General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Question When they make angora rabbit clothes do they kill it?

I bought this REALLY cute top at a thrift store that fits and everything that is made of angora rabbit and its pink and is so me! But.... I have a pet rabbit-not angora but a rabbit. So my question is.... did they kill the rabbit to make it? Cause that'll make me feel bad.

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 08-03-2013 at 04:56 PM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This Wikipedia page should help you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angora_wool

You could also look into rabbits and animal cruelty because it is often worse when they aren't killed as animals aren't always treated well. I also can't imagine having the fur plucked from a rabbit is pleasant for them.

I personally don't buy animal products for clothing because animals are either killed or abused. A thrift store purchase may be slightly different as it isn't first hand consumerism but that is up to you.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #3  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

I have a couple of house bunnies; one is an adorable little lionhead that looks like a fluffy cotton ball. He regularly needs combing and plucking. The fiesty little guy definitely doesn't mind it or he would let me know! Plucking is just pulling out the loose hair from the rest and has to be done gently by holding the fur against the skin as rabbits have very delicate skin that tears easily. My bunny dozes while I pluck him.

If the loose hair isn't removed from angora-type rabbits, they'd mat and tangle and be very miserable. Might as well enjoy the end product!

Last edited by Cattails; 08-03-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #4  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgirl69 View Post
I bought this REALLY cute top at a thrift store that fits and everything that is made of angora rabbit and its pink and is so me! But.... I have a pet rabbit-not angora but a rabbit. So my question is.... did they kill the rabbit to make it? Cause that'll make me feel bad.
I would recommend you look a bit further than Wiki about Angoras.

The rabbits are domesticated and have been bred specifically for their coats and their temperament. They are much calmer than your average rabbit, in fact some people actually spin the fur directly off the rabbit.

For future reference, the only time an animal is killed for its coat is when the skin is also used, as in fur coats (mink, fox, chinchilla, etc.). Otherwise, animals are generally sheared (sheep, llamas, alpacas, etc.). Angoras can be plucked but for commercial operations shearing would be faster. If you're worried about the plucking hurting the rabbits, don't. The coat is "harvested" when it's ready and needs to be taken off. Just YouTube it if you don't believe me.

Oh, you also want to look up proper care of an angora garment. It's kind of delicate.

Last edited by ReNew Me; 08-03-2013 at 05:16 PM.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

I think I'm gonna keep it. Thanks guys! It's such a cute top!

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 08-03-2013 at 05:16 PM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #6  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

No! They don't harm the rabbit. As a spinner, I know quite a bit about fiber and it's sources. And the rabbits DO enjoy the removal. I've rarely seen an angora struggle during clipping or plucking. Angora's often suffer from wool balls (like a hairball in a cat, only even more potentially fatal in rabbits.) and they MUST for their health, have their coat removed. I'm not saying rabbits don't ever get abused, just that in general, no they aren't harmed.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote