so it does affect me when I see someone unhappy exercising for whatever reason.

And it is my backyard, it's where I go on a daily basis, I'm allowed to see the things that are going on around me and have an opinion on them. It's not like I stop anyone and tell them so, or that I go up to them and tell them to go home, but part of exercising in public has always been about observing and receiving the energy around me... I can't exercise alone in my house.

Furthermore, I fully expect that someone is going to look at me and have some sort of opinion about me. It does not bother me in the least because I'm quite proud of myself for working out even if I don't look like a victoria's secret supermodel while I do so. I suspect that people who are upset or angry about other people having eyesight are victims of their own insecurities.

Last edited by Palestrina; 02-12-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Yeah, I never looked at another person's grocery cart until I heard about it here. Now, I don't look, but I'm paranoid about being the fat chick seen with anything unhealthy in my cart. I had a panic attack over buying seafood dip. Seriously.
I have been embarrassed to eat in public since I was 11 years old because I feared being "the fat chick eating." I finally ate an item at lunch every few weeks when I was a senior in high school. I was 116lbs at the time, so maybe I felt "okay" enough to be seen eating. Most of that has passed, but...

About 5 years ago I was grocery shopping and there was a man behind me who I felt was looking too intently at my groceries and I immediately felt self conscious. You could literally pick my foods (plenty of fresh fruit and veggies, reduced fat dairy, whole grains) from my ex husband's foods (frozen pizza, frozen burritos, snacks). I was so self conscious that I actually turned and pointed at the unhealthy food and said "my husband is fat." The man said something along the lines of "and you love him." I actually didn't - I was about to leave him - but I digress. I never said anything like that ever again.

My own insecurities really just backfired on me and I worked hard in therapy to overcome a lot of that. I cringe at what I said. It was so judgy.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Sorry if this has been asked. I didn't read all the posts in the thread.

But has anyone noticed that as they lose weight they have become less judgmental at the gym?

When I was at my heaviest I use think people were giving me dirty looks, I would roll my eyes at the girls wearing make-up or fancy gym clothes, etc. But now that I have lost weight I just don't notice any of it now.

That happen to anyone else?
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLib View Post
Sorry if this has been asked. I didn't read all the posts in the thread.

But has anyone noticed that as they lose weight they have become less judgmental at the gym?

When I was at my heaviest I use think people were giving me dirty looks, I would roll my eyes at the girls wearing make-up or fancy gym clothes, etc. But now that I have lost weight I just don't notice any of it now.

That happen to anyone else?
That's interesting because I do believe there is a corrolation between making judgements and confidence. When we don't feel too good about ourselves we're in a negative state of mind and maybe it makes us feel better to point out other people's faults. Weightloss doesn't necessarily make people better but it makes them feel better and have less reason to exhibit negative behaviors.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
That's interesting because I do believe there is a corrolation between making judgements and confidence. When we don't feel too good about ourselves we're in a negative state of mind and maybe it makes us feel better to point out other people's faults. Weightloss doesn't necessarily make people better but it makes them feel better and have less reason to exhibit negative behaviors.
I agree, it not about being a better person because the truth is when I do notice things like people who are large I usually "think I'm glad I'm not that big anymore." What I mostly feel though is sort of indifference of other people at the gym which is sad in whole other way. But I think, in retrospect, no one was giving me dirty looks they were probably just indifferent sort of like I am now.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #38  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I was running/walking (Couch25K) on the indoor track the other night, and there was an exercise class meeting on the track for their workout -- only 2 women and about a dozen men -- sweating like crazy and jumping rope, running at top speed, lifting free weights, sit-ups -- all in timed intervals, and it looked like murder! And, I had to run through it. I just kept running round and round -- dodging the jump ropers (scary!) and stepping around the ones doing sit-ups -- for 30 minutes! And, you know what? They weren't bothered by me. In fact, the beefiest guy there gave me a high-five as I passed him on my rounds! I loved that! He acknowledged me -- I belong there as much as he does!

That's the first time anyone has really approached me and acknowledged my workout-- other than fellow class participants chatting and commiserating when we're all tired after class.

If we weren't both so busy and so sweaty, I would've hugged that guy. He made my day, and possibly my year! I'll never forget his encouragement.

As far as judgmental folks go... it takes all kinds. There are always going to be judgy people everywhere. I just hope they keep their judgement of me to themselves.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote