General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

Wink any tips for after workout soreness?

well after a good workout my whole body hurts!!! in a good way.
the only down side is sometimes its too sore to workout the next day.

is there anything i could be doing to help it? anything im not doing that i should be? thank you.
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #2  

probably ended up in the wrong category, sorry lol
Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I drink lots of extra water, and ginger tea. Sometimes I eat ginger,too.

Try a bath with a good amount of Epsom salts - about 2 cups.

I think arnica pills and gel help, too.

Good luck!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #4  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Actually, you shouldn't workout the next day, but should rest for a day between workouts. Alternatively, if you want to work out every day, then do an upper body workout one day and a lower body workout the next. That way, each part of your body still has a rest/recovery day in between.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Actually, you shouldn't workout the next day, but should rest for a day between workouts. Alternatively, if you want to work out every day, then do an upper body workout one day and a lower body workout the next. That way, each part of your body still has a rest/recovery day in between.
i was doing that before but i thought getting in more exercise during the week would be good...but you're right, im hoping i'll feel 100% tomorrow.

thanks!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5'3.5"

I have experienced intense muscle soreness lately and got great tips from mountain hikers. You have to keep moving the mucles that are sore. Only, you need to do it lightly.

For example, after a seven hour hike, I did 30 minutes of light intensity elliptical and felt so much better afterwards. I repeated the process for three days in a row and each time, I could feel my muscles getting more relaxed after the workout. I could have cycled or walked, but it needs to be gentle exercise.

You probably feel muscle soreness the worst when you wake up or after sitting down. This is a subtle cue that moving as little as possible for fear of pain will only delay your recovery.

Massage or ice/heat therapy help too.

Last edited by Matisse; 08-27-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Matisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matisse View Post
I have experienced intense muscle soreness lately and got great tips from mountain hikers. You have to keep moving the mucles that are sore. Only, you need to do it lightly.

For example, after a seven hour hike, I did 30 minutes of light intensity elliptical and felt so much better afterwards. I repeated the process for three days in a row and each time, I could feel my muscles getting more relaxed after the workout. I could have cycled or walked, but it needs to be gentle exercise.

You probably feel muscle soreness the worst when you wake up or after sitting down. This is a subtle cue that moving as little as possible for fear of pain will only delay your recovery.

Massage or ice/heat therapy help too.
Great tips, I have been moving around today, nothing intense but just general movement and I feel better than when I woke up. Thank you.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #8  
just do it :)

S/C/G: ticker!

Height: 5'6

I agree with gently exercising the muscles that are sore, but also for me what helps a lot is to drink a protein shake after I work out. Even if it's just a glass of chocolate milk, it really helps my muscles repair so my body recovers much faster.
lanabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Magnesium supplements and a hot bath with dead sea and epsom salt. For aches (e.g. knee or lower back) I use a warming massage wax (do not use this after a hot bath!).
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabug View Post
I agree with gently exercising the muscles that are sore, but also for me what helps a lot is to drink a protein shake after I work out. Even if it's just a glass of chocolate milk, it really helps my muscles repair so my body recovers much faster.

i'll try that! thank you
Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

Although I've never done it, I've heard great things about foam rollers. I'd like to get one eventually they're just really expensive here.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Foam rollers are fabulous! Used to use it at my friend's house when we worked out together back home. I really need to buy one.

I also do Epson salt baths and they even have the ones with essential oils now.

I work out every day but do not do the same body parts. I also do at least 30 minutes of cardio every day, so I stay moving. My muscle soreness is pretty rough today, but I love it! LOL!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #13  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

I thought muscle soreness was a bad thing
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 208/152/132

Height: 5'3"

I have the best luck with tons of water, plenty of sleep, and like others said, continuing motion. You cannot exercise constantly so even if another exercise session isn't called for, just keeping your body in motion. For example, after a strenuous gym workout I feel better the next day if after my workout I went home and did things like cleaning, cooking, etc. than I do if I just crashed in front of the TV.
20lbtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletDolphin83 View Post
I thought muscle soreness was a bad thing
muscle soreness is actually a really good sign, it means you worked out your muscles enough to cause micro-tears. It is the body healing the micro-tears that make the muscle stronger.

To get rid of soreness stretching and light cardio is wonderful. You basically want to pump oxygenated blood to the muscle to clear out the lactic acid causing the sensation. The lactic acid is the chemical that is left when the muscle heals itself.

To help prevent soreness stretch before and after your workout. You can also get BCAA with Glutamine. BCAA is Base Chain Amino Acids and contain all the amino acids the body uses to build muscles while glutamine somehow prevents soreness. I have no idea how but it seems to really really work for me.

Even if you aren't sore the next day due to prevention, give your body a day to heal from any strength workout before working out the same muscle group again. Remember, it is the healing, not the actual workout, that causes the results you want. If you don't let it happen you won't see results and you will likely injure yourself and further set back progress.

Edit: Also remember to eat plenty of protein as a general rule, workouts or no workouts, to help prevent your body burning muscle instead of fat

Last edited by pnkrckpixikat; 08-29-2013 at 02:41 PM.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote