What Are You Reading Jan 2014?

You're on Page 3 of 5
Go to
  • Quote: See, it wasn't disappointment on how the story progressed for me. I just thought that the writer could do so much better. As I said, she just started telling the story instead of describing what was going on, like she did in the first two books. I feel like she rushed the release of Allegiant.
    I felt like the details were rushed too, even though I did like her twist. It was hard at times to visualize it all when it is usually effortless.
  • I am reading The Goldfinch; just finished And the Mountains Echoed.
  • The Fault in Our Stars was so, so good.

I write/edit reference books for a living, and I just handed in the final draft of my latest one on Thursday, so I haven't read anything in a month or so.

However, next up for me is Wally Lamb's newest, We Are Water. He's from my hometown!!!

I also want to read the books I haven't read in this Buzzfeed article.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalde...this-year?bffb
  • Quote: I am reading The Goldfinch; just finished And the Mountains Echoed.
    Oh man, I loved And the Mountains Echoed, too. I have The Goldfinch in my Kindle -- it was $1.99 one day on Amazon.
  • Currently reading Moranthology by Caitlin Moran. It's a collection of her articles which are all hilarious. Also just finished Pushkin's The Captains Daughter and Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding. Highly recommend that one! Personally preferred it to the first Bridget Jones
  • Just finished, the original, "Bram Stokers Dracula".

I've been reading, old classics, free on my tablet.
  • I just burned through Eleanor and Park, by Rainbow Rowell. It was decent, but not as good as I had hoped it would be.
  • Erm, I've been getting through a book and a bit each day for the last couple months. I guess I read 'The Happiness Advantage' (Shawn Anchor) today and will probably finish Gladwell's 'David and Goliath' before I go to sleep...

This thread could become dangerous for me
  • Getting ready to start my 6th book this month. Sirensong is the third book in a really good series. I'm really into YA books about fairies.
  • Quote: I'm finishing up Son by Lois Lowry. This is the 4th and final book in her series that started with The Giver almost 20 years ago. Loving it.

Also just began Vol. 1 of The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire by John Toland. My dad snagged these out of print copies and let me borrow them.
    Woah! I loved The Giver in school, I had no idea there was more. I will have to find those!
  • On the list of books to movies that has been posted I have read around 4 of them. I seriously recommend Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand from the list. This is such an amazing story and after I was done I couldn't stop thinking about it. I read it when it first came out and am so happy to see it will be a movie, just hope it does it justice. Really so, so good.
  • I just read Fever, by Mary Beth Keane. It's about Mary Mallon ("Typhoid Mary"). Better than Eleanor and Park, but not as good as I had hoped.

I just started The Last Summer of the Camperdowns, and I'm not loving it. The language is a little too "LOOK AT ME"
  • right now I am reading 15 winter reads on my nook. Its 15 books in one from various authors. I love finding their bundles for .99 cents. I tend to read fast. The bundles are perfect for me. Right now I am on a fairy/angel/demon/werewolf/vampire/witch etc kick.
  • Quote: On the list of books to movies that has been posted I have read around 4 of them. I seriously recommend Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand from the list. This is such an amazing story and after I was done I couldn't stop thinking about it. I read it when it first came out and am so happy to see it will be a movie, just hope it does it justice. Really so, so good.
    This is the second recommendation I've had for "Unbroken" -- it's now officially on my list. Did you know the main character is still living? He's in his 90's now. I also want to read "Winter's Tale." The female character in the upcoming movie is the actress who played Sybil on Downton Abbey. Loved her!
  • I'm starting my seventh book for the month, Rot & Ruin. I've never really read any zombie books before, so this will be a new experience. I'm sure I'll like it though.