General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Default Is your winter coat REALLY WARM

So I have quite a few winter coats. However today it got really cold and I had on one of my jackets that I wear on my days off to run around town.

I got it from The Avenue so you may know what it looks like one of those 3/4 puffy coats with a faux fur trim hood.

Well walking from my house to the car... about 20 steps I could feel the cold going through me and realized I dont' have a REALLY REALLY warm coat.

My husband and daughter have NORTH FACE DOWN HYVENT coats and they are Warm.waterproof and windproof. So I go looking on line and of course it doesn't come in a 3x. SMH .

So I figured I come to the boards and see if anyone has a nice warm DOWN coat in a plus size and where did you get if from.

Thanks in advance
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Lol, this thread just made me realize that I do not have a winter coat! Jackets, yes but winter coats specifically for winter, no. I tend to layer up a lot though.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

you might try overstock? I love my coat from LL Bean, but I don't know about their plus sizes.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #4  

Default warm coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Lol, this thread just made me realize that I do not have a winter coat! Jackets, yes but winter coats specifically for winter, no. I tend to layer up a lot though.
That's one thing I don't do is layer up.Then again I'm litteraly OUTSIDE about 5 minutes a day when I get in my car I crank the heat up and turn on the seat warmers. By the time I get to work I'm nice and toasty.

My husband and my sister and a couple of people at work wear long johns all winter long. I get to warm at work for that. I even wear a sleeveless shell under my suit jacket all winter long.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I have 3 winter coats. Usually I'm fine layering a hoodie under my leather jacket (from Roaman's), I also have my dressy coat, which is polar fleece, again I have to have a sweater under it, as the wind whips through it. The heaviest one I have is from about 4 years ago from Meijer. It is really warm and has a faux fur lined hood that can be removed. It is black with shiny black flecks on it. I rarely wear it, as it is often too warm, but I will be wearing it if I have to go out this week.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love Eddie Bauer coats which do come in 3x if need be
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I have to confess, I am a coat wh**re! I have tons of coats. Many I've bought, but where I work, for a veterinarian, our large animal drug reps, give us at least one coat a year.

My warmest coat, is one I bought at the local farm store, from the mens department. It's that heavy canvas duck, lined, has a hood, cuffed sleeves and a long tail that covers my back side. It's not cute, nor a fashion statement, but it's warm!

If you really want down filled, I'd check Cabela's or Bass Pro, or look for places that sell ski wear.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I personally am not a fan of down coats because I don't need to look bigger than I am. Thinsulate is a warm, thin lining.

I mentioned Eddie Bauer earlier but LL Bean and Lands end both have warm, plus size jackets.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #9  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

My jacket is an XL, but I'm pretty sure this brand carries others. I have a Free Country coat with a removable liner & hood and waterproof/windproof exterior. Its super warm.

If they don't carry larger sizes, I know Columbia does because my mom has a 3X jacket from them.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #10  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'm planning to head to the LL Bean site and write them a glowing review for this coat: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/42359...warm-coat-long. I bought it several years ago and had worn it maybe four times until THIS winter, when I swear I've never taken it off. I've been outside for over an hour in wind chills of -25F, and nothing will go through this coat. It goes all the way down to midcalf. The hood, when up, extends past your face a good 4", and it is also down-filled. I see that it's sold out for this season - not a surprise. It does come in XL, it will make you look like the Michelin man, but you will be warm. I no longer give a (ahem) care in the world about what I look like - maybe it's not a fashion statement, but this winter I have had women threaten to mug me for this coat.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Shcirerf Ahh free drug rep coats! I miss those! My dad was a vet. I don't think I bought a jacket all through high school!

I bought mine at Pennington's, which is essentially a Canadian Lane Bryant. Their coats are categorized by warmth. I bought warmest. It's not down, but it has a removable liner and has served me quite well when we've had several -45C days this winter. It also doesn't make me look too much like the stay puft marshmallow man.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Lands end, especially this time of year, has a lot of their coat stock on clearance. I have a knee length parka from them and it is toasty down to about -15 (it's rated warmer, but coats and sleeping bags always perform a bit under the rating in my experience), and then I need to add another base layer to be truly warm.

I got this coat for $75 after clearance and a coupon. It was originally in the $200 range, if I remember correctly.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #13  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Another brand I recommend is sold exclusively for a local retailer here - Army Navy (Classic Alaska) but they ship. This is where my husband has to get his fire-rated arctic gear for when he goes up on the slope, and they don't make them warmer or more sturdy than the brands available here. The value is usually very good, too.

http://classicalaska.com/shop/133573...wn-parka1.html
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #14  

Have you tried Carhartt? Reasonable prices and the sizes run large.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #15  

I found one coat online that is a 3x and down it over $300 I'll wait awhile.....it's 14degrees right now it was 3 when I wokd up this morning. SMH.

Some of the companies mentioned don't make a 3x .