3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   What are your Reading-Aug 2013 Edition (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/285633-what-your-reading-aug-2013-edition.html)

Smiling_Sara 08-01-2013 10:07 AM

What are your Reading-Aug 2013 Edition

New month everyone! Please share what you are reading this month.

I am just finishing up Heart of the Matter by Emily Griffin. Next up I think I will go into her next book Where We Belong.

Eva03 08-01-2013 10:33 AM

Ooh, love this thread! I just finished rereading In The Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez. First read it when I was fourteen... I'm nearly 23 now and it's been one of my favorites for all the years in between. It's a beautifully, beautifully-told story (historical fiction) of the Mirabal sisters, who opposed the dictatorship of Trujillo in the Dominican Republic during the 1940's and 50's. Absolutely gorgeous and moving. Highly recommend!!

Nienna86 08-01-2013 11:15 AM

A week or so ago, I had a dream that I was Harry Potter, fighting Voldemort in an underground railway station. I was extremely disappointed to wake up and find that I am not, in fact, Harry Potter, so naturally I decided to reread the series. At least I can live vicariously through all of the cool characters!

I'm also reading House of Leaves, but I'm not very far along.

lollerskates 08-01-2013 11:45 AM

I just started reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green after my sister recommended it. It is really easy to read and engaging--I'm never quite sure what is going to happen next, and I can be crying one page and laughing out loud 4 pages later. Also, it's written from the point of view of a teenage girl and it is Spot. On. I feel like most writers of young adult fiction rely on stereotypes of "oh, this is a teenager, so she is .... angsty? And likes boys?" The main character really feels like a person, and I often find myself nodding my head at her choices.

Haha, so yeah, in case you couldn't tell, I'm totally hooked. :)

TheSecondHalf 08-01-2013 11:51 AM

I don't know anyone who has made it through House of Leaves. I just didn't get it. Good luck!

My pile of books is extra tall this month. I guess all my library holds came it at once. I'm currently reading The Execution of Noa P. Singleton.

In The Time of Butterflies was really moving.

Smiling_Sara 08-03-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lollerskates (Post 4805859)
I just started reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green after my sister recommended it. It is really easy to read and engaging--I'm never quite sure what is going to happen next, and I can be crying one page and laughing out loud 4 pages later. Also, it's written from the point of view of a teenage girl and it is Spot. On. I feel like most writers of young adult fiction rely on stereotypes of "oh, this is a teenager, so she is .... angsty? And likes boys?" The main character really feels like a person, and I often find myself nodding my head at her choices.

Haha, so yeah, in case you couldn't tell, I'm totally hooked. :)

That one has been on my list for a while!

MauiKai 08-04-2013 12:55 PM

I'm a fan of Amish fiction, so I just finished "A hopeful heart" and I'm planning to start on Beth Wiseman's newest "Plain peace" ASAP.

ShyHeather 08-04-2013 10:40 PM

I just finished Beautiful Creatures (so much better then the movie) and started reading Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

Buffinlovin 08-04-2013 11:45 PM

Still reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, on book 6 or 7. Just kind of reading them in succession on my Nook, so not really keeping track of the number. It's strange to see how far the show has deviated from the books, but I like both for different reasons. Hoping to get to the final book before the end of the month!

AwShucks 08-05-2013 12:11 AM

I just finished a bit of fluff - Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews, and also Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter. Both were just OK. Yesterday I started State of Wonder by Ann Patchett - it's great so far! I usually read a book on the treadmill, and not at any other time in order to entice myself to get to the gym. Not sure I'll be able to resist with this one!

luckyme0510 08-05-2013 01:31 AM

Just finished She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, I really enjoyed it so I moved on to another one of his books I Know This Much is True, but I don't like it as much. I've realized that, with the exception of Harry Potter, I'm not really into books written from the male perspective.

I'm almost done with The Short Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. It's a more modern novel but contains a lot of historical fiction from the Trujillo time period in the Dominican Republic (same time period as In the Time of Butterflies). It's one of the best books I've ever read. Very real, very funny. Another exception for male perspective I just realized.

MaryQ 08-05-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nienna86 (Post 4805826)
A week or so ago, I had a dream that I was Harry Potter, fighting Voldemort in an underground railway station. I was extremely disappointed to wake up and find that I am not, in fact, Harry Potter, so naturally I decided to reread the series. At least I can live vicariously through all of the cool characters!

I'm glad i'm not the only potterhead here ;) I'm rereading the series too , I just can't get enought of it :dizzy:

gardenerjoy 08-06-2013 12:20 PM

I'm reading Cooked by Michael Pollan which is really good and motivating me to step up my game in the kitchen.

I just finished Calculated in Death by J.D. Robb and it was a fun addition to the series.

smashlers 08-06-2013 05:53 PM

I am in the middle of a pretty deep non-fiction binge. I just finished Freakonomics, just started Lean In.

AwShucks 08-06-2013 06:42 PM

I just found Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn at the Goodwill for $1.99 in hardback! I'm so excited. I never find current books there. I can't wait to get started, since I've heard great reviews.