3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   The science of weightloss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/286636-science-weightloss.html)

ImImportant 08-23-2013 06:29 AM

The science of weightloss

I have been watching lots of weightloss documentaries and while some were informative, they just didn't connect. This one did. It gives everything, scientific studies, before and after MRI of internal fat and follows one person throughout. It is worth a watch. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClU49...e_gdata_player

Stay Puft 08-23-2013 07:09 PM

I have actually watched it before as I've become somewhat of a British diet show YouTube addict. My favorite being Secret Eaters. I actually watch diet shows to keep from snacking. Still, I watched the one you linked again since it had been a while.

I enjoy the bits of information that shows like this give. But I'm always left with questions that I wish they had answered. For example, I found it fascinating to watch the water just rush from the stomach after drinking, showing that drinking water before the meal didn't help fill people up. But I wondered if drinking after the meal would have the same effect as soup. Since the water would mix with the food and I think the stomach couldn't just release the water without releasing the food would it help make you fuller?

FatSass 08-24-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stay Puft (Post 4823693)

I enjoy the bits of information that shows like this give. But I'm always left with questions that I wish they had answered. For example, I found it fascinating to watch the water just rush from the stomach after drinking, showing that drinking water before the meal didn't help fill people up. But I wondered if drinking after the meal would have the same effect as soup. Since the water would mix with the food and I think the stomach couldn't just release the water without releasing the food would it help make you fuller?

It might slow it down a bit, but I don't think by much. I always drink a lot of water after meals at big family gatherings to keep myself occupied while waiting for everyone to finish (so that I won't get up for seconds...and thirds...and...well, y'know) and without fail I'll have to pee at least twice before dinner is over.

Stay Puft 08-24-2013 08:27 AM

Drats! There went that dream. Thankfully I like and already eat some soup. I just can't see myself having it at every meal. Maybe it'll be for days I feel I'm struggling a bit.

Zeitgeist 08-24-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stay Puft (Post 4823693)
For example, I found it fascinating to watch the water just rush from the stomach after drinking, showing that drinking water before the meal didn't help fill people up. But I wondered if drinking after the meal would have the same effect as soup. Since the water would mix with the food and I think the stomach couldn't just release the water without releasing the food would it help make you fuller?

No, the pyloric valve prevents the scenario that you described (water pushing recently consumed food out of the stomach). It slowly allows food into your intestines (and also prevents bile from backing up into your stomach). Now, in my case, as I've had a gastric bypass, I no longer have the pyloric valve function (it was bypassed), and drinking will push food out of my stomach. As a result, it is recommended that I wait 30-60 minutes after eating to drink, in order to maintain satiety.

AwShucks 08-24-2013 12:55 PM

Very interesting! Thanks for posting the link. I'll be eating a lot more soup now, I think.

Palestrina 08-25-2013 08:35 AM

Haha I just watched an episode of Secret Eaters and it was funny.