The quest for Magic Pants

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Have you ever owned a pair of pants you fell in love with. Comfortable, slimming, flattering? Easy to dress up or down?

I bought a pair of black knit bootleg yoga pants with an elastic and drawstring waistband in cotton, modal, and spandex. I found them at Target last fall, and they're so soft and flowy they looked really nice with dressy tops and sweaters.

Once they started to fade, they were still nice for daily wear. Eventually they'll be relegated to the gym and finally to pajamas.

Target doesn't make my magic pants anymore, and after several frustrating shopping trips, and complaining that I couldn't find anything I liked - Hubby says to me, "You're so crafty, "Can't you just make the kind of pants you want?"

I couldn't find a reason I was willing to admit to, so off we went to JoAnn's and I bought fabric and other supplies. I was a bit annoyed that my home sewn pants were going to cost twice as much as my magic pants, especially since I wasn't sure I'd be able to duplicate the magic.

I used my magic pants as a template: folding the pants in half to trace onto cheap cotton to use as a pattern, adding seam and waistband allowances. I simplified the pattern by placing the side seam on the fold, so there would be no side seams.

My only prior experience with home sewn pants was traumatic memories of childhood. I loved many of the tops my mother sewed for me, but the pants were all horrendous and baggy.

I finished the pants today except for hemming the pant legs. My stitching on the waistband is a bit crooked, but my tops will cover this minor flaw. I'm surprised they turned out so well.

I was expecting my first pair to be suitable only for pajamas, but they look as good as the original.
  • I know exactly what you mean! I find it very difficult to find pants because I'm a pear shape and designers don't seem to really get that fact....we exist! Unlike you, I'm not in the least bit crafty so I can't make my magic pants. I used to own a pair and they were so amazing! My husband still remembers them because he thought the were awesome too. Unfortunately, I lost them when I moved and I have never found their equal. Maybe I should check out Target.
  • Quote: I know exactly what you mean! I find it very difficult to find pants because I'm a pear shape and designers don't seem to really get that fact....we exist! Unlike you, I'm not in the least bit crafty so I can't make my magic pants. I used to own a pair and they were so amazing! My husband still remembers them because he thought the were awesome too. Unfortunately, I lost them when I moved and I have never found their equal. Maybe I should check out Target.
    Unfortunately Target discontinued the pants I found so awesome. I'm pear-ish as well. My hips are at least two sizes bigger than my waist, which is why find it almost impossible to buy dress pants (and why I would even consider buying or making yoga pants as dress pants.

When I bought the pants, the clerk told me that she loved hers as they were great jammie pants. She looked at me strange when I told her I'd be wearing them as dress pants.

Even though I'm crafty, my sewing skills are very rudimentary. I've owned my sewing machine for 5-7 years and I made my first buttonholes yesterday. I've only made a nightgown, doll clothes and some pillow cases since I bought it.

The main reason I got rid of the side seam was my hope that fewer seams would mean fewer mistakes. Whenever I sewed clotging as a single person, I would ask my mother to make any buttonholes and do my hemming for me. Or I'd use hem tape (essentially fabric glue) and snaps for buttons.

I don't "do" zippers or pockets either. I'm very lucky that my magic pants had a drawstring waist and no pockets.

I bought enough fabric to make another pair, and I'm thinking about looking for a lightweight stretch denim to make jeggings.
  • I UNDERSTAND

I found a pair of jeans from forever 21 at the thrift store. Brand new with tags and everything! I tried them in and they fit like a glove! I always get compliments on these jeans each time I wear them.

Best $3 I ever spent!!

Normally I hate paying more than $10 for a pair of pants, but I really like these. I figure one or two more pairs, even at $30 each would be worth it, but I can't find them at forever 21 no matter how many times I go

I DID find a similar pair at Marshall's for $10, so I was pretty happy about that.

I hope your home sewn pants turn out well! The most experience I have with sewing is just taking in clothes with my sewing machine.
  • Arg, Target discontinues all the good stuff! I found a magically shirt that was tight to the body but not too tight but also smoothed out the muffin top!

It was amazing but discontinued!
  • Yes! Skinny jeans! The ones I found are so comfortable and fit perfectly. I got them on sale really cheap on clearance for around $6! They were regular $40something. Now since the fall stuff is coming out, they are bringing new ones in with a higher price tag and I can't justify paying $50 for jeans.
  • OMG Yes! I found a pair of magic jeans awhile back. They are a specific brand and style, even the color made a difference, thought not sure why?

I realised in every size those EXACT jeans were magic. As I lost weight I serached the globe for those same pants in the next size down. If I couldn't find them in the store, I searched online stores and ebay until I found them. Thank goodness!!

I'm pear shaped too, and it is so hard to find flattering pants!!
  • I have found similar yoga pants at fred Meyers...cascade (or cascade sport) brand in the athletic section....form fitting just enough without being tight, no pockets, zippers etc....work just fine as work pants and I've dressed them up with heels and a cute top before too (not that there's many dressy functions to go to here lol)....maybe you guys should look at fred Meyers clothing
  • You're awesome! I wish I could sew. Sadly, I don't have any magic pants but am always searching for them.
  • Good for you!!
  • Quote: You're awesome! I wish I could sew. Sadly, I don't have any magic pants but am always searching for them.
    Learning to sew is surprisingly easy with modern sewing machines. I have the
    Brother CS6000i.

Even though I am crafty, sewing clothing has always been a craft I've avoided when anything but straight and simple sewing is required. I would avoid anything with buttonholes, pockets, gathering, darts, interfacings...

I did take Home Ec sewing in middle-school, but even though I was mostly a straight A student, I struggled with Home Ec. Sewing definitely is not a natural talent for me. If it hadn't been required, I would have never taken the classes.

I've always been somewhat intimidated by sewing machines, and my current machine is no exception.

Then, after buying the fabric for my magic pants, I discovered youtube video tutorials for my machine. I found them by typing brother CS6000i into the search bar.

I feel like an idiot for being so intimidated by my machine, as it is the easiest sewing machine I have ever used.

Walmart still sells this model for around $150, but I've seen them show up periodically in thrift shops and even free on freecycle.
  • Yes, and I accidentally got oil paint on it that won't come off. I couldn't find it again after that. Should've bought like 5 pairs...
  • Quote: Yes, and I accidentally got oil paint on it that won't come off. I couldn't find it again after that. Should've bought like 5 pairs...
    Oh no, that's terrible. It's such a tragedy when magic pants suffer a terrible injury.

I know what you mean though about wishing you'd bought multiple pairs

Yesterday, I wore my homemade magic pants to dinner and a movie. Today, I'll be hemming my second pair of magic pants.

The waistbands aren't very magical, as they look kind of wonky on both pairs, but since I never wear tucked in tops, I can live with the wonkiness.

I love them so much, I have to remind myself that I don't need 10 more pairs. Part of me wants to fill my closet with magic pants of every possible color, or or at least the classic neutrals of black, navy, tan, denim, and maybe hunter green, royal blue, cocoa brown, and maybe a lovely mahogany/rust).

I'm hoping to find a jegging fabric in a denim print. I used to own heather blue jersey sheets that would have been perfect.

I'm not sure I can find the right fabric with the right weight and shade of denim, but I'm going to try.
  • Quote: Learning to sew is surprisingly easy with modern sewing machines. I have the
    Brother CS6000i.

Even though I am crafty, sewing clothing has always been a craft I've avoided when anything but straight and simple sewing is required. I would avoid anything with buttonholes, pockets, gathering, darts, interfacings...

I did take Home Ec sewing in middle-school, but even though I was mostly a straight A student, I struggled with Home Ec. Sewing definitely is not a natural talent for me. If it hadn't been required, I would have never taken the classes.

I've always been somewhat intimidated by sewing machines, and my current machine is no exception.

Then, after buying the fabric for my magic pants, I discovered youtube video tutorials for my machine. I found them by typing brother CS6000i into the search bar.

I feel like an idiot for being so intimidated by my machine, as it is the easiest sewing machine I have ever used.

Walmart still sells this model for around $150, but I've seen them show up periodically in thrift shops and even free on freecycle.

I have a sewing machine but am too intimidated to dive in. I am also a single mom to 5 kids so much of the time I am too to do new things, haha!
  • Quote: I have a sewing machine but am too intimidated to dive in. I am also a single mom to 5 kids so much of the time I am too to do new things, haha!
    The time commitment is a huge obstacle. Even with more time on my hands than most, I hesitated taking on the project. I probably would have spent more time looking for decent fitting pants. Without Hubby's faith in my abilities, I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I wanted to live up to his naive expectations of me.

I was so touched by his faith in me, I had to give it a try.

Dorky, and even a bit sappy, I know.