3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > General chatter

General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Breaking bad news to an old friend that didn't go well

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
N00B
 
Katzepatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cardboard box in PA - not homeless, I've just spent half my life moving and I get uncomfortable when I don't move and I'm feeling the itch.
Posts: 29

S/C/G: 193/181/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Breaking bad news to an old friend that didn't go well

I've been feeling so awful for about a week. I know I'm new and haven't really gotten to talk much so I'll sort be spilling a bit and ranting as well.

I returned to college last fall and have been struggling, everything gets paid but I really don't have a lot left over. My job goes through seasonal highs and lows so they cut hours over the summer while things slowed down. My oldest friend (we met in kindergarten) got engaged in May set her wedding for 4 months later, for September. She just relocated to South Carolina from Pennsylvania but instead of coming back here to get married she is having her wedding down south (in Hilton Head) and asked everyone (her family and his) to travel down to it. I should mention this is her second wedding - I already was in her first one 5 years ago.

I accepted the invite right away and to make room in my budget, I didn't take summer classes and switched schools for fall and have been doing hair at home to bring in some extra cash. I was originally thinking of moving the same month but extended my lease so I could save for this instead. I was planning on driving down since flights were way too much for my boyfriend and I to afford. I just took my car in to see what it needs to be road worthy and turns out I need more work then I thought (it was inspected without problems in June). As I need to get to work, I don't have a choice but to fix it however, all my extra money is going into it and I now don't have enough to go to the wedding.

I was incredibly upset at having to back out and fearing that I wouldn't do it, my boyfriend broke the news to my friend who proceed to flip out at me. She insisted that I borrow someones car because she already gave her counts to the caterer. I tried to tell her everything that happened, apologize that he jumped the gun because I was upset, and silence - she stopped responding.

Yesterday, she bombarded me about being spiteful she was getting married (I've never been married), insinuating I was lieing and I lost it, I got so angry. She makes considerably more money then me and I don't feel she understands what living with my income is like and how much I did have to give up to try affording the trip in the first place. I don't complained to her about my financial issues - I chose to drop out of school in the first place to go have crazy life experiences while she tolled away to a double masters, so I live with a lot less and I accept that. That's why I'm trying to finish my degree - you can't be 20 forever.

I guess I'm looking for any insight - really, I'm in uncharted waters. She is the first of my friends to be re-marrying and she's a very type A person. We've been friends for 24 years so I don't think this will end it, I just don't know if she's looking at the situation from Bride eyes or if there is more to it.
Katzepatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Lifelong Alaskan!
 
alaskanlaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Posts: 2,640

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

if it was me, i'd just give her time and space to get over it and get on with things....not buy into the drama causing by her anger at you...etc...which is easier said than done...but I think a lot of it is bride-related anyhow unless she has behaved like this in the past
__________________
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
~Tori~
 
cheeriloos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East coast of Florida
Posts: 784

S/C/G: 250/224.2/150

Height: 5'4

Default

She will get over it! A few of my family and friends couldn't make it to my wedding and accepted the invite then for a month before just didn't answer calls, emails nothing, its been some time and im over it. I Dont hoped it against my best friend who lies in another state and couldn't afford to come.. still sad but I still love her. The number one thing to remember is a bride is like a pressure cooker there is an ungodly amount of stress in planning a wedding, so your job is to keep your friendship whether you go or not, let her be angry let her vent and just apologize because a soft answer turneth away wrath.. meaning if you Dont respond to her anger with anger just be humble no matter what, eventually she will see your view. For that you might have to swallow your pride when she talks to you but it will only be temporary, many people refuse to dohat and end up saying things they regret. Be patient you are doing your best but right now she is too stressed to think rationally. I'm sure she still loves you,p.s. get a second opinion on yourcar and find a mechanic who works on the side,i have kept my cars on the road for years this way where if I took them to an actual shop I would have no car because of the price and extra things they say are wrong which aren't! ( That is a real common thing for auto shops)Good luck
cheeriloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bellamack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,809

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

People who have Money, NEVER understand when someone doesn't have it!

I commend you for not going into extra debt to go to a SECOND wedding. We, as Americans spend way more than we should for the most part, this causes stress, bankrupcy, etc. You can only do what you can do. Don't lose sleep over it.
__________________
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Dropweight Diva
 
Song of Surly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 304

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default

I don't really buy into the whole concept that, just because you're a bride, you have some excuse in treating people however you want because of your stress levels. Not all brides act like a lunatic while they're wedding planning, and I've always thought the whole bridezilla concept to be a little silly. I teach for a living, and there's an awful lot of stress and hours that goes into planning and managing a classroom every day. I don't think people should excuse my behavior, however, if I am a jerk to them because of that stress. If I lash out while I am stressed, that is a problem with me, and I have done something wrong and should apologize. It may be the reason I lashed out, but excuses are excuses. The same is for any other person who is experiencing stress.

So, with that, your friend was not being very kind to you in this aspect. It's very selfish to ask anyone to go without or have serious monetary consequences because of a party celebrating themselves. It's even more selfish to then lash out at the other person and tell them that they are a jealous liar. As others have said, I would give her the time now to perhaps put all of this in perspective, which may currently be skewed by the absolutely ridiculous wedding culture we have acquired. I would not, however, be kissing her a** to apologize at this point. You've already tried to do so much to be able to go to this wedding (not taking classes, not moving), and it is obvious that you are a good friend. She is the one not being a very good friend right now.
__________________


Mini-Goal #1: 220 - Achieved 09.17.12
Mini-Goal #2: 210 - Achieved 01.03.13
Mini-Goal #3: Onederland!! - Achieved 03.26.13
Mini-Goal #4: 189 - Achieved 07.25.13
Mini-Goal #5: 179
Mini-Goal #6: 169

Last edited by Song of Surly : 08-17-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Enjoying la bella vita
 
nationalparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,642

S/C/G: 179/166/150

Height: 5-4

Default

Leave it be - if she's that "close" to you to be asking you to her wedding, she is close enough to understand your financial situation. SO one more meal is counted to the caterer. Big deal - that's part of it. A bride makes her own stress and as the poster above aptly points out, there are TONS of actual jobs out there with way more stress and you don't treat folks like crap.

You have gone through way more to try to make it work out financially for you than most anyone else would do. Either she values your friendship or not. And now it's also your turn to think about how much - not how long - she has been your friend and how this behavior stacks up. Obviously it's something that is bothering you. rightly so.
__________________
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
GlamourGirl827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Under the Sea
Posts: 1,777

S/C/G: New Baby/Ticker/Half Marathon

Height: 5' 6" on a good day

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
People who have Money, NEVER understand when someone doesn't have it!

I commend you for not going into extra debt to go to a SECOND wedding. We, as Americans spend way more than we should for the most part, this causes stress, bankrupcy, etc. You can only do what you can do. Don't lose sleep over it.
I second this. Especially people with money never understanding when someone doesn't.
__________________



2007- 230 lbs to 160 lbs after baby #1 Boy
2010- 220 lbs to 145 lbs after baby #2 Boy
2013 - 215 lbs to 157 lbs after baby #3 Boy
Baby #4 - It's a Girl! born 3-19-15

~Done having babies and losing for the last time~
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
PatLib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 380

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Default

I am not sure what to make of this situation but for the most part I think what brides ask bridesmaids to do for their wedding is ridiculous.

My sister paid for her bridesmaids dresses and she tried to pick a destination that could be both a vacation for her guests but still price conscious. I think more brides should do this, asking someone to go to some remote place or a place that is overly expensive is just plain selfish.

But on another note, your friend may think that you are judging her for having a second wedding. I use to work at a department store and register couples and brides who are getting married a second time are very self-conscious about their second weddings and feel like people are judging them for spending money on a second wedding. Perhaps when the dust has settled you could ease her mind on that front?
__________________
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
MF 3/31/13
 
SuperHeroTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 925

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
People who have Money, NEVER understand when someone doesn't have it!

I commend you for not going into extra debt to go to a SECOND wedding. We, as Americans spend way more than we should for the most part, this causes stress, bankrupcy, etc. You can only do what you can do. Don't lose sleep over it.
^^^this.

Also, does any one else see the irony that the bride is pissed because she "gave her counts to the caterer"? So let me get ths straight, it's okay for her to be mad that she's out a couple hundred dollars for dinner, but she doesn't feel bad about asking you to spend potentially more that $1000 for gas, car rental, hotel room, dress, gift, etc.?

Give her some Time. When she gets over her wedding narcissism she'll be back if she really is a good friend, if not then I guess your friendship isn't as strong as you thought it was.
__________________
Every day is a battle, but whatever, I'm scrappy ~Darcey

Each = 5 lbs gone for good!

SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #10
Jillian stole my abs!
 
shcirerf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Go Huskers!
Posts: 2,488

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Default

It's a second wedding! Whoop dee doo!

She has now invited you into her drama, an invitation you are not obligated to accept!

So the caterer has a count that is one off. Seriously! What if someone who was going to attend gets up that morning and is sick as all get out with the back door trots, and to ill to call and cancel?

Granted I'm probably old enough to be the brides mother, but really!

A first wedding is one thing, I get the bridezilla thing, but a second, not so much.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Life happens. Maybe she will come around later, maybe she won't. If she does and apologizes, carry on, if she doesn't you probably should move on.

People come and go in our lives for different reasons, and we would be wise to accept the lessons learned.
__________________

3+ year maintainer.
The human body is capable of amazing things! But without the mind, it is nothing. Get your mind in gear and the body will follow!

Be selfish about caring for yourself, you deserve it!
Weight Watcher leader! But always a Member first!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Palestrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,879

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
People who have Money, NEVER understand when someone doesn't have it!

I commend you for not going into extra debt to go to a SECOND wedding. We, as Americans spend way more than we should for the most part, this causes stress, bankrupcy, etc. You can only do what you can do. Don't lose sleep over it.
Well that's wildly unfair to say that people with money NEVER understand. I've had money for things when my friend couldn't afford something and I've "understood" and then there were times when I couldn't afford something and my friends have "understood."

A person should be allowed to be married, just because a person is getting married for a second time doesn't mean that they shouldn't celebrate that day, and it doesn't mean that they shouldn't include anyone.

That said, I don't think your friend is being very fair to you. I lost my best friend since elementary school because I couldn't afford her wedding. I did go, but I lived in an entirely different state and was really worried the whole time that I coudln't afford the dress, shoes, gift, travel time, etc. It ended up costing me a lot. Finally on the day of the wedding she demoted me from Maid of Honor because she said I wasn't "there for her" (I was working in a different state!!) and after the wedding her new husband called to tell me that she never wanted to speak to me ever again because my dress was wrinkled and I ruined all her wedding photos. That was harsh, I'll never understand why she was so angry with me, I couldn't make the money grow out of my butt but I was THERE! and I was on the phone with her on a daily basis talking about HER HER HER for months! Now I don't miss her at all, it's been 16yrs since her wedding.

I would suggest talking to your friend calmly about your concerns, and try not to worry about what you can't do. If she loves you she'll understand. But chances are she's not thinking about you at all. It's horrible that she said she already gave a count to the caterer. In that case, just send her a gift and be done with her.
__________________


"No matter how developed you are in any other area of your life, no matter what you say you believe, no matter how sophisticated or enlightened you think you are, how you eat tells all." - Geneen Roth
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Palestrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,879

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
People who have Money, NEVER understand when someone doesn't have it!

I commend you for not going into extra debt to go to a SECOND wedding. We, as Americans spend way more than we should for the most part, this causes stress, bankrupcy, etc. You can only do what you can do. Don't lose sleep over it.
Well that's wildly unfair to say that people with money NEVER understand. I've had money for things when my friend couldn't afford something and I've "understood" and then there were times when I couldn't afford something and my friends have "understood."

A person should be allowed to be married, just because a person is getting married for a second time doesn't mean that they shouldn't celebrate that day, and it doesn't mean that they shouldn't include anyone.

That said, I don't think your friend is being very fair to you. I lost my best friend since elementary school because I couldn't afford her wedding. I did go, but I lived in an entirely different state and was really worried the whole time that I coudln't afford the dress, shoes, gift, travel time, etc. It ended up costing me a lot. Finally on the day of the wedding she demoted me from Maid of Honor because she said I wasn't "there for her" (I was working in a different state!!) and after the wedding her new husband called to tell me that she never wanted to speak to me ever again because my dress was wrinkled and I ruined all her wedding photos. That was harsh, I'll never understand why she was so angry with me, I couldn't make the money grow out of my butt but I was THERE! and I was on the phone with her on a daily basis talking about HER HER HER for months! Now I don't miss her at all, it's been 16yrs since her wedding.

I would suggest talking to your friend calmly about your concerns, and try not to worry about what you can't do. If she loves you she'll understand. But chances are she's not thinking about you at all. It's horrible that she said she already gave a count to the caterer. In that case, just send her a gift and be done with her.
__________________


"No matter how developed you are in any other area of your life, no matter what you say you believe, no matter how sophisticated or enlightened you think you are, how you eat tells all." - Geneen Roth
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Vex
There is no try.
 
Vex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,242

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

It boggles me why brides have weddings in places so far away from everyone and then expect everyone to just pay for everything to get there. It's pretty rude imo.

If you're going to have a wedding at a far away location, make it extremely small and offer to pay for each guests expenses. If you can't do that, don't have it so far away!

There's probably nothing else you can do at this point. I can understand why she may be upset since you're backing out and didn't say no at the beginning. She seems to be over blowing that though. All you can do is apologize and hope that eventually she understands....
__________________
.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
BreathingSpace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 506

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of Surly View Post
I don't really buy into the whole concept that, just because you're a bride, you have some excuse in treating people however you want because of your stress levels. Not all brides act like a lunatic while they're wedding planning, and I've always thought the whole bridezilla concept to be a little silly. I teach for a living, and there's an awful lot of stress and hours that goes into planning and managing a classroom every day. I don't think people should excuse my behavior, however, if I am a jerk to them because of that stress. If I lash out while I am stressed, that is a problem with me, and I have done something wrong and should apologize. It may be the reason I lashed out, but excuses are excuses. The same is for any other person who is experiencing stress.

So, with that, your friend was not being very kind to you in this aspect. It's very selfish to ask anyone to go without or have serious monetary consequences because of a party celebrating themselves. It's even more selfish to then lash out at the other person and tell them that they are a jealous liar. As others have said, I would give her the time now to perhaps put all of this in perspective, which may currently be skewed by the absolutely ridiculous wedding culture we have acquired. I would not, however, be kissing her a** to apologize at this point. You've already tried to do so much to be able to go to this wedding (not taking classes, not moving), and it is obvious that you are a good friend. She is the one not being a very good friend right now.
^This. Exactly. Wow, great response!

And I also second being against the concept of being excused of treating people like crap because you are "stressed". Being stressed is a REASON, not an excuse, and it's up to that person to grow up, be a good human, and apologize for being an a**hole due to their stress levels.
__________________
"There is simply no way for the scale to accurately measure the most beautiful part of your spirit".

Check out my BLOG here for weight loss woes, yoga and life!


Last edited by BreathingSpace : 08-18-2013 at 02:59 PM.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the great USA :)
Posts: 2,093

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Default

Hey Katzepatra-

I am sorry that you are going through all of this, clearly your heart is in the right place. Some people aren't that understanding, and that is upsetting. I couldn't make a family's wedding which was abroad because I was not medically healthy at the time and I felt guilty but I knew about the wedding after the fact. What I'm saying is that things come up and this is not a perfect, idyllic world that we live in. It is a shame that people can't be more understanding. I have been to a wedding where it was a a real pain in the neck to get to, I am glad that I could make it but I almost didn't because of the location.

You seem like a great, caring person. Don't let her get you all upset, it's not worth it. I hope you both can remain friends, time and circumstances will show true colors.

Take care!!!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
300+ And Ready To Try Again....#1060 thinthinker 300+ Club 48 11-14-2006 07:01 PM
300+ And Ready to Try Again...#917 AmmiUK 300+ Club 35 05-27-2006 12:15 AM
300+ And Ready To Try Again...#811 dogpal 300+ Club 37 01-23-2006 01:44 AM
300+ and Ready To Try Again...#774 AmmiUK 300+ Club 33 10-24-2005 03:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2