General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #1  

Default Too Much Iron?

Well a few weeks back I posted about how my weight loss was very hard lately and I thought something was wrong. It was. My iron was very high. The end of normal was 170 ul and mine was 225 ul.

In fact, all my labs came back messed up. My TSH was 2.0 (while not concerning that is double anything I have ever had before), my cortisol was 6 (low normal is 7) and the corresponding ACTH was also low.. (which should be inverse to the cortisol) meaning the pituitary is not exactly working like gangbusters. The pituitary can be effected by too much iron.

I was taking a flintstones vitamin with Iron in it.. but, it only had the daily value of iron. 15 mg. So I really didn't think it could be harmful.

Has anyone else had an issue like this with only mild supplementation?

I would tell you what my doctor had to say but she hasn't responded yet. Thank god for google.
Emma4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 246/233/135

Height: 5'1

My Iron levels just came back on the high side, and I have more lab work to see what is causing it. I know it is not supplements because I do not take any and I doubt my diet is too high in iron. So it is a mystery for me as of now till the other labs get done and I sit down with my doctor. Did you ever find out what was causing yours??
Keywis25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hi there,

I actually have struggled with the opposite problem for quite a few years, I am iron deficient anemic. I see a hematologist who specializes in blood disorders and that has helped me a lot. From what I have understood, iron rich foods can contribute some to an iron blood level count but I have heard that foods don't contribute as much as medications.

Good luck.

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote