General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Don't be like this girl who approached me in the gym just yesterday:

Girl: Are you trying to do squats?
Me: Yes.
Girl: You're doing it wrong.

She then proceeded to lecture me for 5 minutes about how to properly do a squat. Don't be this girl. Mostly, like others have said, certainly share your wisdom if someone asks. If they don't bring it up, they probably don't want to hear about it.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 165/135/125

Thank you everyone. I think you are right! I just have this feeling like in the beginning of my journey I lacked that knowledge and support and I wish I would be approached! But noone did and I did a lot of stupid things after reading a lot of stupid things on-line. There is so much info out there!

Krampus great example! But I would love for someone to help me with my English haha. It's my third language, so personally I would be completely happy. I see your point though

Sontalkle well sorry I started my journey before I became 300 pounds (I was on my way though). Also scale weight is completely meaningless in my opinion. I look and feel fitter an fitter, but my scale is all over the place. What important is the success in a sustainable lifestyle change, that I believe others can partake in. I would start a blog, but I would like to tailor to each individual...I am just not sure where I am going with all this
Elena EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #18  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

You can start by sticking around here and post a lot and answer people's questions. There are so many people here who are looking for help and are confused by misconceptions and misinformation or don't know where to start. Doing that will help you refine your thinking and articulate what worked for you and what didn't. It will also help you understand that what worked well for you might not work equally well for other people. Most importantly, it will be met with more appreciation than approaching people with unsolicited comments on their weight and their habits would be, and for that reason, it will be more satisfying to you.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #19  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I didn't mean to sound like a jackass but it was the only example I could think of. My point was really that I think people's tendency to feel defensive or offended when someone points out something they are "doing wrong" would overrule any actual consideration of "Maybe I could stand to lose a few pounds with this Elena chick's help."
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #20  

krampus - Great point! Love this because its funny and because I am possibly the worst speller on this board, combined with my blatant disregard for proof reading my posts, and well, I think still I might be annoyed if someone continously offered me spelling help! lol And English is my first and only language, I just idk don't care enough to double check my posts I guess.

To the OP Elena EQ - if you truly feel a calling, there are ways you can obtain the education needed to find employement helping people lose weight. You woud still have to wait for them to ask you, as offering unsolicited advice may be hazardous to ones health...but there are ways to be the person that is the one people go to. Personal trainer or dietician are two places to start.
Like others said, start by answering questions here, there are often new posters that have health and fitness questions. And continue to read and learn about diet and exercise since information is always changing, it helps to stay on top of it all. Good luck!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote