General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #1  

Default Sinus infection and abx

Since i'm prone to sinus infections i usually just sit there with them however after 2 months of pressure on either side of my forehead above my eyes, decided to ask the doc for abx. Zithro does nothing and really hurts my stomach (like i've been punched in the gut) so he has me on Cephalexin (10 days) which worked last time. Things get COMPLICATED because i have CFS/Fibromyalgia and i'm always "viral" ie flu like symptoms, URI symptoms that wax/wane, etc., those who have it know exactly what i'm talking about.

Anyway, the pressure went away almost immediately but halfway into the course of the abx i noticed that awful infected smell in my nose that i haven't had since probably the last time i had a cold which is in i don't know when, and also a snotty nose. Other than that, i'm not feeling that awful run down feeling that comes with for some reason, a sinus infection.

I'm wondering if i should ask for another course or if this is just a simple URI or a cold? Because ppl with CFS usually don't get colds or flu, they're just kind of constantly waxing and waning with a viral infection (which yes i know, abx would have no effect but it did seem that i had an actual sinus infection) I kind of don't understand the bacterial smell and snot nose that i developed. Any input?
Thanks!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't have much advice to offer but I feel your pain! I get sinus infections that are horrible and one even managed to infect the root of a perfectly good tooth, resulting in a root canal and crown sooo sorry you have to deal with a sinus thing
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Talking

Hi Reilly-

I, too, have Fibromyalgia and I am prone to sinus/nasal infections. I see an ear, nose and throat doctor (Otolaryngologist) and I see a doctor who specializes in allergies, lungs (pulmonologist) and the immune system (immunologist). I am the type of person who sees docs more often than not. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Be careful with taking a repeat course of antibiotics! I developed thrush in my mouth about five years ago, it is an infection in the mouth which is excruciatingly painful! Thrush can occur with repeat doses of antibiotics.

Good luck!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #4  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

I had chronic sinus infections for years. It seemed like about a month would go by after a round of antibiotics, and my infection would be back. I finally went to a Chinese herbalist who flat out told me that I had a serious milk allergy, and that I should not drink milk, and only consume aged or fermented dairy foods, and only rarely. He also told me to go to my GP and get a six-week course of antibiotics to totally knock out the bacteria that had colonized my sinuses. He also gave me an herbal blend to take sublingually to help ease the inflammation in my sinuses. I did all of that, and I have been sinus infection free for a long time. Unfortunately, I believe that all the antibiotics I took over several years messed with the bacterial balance in my digestive system, which has never really been the same.

I feel your pain, a sinus headache every single day is no fun. Now, if I get one from regular allergies, I heat up a small rice hull filled heat pad that has been imbued with eucalyptus and place it over the sinus area, and that tends to help.

Last edited by Quixotica; 11-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #5  

Thank you, everyone who weighed in.

Dr. decided to Rx a different abx and so far i think so good, time will tell.

Alaskanlaughter--i too have had a couple root canals with severe infection, sure hope it wasn't because of sinuses!

I do also do an herbal remedy which does help a lot, just have to take it a lot! I am allergic to dairy but wow that one's going to be hard to give up!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote