Spoken word

• So, I had a rough go of the public education system. At 26, I am trying to recover and learn that I am not confined to the titles bestowed upon me by "them"...
    Ogre
    Whale
    Beast
    Fat ***
    I'm working hard to create new definitions for myself, of my own creation. I will need to spend much more time convincing myself, tricking my mind into focusing on what beauty I can find, create, cling to. Turning down "their" noise and turning up my music, my original song.

I discovered this poem by Shane Koyczan, which moved me to tears. I just wanted to share it here for those of you that have been hurt and are trying to see yourself in a new light. Love and peace to you...
    http://tothisdayproject.com/the_poem.html
    (you can play the poem and read at the same time)
  • Hi Lecomtes-

Thank you so much for sharing that beautiful poem, it is very touching.

I'm sorry you had such a rough time in school. I had a horrific time in school. I only wish that more could be done to end this bullying.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Take care.
  • You're welcome and thank you! We made it! Fortunately I have had a much happier time as an adult. I hope that you have too. When I discovered this poem is being studied in some hs lit. classes it certainly gave me hope that with each passing generation improved consciousness will lead to healthier school hallways.
  • This was making the rounds on my Facebook amongst my highschool-age friends a while back. Still a lovely poem.
  • Lecomtes-

I hope that this poem will reach more people, its message is very important. I also hope that more will be done in schools about bullying, it is a horrible problem in society.

Take care.

Amy