3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Will Losing Weight Deepen My Nasiolabial Folds? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/291715-will-losing-weight-deepen-my-nasiolabial-folds.html)

Veronica133 01-16-2014 01:16 PM

Will Losing Weight Deepen My Nasiolabial Folds?

I'm in my late 20s.

And I have some minor nasiolabial folds. I plan to lose roughly 70 pounds.

Given that the weight loss will likely affect (make less chubby) my face, do you suppose that that could deepen my nasolabial folds?

Do you know anyone whose nasolabial folds deepened after a significant weight loss?

pixelllate 01-16-2014 02:43 PM

I've seen it happen and it has happened to me. Along with forehead wrinkles! It was mild though because I have "Asian elastic" skin, but still kinda a stark contrast to my young features. On the plus side, that was when I reached my thinnest - I heard that you fill in a bit more as time goes on.

TooWicky 01-16-2014 06:40 PM

I'm significantly older than you are (I'm in my late 40s.) I started off morbidly obese and have lost a little over 80 lbs so far. I had quite a chubby face at my starting weight. I don't recall having any nasiolabial folds before I lost weight. Two and a half months ago I posted a thread inquiring about people's experience with facial wrinkles and those exact folds. Losing weight made me look much closer to my actual age because expression lines and wrinkles were no longer hidden by an obese face. I was most upset about the development of nasiolabial folds for sure! ugh! However, I wanted to reassure you that in the last two months, my face has "settled" for lack of a better word. The folds have noticeable flattened and have diminished some. They now resemble more age-appropriate facial lines and only look fold-y closer to my nose. Collagen is an issue for middle-aged ladies like myself - an issue you won't be dealing with. Losing a lot of weight is a long journey that does not end when you reach your goal weight. You will see skin/appearance improvements during maintenance as well, it just takes time. Don't be discouraged :) Facial changes aside, I absolutely look much better and healthier overall. Smiling helps camo the folds :)

You are still quite young and it's possible losing weight might even eliminate those rolls because your youth usually equals much better skin elasticity. I saw a progress photo of a couple of younger people who started off with nasiolabial folds and they flat out disappeared by the time they reached their goal weight, so it's not a given at all that those folds will deepen or become more exaggerated.

Bellamack 01-16-2014 07:04 PM

very good reply toowicky! I would also recommend drinking lots and lots of water, it is your best friend and your skins best friend & make sure you take a vitamin that has the B's in it. Good Luck :)

nelie 01-16-2014 08:13 PM

I never knew there was a name for that face feature. I've known quite a few people with nasiolabial folds including some relatives and I always thought it was kind of cool.

As for yourself, you won't know what changes you experience until you lose weight.

Veronica133 01-16-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 4921209)
I never knew there was a name for that face feature. I've known quite a few people with nasiolabial folds including some relatives and I always thought it was kind of cool.

As for yourself, you won't know what changes you experience until you lose weight.

There's a name for pretty much everything

shcirerf 01-16-2014 11:36 PM

My "N" went "south" years ago! LOL.

Hubby, kids and grandkids still love me!:carrot::D

A lot more than the "N" has gone south! It's all good!

I'm healthy and happy!:D

mandypandy2246 01-18-2014 03:44 PM

WAit - are nasiolabial folds a bad thing? I feel like they look really attractive on a lot of people!!

VioletDolphin83 01-20-2014 02:47 AM

I didn't know that these folds were a bad thing. My mum has always had them and she hasn't even lost a lot of weight and has always been thin. I don't think it's something to worry about really.

Arctic Mama 01-20-2014 06:55 PM

Um... Yes? A little? My experience was like TooWicky's, where they worsened and then got better. And even if they never had, I still looked a universe better than I did one hundred pounds before. It's not even on the radar of anyone but me, and fat is far more aging than wrinkles to young features, in my experience. I look younger at 27 than I did at 20, for just this reason.

Paulitens 01-20-2014 11:16 PM

Mine were more defined when I was skinnier (when I was exactly the weight I would now like to achieve). I am kind of dreading that now because I always brag about how I'm aging so nicely, with no gray hairs or wrinkles. Oh well. I think I much rather have a few more wrinkles here and there but be healthier. ;)

Mad Donnelly 01-21-2014 12:11 AM

Well, I definitely don't want those folds; but I think hydration makes a bigger difference on these than wrinkles (tho hydration helps your overall skin, too). I also think if you're doing low fat, they tend to be more pronounced. I think low carb where you're consuming more fats helps that. I am doing low carb and drinking a ton of water so I am hopeful. But I'm glad to hear that really nobody seems to mind them on other people. It's something I tend to really notice (I think Richard Simmons has really deep NL folds), tho.

alfredficher 01-30-2014 02:13 AM

Yes it will definitely help, but you have to lose weight significantly. Just be determined about losing weight, do exercise daily, follow a proper diet plan and you will see your body as you want.
Visit this website for more health tips and articles : makkelijkafvallen.org

Vex 01-30-2014 07:25 PM

re:

Mine have gotten significantly worse since losing weight, and I can't stand them. It's all I see when I look in a facial picture of me. I'm a bit older too - 44, so all my wrinkles have shown up as well. They don't annoy me enough though to tempt me to spend money on plastic surgery though - yet.

Given that, would I lose the weight all over again even knowing this is how my face would turn out? In a heartbeat. I'm sure people notice fat way more then they notice wrinkles.

F1reFly 08-29-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooWicky (Post 4921156)
I'm significantly older than you are (I'm in my late 40s.) I started off morbidly obese and have lost a little over 80 lbs so far. I had quite a chubby face at my starting weight. I don't recall having any nasiolabial folds before I lost weight. Two and a half months ago I posted a thread inquiring about people's experience with facial wrinkles and those exact folds. Losing weight made me look much closer to my actual age because expression lines and wrinkles were no longer hidden by an obese face. I was most upset about the development of nasiolabial folds for sure! ugh! However, I wanted to reassure you that in the last two months, my face has "settled" for lack of a better word. The folds have noticeable flattened and have diminished some. They now resemble more age-appropriate facial lines and only look fold-y closer to my nose. Collagen is an issue for middle-aged ladies like myself - an issue you won't be dealing with. Losing a lot of weight is a long journey that does not end when you reach your goal weight. You will see skin/appearance improvements during maintenance as well, it just takes time. Don't be discouraged :) Facial changes aside, I absolutely look much better and healthier overall. Smiling helps camo the folds :)

You are still quite young and it's possible losing weight might even eliminate those rolls because your youth usually equals much better skin elasticity. I saw a progress photo of a couple of younger people who started off with nasiolabial folds and they flat out disappeared by the time they reached their goal weight, so it's not a given at all that those folds will deepen or become more exaggerated.

I like your post TooWicky. Gives me hope that after I settle at my goal weight, maybe the NS folds won't be too bad. I'm hating how they've just appeared...have never had them and I still have 25 pounds to lose, so not sure how they'll look.

I just posted about this in "How did your face change after you lost weight".

Have you noticed your face "settle" more as time has gone by? Or perhaps you just are more used to seeing your new face too.