3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > General chatter

General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

A diet blog

Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
Pattience

S/C/G: 80.2kg/68.8kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Default A diet blog

Hi All. I Hope this is the forum where i can belong.

I'm a not strict vegetarian but i have been following a basically vegetarian or pescetarian lifestyle for maybe 10 years now. I am a vegetarian for moral reasons not for dietary reasons. I don't eat meat every week. I just eat it when i am weak or slip up or sometimes with intention as i did for christmas when i bought a free range chicken for lunch with the family or when i was in france for a holiday because i do like meat and i wanted to experience french food as best i could.

I'm going to start a new post for my diet plan. But first here's what i ate yesterday.

Breakfast: One cup of cornflakes and one cup of milk followed by coffee, no sugar.

Lunch: a very large mango. (R2E2 we grow them.)

At about 4pm: a baked bean sandwich on wholegrain bread, no butter.

Dinner: A good sized serve of CANNELLONI. Here's how i made it. Apart from shopping, preparation time was quick. No more than 30 minutes.

1 box cannelloni
500g ricotta (i used quite a runny one in box but i think from the deli is much better value and quality).
a fair bit of frozen spinach, defrosted
a smallish chunk of grated parmesan of finely
1 onion, diced and sautéed in a splash of olive oil maybe 1tbsp
salt and ground black pepper
about half a jar of leggos bolognese tomato sauce. (This has a tiny bit of meat in it. But any similar vegetarian tomato sauce would be fine - this one was a guilty pleasure bought some time ago).
Water.

method:
I followed the recipe on the back of the box but i altered it slightly to go like this.
1. In a bowl put in ricotta, spinach, onion, most of the parmesan, salt and pepper. And mix.
2. Put in saucepan and cook up a bit, probably to warm it up. I'm not sure if most of the liquid should be cooked off. Probably to preserve a firm consistency later on in the cannelloni.
3. Spoon the mixture into the cannelloni tubes. I found it a good idea to hold the tube against the flat top of say a flat lid so that it didn't run out the bottom. If its stiff you may need to poke it down with the end of the spoon. YOu can use a piping tube if you are really organised.
4. Put that aside. Add about 1/2 cup of water to the tomato sauce and maybe warm it up on the stove.
5. in a square or rectangular casserole dish, grease the bottom with olive oil
6. Tip in enough sauce to cover the bottom.
7. Layer as many cannelloni tubes as you can fit in the dish.
8. Pour the remainder of the sauce over the top. The cannelonis should be almost covered i think but i am not too certain.
9. sprinkle over the remaining cheese. You do not need to smother the dish with cheese (since we are on a diet) because the cannelloni are already very cheesy and tasty. So resist doing that. You could leave the cheese completely out of the filling if you prefer to put all of it on the top.
10. cook 30 minutes at 180 degrees C. or until tubes are soft.

Serve with a green salad if you wish to be really virtuous.

I think i ate about 4 tubes for dinner.

I did not feel hungry during the day on this diet and this morning my scales have gone down again which has surprised me. Sometimes all you have to do to lose weight is just eat regular sorts of meals and quit all the extra junk you usually eat. I didn't even do much activity. I had to go and work as a receptionist in the afternoon. That's a volunteer position.

Last edited by Pattience : 01-06-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Pattience

Lol i just looked at my current weight again and thought i had been doing great until i realised i was 77kg a few days ago. Today i am 77.6kg. My weight fluctuates enormously so i am not bothered but i had forgotten i had already got down to this weight. I don't believe in stressing about a couple of hundred grams from day to day. There are lots of factors causing that and none of them are cause for concern. Its only if it consistently going up that i would worry but the truth is when that is happening, i tend not to be watching at all.

I think i am pretty good at dieting, though in the end after reaching a trim figure and a low weight, i always fail and end up as fat or fatter than i was to start with. The reason for that is that i find it hard to maintain good habits in the long term. So this diet is all about that ultimately. I am not in a hurry to lose all the flab because that's not sustainable either. Though i expect it to come off fairly steadily. I would just be happy if i could avoid dining on lollies, icrecream and cakes as my staple food which is what i tend to do between diets. Because i know that if i could just stick to eating normal healthy food, i would probably lose weight and be able to keep it at a healthy level. Though of course to get it down so that i look nice again and feel fit and healthy will require some effort and food restriction.

What i am doing new this time is to try to do one day fasts. It would be great if i could do one a week but i am not going to lock myself to that because that seems like a recipe for failure. I shall just do it when i think of it but generally have it in mind to do them as often as possible. Fasting seems to be a bit of the latest fad though its a new one done this way. This is not fasting for detox which i am not convinced about. This is just a one day fast, though i know you can do it for two days. I think that would be too tough for me.

So on the second day of my diet, i did it for one day. It was very tough. The end part in the middle of the night was really tough. I had wanted to go until breakfast the next day to make a proper day but in fact i broke it after midnight which made it a bit more than 24 hours.

The day i decided to start this diet (which i want to try to keep to for a whole year) i had been on my way to visit a friend and i had intended to stop at a supermarket to buy some lollies to eat. Then all of a sudden i said to myself, no enough of this. So i went on to my friend, had cake and coffee and went home without going to the supermarket. I had been hungry as i hadn't had breakfast. The christmas cake sorted me out.

My diet is going to be moderate and apart from the fasting, without any gimmicks like low carb (which i don't believe in), this or that miracle food and so on. Its mainly about eating at meal times and preparing a reasonable low cal meal. And also trying to bring exercise back into my life.

With regard to exercise, its very hot where i live and so a lot of stuff is hard to do. But there is a group who goes bike riding together on early on a Saturday morning and i want to join them. I haven't got around to it yet but i am warming up to it. I want to do it for the sake of my bike as well which usually gets a rusty chain between use. And then i have to go and spend a ton of money getting it changed.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi, generally the only rule in the vegetarian forum is that we would like to keep it vegetarian in terms of food talk so we ask for no recipes with fish/meat or excessive talk about or recommending eating meat. You certainly don't have to be vegetarian to post in the vegetarian form.

Welcome and good luck
Old 01-07-2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Pattience

Yes i get that. No problem.

Food today:

B: cornflakes milk
L: 2 x toast with butter, 1 tomato, bit of onion, bit of parsley, sprinkle of fetta cheese
1 Banana
1 cup of carrot soup

Still to go.
D: big glass of wine maybe, if not fruit or yoghurt, egg (but i haven't got any) or milk.
3 Cannelloni (ricotta and spinach) with tomato sauce on top
1 cup of milk allowance for coffee throughout the day.

All of that without the carrot soup, because i forgot to factor it in, comes to 1450 calories according to fitness pal.

I decided to sign up to fitness pal to check it out. It wasn't that hard but i wonder if i will persist with it.
Anyway i did find out that i can consume 1650 calories per day and lose 1/4 of a kilogram per week or roughly half a pound whilst doing no exercise.
My fat allowance is over for today but my carbs and proteins are still down. I suppose i should have some yoghurt or an egg or milk if i get hungry. I could also forego the wine.

My open sandwich lunch was delicious. Its very easy to make.

OPEN TOMATO SALAD SANDWICH
Its actually a little tomato salad on top of the toast.
1 onion
1 or 2 tomato (depending on your appetite)
1tbsp parsley
25g of quality fetta cheese
salt and pepper

dice the onion finely, put a small tablespoon in a bowl, unless you love raw onion then put as much as you want in.
put the rest of the onion in a container in the fridge for other use
dice the tomato fairly small, add to bowl
finely chop parsley add to bowl.
add salt and pepper and mix

tip onto buttered toast and sprinkled over the crumbled fetta

Eat with knife and fork.

I"m having a frustrating time this afternoon with my sewing machine. I just discovered the tension is too high and i don't know how to fix it. Stupid mechanic man. I was all set to do some serious work and now i can't. I don't feel like going to yoga now either.

Last edited by Pattience : 01-08-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Pattience

Reposting my dinner:

D: big glass of wine which made me drunk and caused a slight loss of judgement and resolve.
Hence:
3 Cannelloni (ricotta and spinach) with tomato sauce on top
1 cup of milk allowance for coffee throughout the day.
+ a chunk of salami i found in the fridge and
a very large mango

There might have been something else but i can't think what it was. I"m drinking coffee now so i think i've had 5 cups today. NO sugar. Just about 1/4 cup of fresh milk.

but i've also been drinking water.

I am bored today though my morning went ok. Its a real pain for me to get this sewing machine business sorted out. I'll spare you the details but its costing me too much money and time and effort. That's what you get when you get some average handyman deciding to muck about with sewing machines and knowing really nothing about them.

Tomorrow i have to go to work because i've been asked to do a few extra shifts. I gave in to be nice but i'm really not keen.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
Pattience

I was asked to do a few extra shifts of work so i had to go in today. I regretted agreeing to this but anyway i got there and just felt crappy the whole time but got to have a supportive chat with someone afterwards. I've been feeling quite stressed. Then i went shopping and met another friend and i sat with her while she ate lunch. I had tea. So by the time i left her and did my shopping (I went on a big shopping spree in the supermarket) i was feeling almost relaxed but certainly more myself. I'm all inspired to cook up some yummy foods now and bought rather too much food, including too much cheese but i promise to be judicious with it. I had no desire whatsoever to go down the chocolate aisle in the supermarket. NO temptations to struggle with. My boss offered to make me a sandwich at work but i resisted and made my own, although the offer was sweet. Perhaps i should have said yes. It might have been more interesting than a second banana sandwich.

Food today:
Breakfast: Banana sandwich made with a big banana, 2 slices whole grain bread, butter. Coffee w milk

Lunch: Banana sandwich as above. I didn't have time to do anything different.

Afternoon: 1 orange.
Later: 1 250ml cup white wine.

Dinner tonight:

1 cup roast pumpkin and vegetable soup.
1/2 cup basmati rice
1 cup chickpea and vegetable curry.

Tea and coffee with milk.

I['m keen to put my recipes through fitness pal now. I always start a diet quite loose and tighten it up as i go along. The main thing at this point in time is to stick to eating at meal times and not get sucked into lolly binges because then i'm done for. Apart from losing weight, my main aim is to avoid binging and overeating which would keep me losing weight anyway.

In the end i just used other recipes already on fitness pal to estimate my calorie intake. Its tricky so i've no idea how useful the numbers are today. I'm over my limit a fair bit. i am supposed to go with 1650 calories and what i registered on the site comes to just over 1900 calories.

Last edited by Pattience : 01-09-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:31 AM   #7
Pattience

Default Roast Pumpkin Soup

1kg of butternut pumpkin (or other), chopped into chunks
1 potato, peeled and quartered
1 onion, peeled quartered
1 carrot, peeled and quartered (Optional)
1 apple, peeled and halved (optional)

Olive oil for roasting
salt
all spice
3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1. litre of water
a knob unpeeled fresh ginger (approx 1.5 tbsp when grated)

Put all the chopped vegetables in to a large mixing bowl, tip in oil and try to coat all the vegetables thoroughly.
Spread out on a baking tray.
Sprinkle with salt and all spice powder though its always better to start with whole spices as they have best flavour.
Bake for 45 -60 minutes or until cooked, turning vegies half way through on about 180 degrees C.
Remove vegies from oven and cool a little bit. Peel garlic and ginger and pumpkin. . In a bowl, blend all with ba-mix or food processor or mash with fork/potato masher if necessary.

Tip into a saucepan, add water and pepper. Heat through, adjust salt and and water if necessary.

If you wish, push the soup through a sieve to get a smooth consistency.

Heat through to serve. Serve straight, Yoghurt instead of the usual cream is a stir through option but not essential.

2 tomatoes, roasted is an option as well.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
Pattience

Overnight i lost 1.6kg. I know its lots of water due to not eating a cheesy recipe like the cannelloni which is high cheese and therefore high salt. Still I wasn't expecting this much.

I feel so good about my food. I usually do when i'm on a diet actually. I eat much better tasting food when i'm on a diet than when i'm not. I find it important to enjoy cooking and preparing my meals to eat well.

I need to do some work today. but i have a big fabric parcel at the post office. Its a half drive there and back and disrupts my day. I don't know if i can put it off though.

today i need to phone the sewing machine mechanics to sort out my problems there. I also need to hunt for my missing ducks and steal their eggs. I don't want more ducklings running about, as much as deep down i do want them because they are the cutest things.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #9
Pattience

Food today:

coffee w milk no sugar throughout the day but plenty of water as well.

Breafkast:
Cornflakes with milk and then coffee.

Lunch:
Pink Omelette (recipe to come later)

Afternoon:
1/2 cup wine

Dinner:
1 cup roast pumpkin soup
1 cup risotto - pea and broccoli (i'll share the recipe if its any good but i am not hopeful of this one.)
1 canele - a very small cake (an experimental recipe i've been wanting to figure out for a long time). I batch makes 12. mixture includes, flour, egg, milk, 1tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp butter, tbsp honey.

Actually the risotto wasn't bad but i think you can do better by following any traditional risotto recipe. I don't think i will make risotto with broccoli again though it was acceptable.

Basically ingredients for 8 serves of 1 cup:
1 cup arborio rice
1 whole broccoli
1 can peas
1 onion
1/2 cup white wine
1 litre of water and stock powder
1tbsp olive oil
20g butter
1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese.

Last edited by Pattience : 01-10-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Pattience

My fitness pal diet calories for today. I don't intend posting this everyday but i made a few recipes today. And its interesting to see how fitness pal calculates them. Its good to be able to enter the recipe as a whole and have it broken into serves. But i have to admit i have estimated how many serves are in the whole thing by sight. Perhaps i will have to make sure it works out that way to not blow my calories.

January 10, 2014
FOODS Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber
Breakfast

Kellogs's - Cornflakes, 1 cup 100 24g 0g 2g 0mg 200mg 3g 1g
Csr (Australia) - Raw Sugar, 1 tsp 16 4g 0g 0g 0mg 1mg 16g 0g
Glass of Milk - Whole, 1 cup 146 11g 8g 8g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g
Generic - Whole Milk 100ml, 50 ml 32 2g 2g 2g 0mg 0mg 2g 0g
Lunch
Pink Omelette, 1 serving(s) 505 46g 27g 19g 433mg 297mg 18g 5g
Dinner
failed canele, 1 serving(s) 105 17g 3g 3g 19mg 23mg 5g 0g
Roast Pumpkin Soup, 1 serving(s) 216 31g 10g 3g 0mg 10mg 7g 5g
Gossip - Wine White, 125 ml glass 125 0g 0g 0g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g
Broccoli and Peas Risotto, 1 serving 192 27g 5g 7g 4mg 131mg 3g 2g
Snacks
Dairy Farmers (Australia - Fresh Milk - Whole, 250 ml 159 12g 9g 9g 0mg 110mg 12g 0g
TOTAL: 1,596 174g 64g 53g 456mg 772mg 66g 13g

I am below my calculated allowance. So that was good to see.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
Pattience

Food today:

Breakfast:
cornflakes, milk, coffee

Lunch:
1.5 cups broccoli and peas risotto

Dinner:
1 cup wine i.e. 250ml

I canele - i had forgotten all about these until someone else brought them to my attention so i had one.

Small salad
100g Spaghetti w 46g smoked salmon, shredded w 1tsp olive oil
I would have liked parsley but i didn't want to walk out in the rain to get it.

My salad
1/2 cup mixed green leaves
2 cherry tomatoes halved
sprinkle of finely diced onion
tbsp vinaigrette

I haven't put this through the calorie calculator yet so i am not sure of the total but i think its fine.

I feel i have to make a comment on the fish, because this is the vegetarian forum. I do eat fish from time to time. I eat less of it than i used to. On my big shopping spree the other day, i bought this packet of tasmanian smoked salmon. It will make four serves. According to fitness pal, my protein intake is still a bit low and I'm' not yet in the mood for doing lots of beans yet. so i thought the fish would fix that up real quick. When i'm not a diet, i tend not to worry about how much protein i'm eating and probably don't eat enough. Now that i'm on it, i'm only paying attention because its been calculated and telling me i'm falling short. Its also why i deliberately chose to cook an omelette yesterday. I've gone off eggs in recent times though perhaps i will make more effort for them now.

Last edited by Pattience : 01-11-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:08 AM   #12
Pattience

Food today: I came in at 1 calorie over my allowance. 1651.

Breakfast:
cornflakes, milk, coffee

Lunch:
1.5 cups broccoli and peas risotto
1 large banana

Dinner:
1 cup wine i.e. 250ml
1 large mango
Large salad with hot smoked salmon, cheese.

My yummy salad
1 cup firmly packed mixed green leaves
1 tomato diced
1 good chunk of cucumber diced
sprinkle of finely diced onion
46g crumbled salmon
2 lumps bocconcini
1tsp fetta cheese crumbled
tbsp vinaigrette

Coffee all day. Plenty of water. No exercise.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #13
Pattience

Food today: I haven't counted my calories today.

Breakfast:
cornflakes, milk, coffee

Lunch:
baked bean sandwich with no butter.
-I was at work. And nearly forgot to take anything at all with me.

Extended Dinner:

banana as soon as i got home.
carambola not long after
one passionfruit not long after that
1 cup roast pumpkin soup not long after that
1 cup broccoli and pea risotto not long after that.

Coffee all day and not as much water as lately.

I was doing all sorts of little activities as i stuck these things in one after another. The thing was i didn't want to cook dinner at all but i needed to eat. I wanted to get up to my workroom and get into my sewing. Today i showed some things to a couple of people i knew. They liked them a lot and its motivated me.

So now i'm back from my work room where i did a few things that i'd started and hadn't done much on for a bit. So that's good. Unfortunately the light up there is not good enough to do some jobs. Nevermind.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:12 AM   #14
Pattience

A pretty good day all around, although i didn't get up very early. Its been raining which is great for my garden. total calories for the day are 25 over the limit at 1675, plus a few more no doubt for the tomato sauce.

Breakfast:
cornflakes as usual

Lunch:
1 vegetable pastie (about 383 calories it think)
2tbsp tomato sauce (which i forgot to factor into MFP)
1 canele

Dinner:
1.5 cups chopped carambola (fresh fruit)
1/2 cup french style green bean salad (recipe below
spaghetti with mushroom and ricotta cheese

Coffee throughout the day.

I cut six patterns today and hope to sew some of them up tonight. Making real progress at last!

Green Bean and tomato salad
248 calories total or 62 per serve. 1/2 cup equals one serve

Approx 1.5 cups green beans, topped and tailed and cooked
1 tomato diced
2tbsp finely diced onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar

Chop the beans roughly after cooking into about 1 inch lengths. Add all the other ingredients.

Spaghetti with mushrooms and ricotta cheese
643 calories

100g spaghetti.

1 medium mushroom sliced
1 clove garlic
2 tsp butter
1 tbsp parsley
1/5 cup ricotta cheese

Saute mushroom and garlic on low heat in the butter.
Add the parsley when its done. Turn stove off until the pasta is ready to avoid overcooking. Add the ricotta last to just warm up before adding to the pasta. Stir through the pasta whilst on low heat.

Last edited by Pattience : 01-14-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #15
Pattience

I haven't put my food into the MFP machine yet but i might get to it in a bit.

Here's food today.

Breakfast:
cornflakes and coffee as usual

I got up late. Tomorrow will have to be earlier because i'm going to work. Groan!

I started work on my sewing at midday and had lunch at about 2pm as follows
Open sandwich with 1/4 cup ricotta and salad. (see below)
1/4 cup of french green bean salad on the side.

A bowl of fruit salad containing:
1 carambola (homegrown)
1 banana
1/4 pomegranate (homegrown)
5 walnut halves.

Back to work until about 4.30. Dithered in the garden, found that parasitic vine had come back so i had to do that weeding job. Found a duck sitting on eggs so i had to steal them. Poor girl. They hate it but its less cruel than killing all the babies. Meanwhile i also had a terrible feeling that Bertie my drake has been stolen. I am disinclined to think a snake has taken him because he's so large and has survived all the snakes for a few years now. There are two patches of feathers on the ground. I suspect someone who lives in this suburb. Not long ago, i met this guy and he was asking about all the animals in the area. Unfortunatley i don't know which house he lives in but i really should track him down and try and get a look in his back yard to see if my Bertie and another missing duck or two are not there.

In the sewing room, i figured out how to resize my patterns and made two. Though i've used up all my spare fabric and haven't got anything to make up a dummy version in. I had wanted to do it today so i could get the girls at work to try them on for size. Oh dammit, that's right i have my old sheet which has holes in it. I will go and do it after this if i'm not too exhausted then. It would be much more efficient if i could achieve this plan.

Dinner:
1 cup roast pumpkin soup
Fried rice with salmon. (See recipe below.)
1 small orange

coffee all day.

Open sandwich w ricotta, salad,

2 slices wholegrain toast
1 tsp unnecessary butter
1/4 cup ricotta
2 slices tomato
3 slices cucumber
1/2 cup mixed green leaves
pepper and salt
half a lime (that i found on the bench, left there by dad, and given to us with a big bag from a neighbour.

Fried rice made with smoked salmon

1 cup leftover cooked basmati rice
46g hot smoked salmon, crumbled
1 smallish onion
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp parsley (from the garden)
2 tsp olive oil
few drops of sesame oil
A decent squirt of light soy sauce
pepper

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil (though peanut oil is preferable for fried rice,) on the lowest possible heat, don’t burn. With so little oil, its too easy to burn the onion. While doing that, combine the rice, salmon and parsley, in a bowl. When the onion is cooked, add the rice combo to the wok with a dash of sesame oil. Grind over some black pepper. When its all heated through, add the soy sauce. Overdoing this bit can ruin it so less is best.

If i was making this without the salmon, i'd add an egg or two instead, made into an omelette and chopped. I"d also add more veggies but this dish was about the salmon tonight.

I've notched up 1640 calories today but i am not super confident i did it correctly. I don't weigh everything and the gadget doesn't use the same measuring tools i do. e.g. they use grams and i use cups and i don't know how much a cup of this or that weighs. So i guess. So my calculations could be off but i hardly think its enough to make me cry or consider my diet busted. I mean its not a magnum or a block of chocolate.

Last edited by Pattience : 01-15-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.