Weight Discrimination at Work

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi everyone! I rarely post in here, but often read other peoples posts which tends to help me through this process.

I am posting today because I would love to hear others insight. I work for a large firm where my boss is a partner. He repeatedly made fun of my weight: telling me I eat too much, that there is no store in the entire country (we were in Asia) that would have any clothes to fit me, telling me I don't know anything etc. I reported him but my company did not really do anything. They said that they would "coach" him in the future and suggested that I get counseling. And then they said it was my responsibility to have said something sooner. I am just so frustrated and feel really defeated. Has anyone else dealt with something like this? Any anecdotes on how you dealt with this or words of support would be very appreciated.
  • i'm so sorry this is happening...while this hasn't happened to me, the best suggestion is to continue to talk to human resources. if you're in a unionized position, speak to the union representative. it's not your responsibility to do anything, it's his responsibility to be professional and to treat employees with respect.

ultimately, if your company continues to be unsupportive, you can always look for a new job.

good luck
  • I agree with fillupthesky....he clearly has some issues to be doing this to you. I would not engage in any small talk with him, that's for sure. Keep it to the absolute minimum. I'm so sorry you're going through it! Finally, just have a good life and don't let him get in the way of that...I usually give people with negative comments way too much power and then they win. Not anymore. I hope you will make yourself the priority and don't worry about what scum like that spews out of his mouth!
  • thanks for your responses! you are both right, he is in the wrong I should try to ignore him.

fillupthesky, I am not in a union. I reached out to HR and it actually made it worse. Once they talked to them he was even more of a jerk and then promoted all of the people at my level except for me even though I posted higher numbers than all of them. I think that is what really upsets me, that my company didn't care at all and let him get away with it.

But I really appreciate the kind words
  • One thing I wanted to add...it seems like whenever I try to lose weight, I face some unexpected major challenge. I end up caving much of the time and undoing all the progress. Well, I'm trying to look at those challenges as a test now and I try to find the strength to continue on and not let them derail my efforts.
  • they're probably not going to be aggressive with him because of his rank, which is super annoying.
    if you plan on staying at this job, just work hard, ignore him, and the right people will promote you.
    don't let this jerk get you down girl!
  • personally, that sounds like a company I wouldn't want to work for.

If I was in that situation I would find another job (and I did in March 2011) Because my principal at the school I worked at in China was completely inappropriate and did not like me at all, and it was obvious.

Now I work at a school where I am praised for my hard work and respected.

although for humour reasons a voodoo doll might help
  • Document everything. I would not stay at that place, since power seems to rest on him, your productivity and work quality will get you nowhere. Also, since it appears he has some deep issues with you he could try to interfere if he knows you're job hunting. So be careful in that regard, and it appears you won't be able to get recommendation letters from them. Go where your work will be valued. Your numbers were the best so it's their loss.
  • Wow, it sounds like HR is NOT doing their job. Why should you get counseling? Why should you be driven out of your job? I hate to say this but now that you've reported it and it's gotten worse it's sort of your responsibility to follow through with more action, only because even if you leave he'll do this to someone else. He gains more power by getting away with this and I couldn't let that happen.

I would document everything he says, and what you did about it. Make a chart that has the following things you can fill in:

Date
    Incident
    People involved
    Witnesses
    Your response
    HR's response
    Outcome

When you start showing things in writing people get scared because they know that you mean business. Your HR department has really dropped the ball here and you have a case for filing a lawsuit FOR SURE and I say that because HR actually made things worse for you, write it down! I would speak to a lawyer asap.

For people who are misogynists, for people who spew hatred there should be no remorse in my opinion. Because when it goes unchecked it gets worse. It's like the monster that when you chop off its head it grows back 2. You need to cauterize it.
  • Think, I can change my weight. But ugly inside is a lot harder to change.

I know this might be cold comfort but bullies are always usually miserable inside and they need to take it out on someone.

I don't know where I got this growing up but there was a bully who was also popular at our school around 5th grade. I knew I was a good person even then, all I did was try to help people. He decided to bully me. I remember one day telling him I don't care what other people think I know your an a** and always will be. In this case he left me alone after that.

Good luck. Use it as fuel if you can.
  • Quote: One thing I wanted to add...it seems like whenever I try to lose weight, I face some unexpected major challenge. I end up caving much of the time and undoing all the progress. Well, I'm trying to look at those challenges as a test now and I try to find the strength to continue on and not let them derail my efforts.
    This always seems to happen to me as well! It seems like whenever I feel ready to focus on "me" and getting myself healthy, it is a sure fire thing that something is going to go wrong. I know life will always have it's challenges, and that I have to learn to deal with them in ways other than stress or anxiety eating.

As far as the weight discrimination, what a horrible thing to be going through! I have not faced this myself in a work setting. I did notice that you say you are working in Asia. Do you have Asian coworkers? I went to Vietnam and Cambodia this spring, and felt more out of place and my weight weighed on me so heavily there. I really stuck out like a sore thumb. There were restaurants that I could not fit in the chairs, and several times random people would comment on my weight. Once I was in a cooking class, and the teacher singled me out and said, "You tell me if you like this. You fat, so you know good food." I was humiliated, and the other Westerners in the class were mortified.

I hope things get better for you soon.

Kenda
  • CALL A LAWYER AND GET OUT OF THAT JOB!

seriously that is harassment and in this day and age NOT ACCEPTABLE!! HE'S A BULLY!!

like the above said-write everything down
    contact a lawyer-what would it hurt...he could get you to get paid while looking for another job
  • I don't bother with HR or lawyers. When someone at work treats me like crap (yes, I have been called "fat" in the past too) I confront them myself. That always ends it. Most bullies don't expect to have their @ss handed to them.
  • ^ Amen. As the blunt of bullying in my youth, I see now that if I had just stood up for myself and had the confidence I should have, it would not have been as big of an issue as it was. Bullies thrive off those who do not stand up for themselves so they can dominate and feel superior. Confront him and tell him that kind of behavior is rude and that you're not going to listen to the insults.

What's the worst that could happen? It already seems that you need to find a new environment. No one deserves to be treated that way, and obviously at this point going further with HR is not helping. Maybe confide in a co-worker and do document these things.

Just keep up the good work and ignore him. There are people in the world who are just jerks.
  • I'd jab with the left and then come in with a big right. If he is still standing...left hook.