3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > General chatter

General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Celebrity Endorsments

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
PatLib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 380

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Celebrity Endorsments

So, I consider myself a capitalist and I don't really think that celebrities "owe" us anything and should be allowed to do whatever they want.

But for some reason Beyonce's Pepsi commercial drives me nuts. I am not really saying she should stop but sometimes I wonder how much money these people really need. I mean I think between her and Jay-Z they are multi-millionaires and I think with the African-American community's obesity rising at an alarming rate she would reconsider her endorsement when so many people look up to her.

While I understand that this is American and she can do whatever she wants I just wish celebrities would take more care about their position of power in the global community.

Okay rant over!
__________________
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
GlamourGirl827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Under the Sea
Posts: 1,777

S/C/G: New Baby/Ticker/Half Marathon

Height: 5' 6" on a good day

Default

I'm trying to think if that was what we saw last night during the fireworks show concert thing....Is she dancing infront of a mirror? We usually always have kids tv on here, and we put that on and my kids were still up to watch the fireworks and during that commercial DH turned it. Our almost 6 year old looked a little amazed at her outfits and dancing, so we opted for the PBS channel with Neil Dimond!! lol

Sorry I can't really offer my opinion. I think many celebs just see the $$ and that's it.
__________________



2007- 230 lbs to 160 lbs after baby #1 Boy
2010- 220 lbs to 145 lbs after baby #2 Boy
2013 - 215 lbs to 157 lbs after baby #3 Boy
Baby #4 - It's a Girl! born 3-19-15

~Done having babies and losing for the last time~
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
I'm a princess.True story
 
TurboMammoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sherbrooke, Canada
Posts: 1,411

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Default

As far as Beyonce is concern, she is supposed to release a new album sometimes this year (if I remember correctly). So if she doesn't probably really doesn't need to money from ads, it's still an awesome publicity for her upcoming album.

But I do get your point, sometimes I'm a bit ''... but why are they doing this''. Katy Perry did some endorsment for ProActic a while ago and I was a bit astonished to see her in that. But again, maybe there is some subconscious marketing thing going on ''see, I have bad skin JUST LIKE YOUUU, you can sooo relate to me, so buy my albums''
__________________
Next race : Sherbrooke Half-Marathon, June 29th 2013!

TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bargoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Davis, Ca
Posts: 23,149

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Default

It's all about the money.
__________________
Goal 12/21/2007
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
PatLib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 380

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Default

I get that it is all about money but I guess I wish she cared more about her fans. But it is her life and she can do what she wants...
__________________
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
kaplods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wausau, WI
Posts: 13,348

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

I get more annoyed at our culture for viewing entertainers as role models and experts especially on random subjects and products... Why do we as a society care what a musician drinks?

At least a skincare product makes some kind of sense.

I'm not sure a musician owes her fans anything but good music.
__________________
My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!

Last edited by kaplods : 07-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
PatLib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 380

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I get more annoyed at our culture for viewing entertainers as role models and experts especially on random subjects and products... Why do we as a society care what a musician drinks?

At least a skincare product makes some kind of sense.

I'm not sure a musician owes her fans anything but good music.
Society cares what musicians drink because companies pay celebrities to endorse them. Most ads are targeted at young kids because most people by age 18 are either Coca-Cola drinkers or Pepsi drinkers. Pepsi is targeting young kids because they are susceptible to that sort of thing. I mean when I was young if Britney Spears did something I went ga-ga over it. That is just the kids are!

If there could be legislation about celebrity endorsement I would be all over it but it will never happen. I just think it would be nice if we all took better care of each as a society and stopped telling our children that they don't owe anyone anything. I know that is not what you meant but we do buy her albums, go to her concerts, buy her products and it would be nice if she cared enough back. Is she obligated? Nope, but I still think the world would be a better place if people did feel obligated!
__________________
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
GlamourGirl827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Under the Sea
Posts: 1,777

S/C/G: New Baby/Ticker/Half Marathon

Height: 5' 6" on a good day

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I get more annoyed at our culture for viewing entertainers as role models and experts especially on random subjects and products... .
I completely agree with this. I get more miffed when its a health issue. Like because someone is an actor now they feel their qualified to give their opinion on health, disease and medications or whatnot...The only actor I know that is qualified to do that is that guy from the Hangover movies. I've only seen the first one and I don;t know the guys name but he's an MD in real life..
__________________



2007- 230 lbs to 160 lbs after baby #1 Boy
2010- 220 lbs to 145 lbs after baby #2 Boy
2013 - 215 lbs to 157 lbs after baby #3 Boy
Baby #4 - It's a Girl! born 3-19-15

~Done having babies and losing for the last time~
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
kaplods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wausau, WI
Posts: 13,348

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLib View Post
Society cares what musicians drink because companies pay celebrities to endorse them.
No, companies pay celebrities to endorse their products BECAUSE society cares what celebrities do.

If we taught our children to not care, to not be celebrity or brand conscious, companies would be wasting their money.

Celebrities are walking endorsements because we care. Chihuahua breeders didn't pay Paris Hilton to carry her mini dog around in her purse as a fashion accessory, and yet it triggered a small dog fad of such proportion that animal shelters around the country are overflowing with the cast-offs when the fun of the fad has worn off.

Celebrities are people, sometimes very flawed people - often stupid, selfish, self-destructive people who just happen to have a talent our society deems worthy of emulating. That we want to emulate singers, fashion icons, sports stars and not scientists, doctors, and teachers, that's our culture's fault not companies or advertising.

We transmit those values to our children, advertising just takes advantage of our skewed priorities and reinforce what has already been taught.
__________________
My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Krissy Missy
 
Missy Krissy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 912

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

Celebrities are people, sometimes very flawed people - often stupid, selfish, self-destructive people who just happen to have a talent our society deems worthy of emulating. That we want to emulate singers, fashion icons, sports stars and not scientists, doctors, and teachers, that's our culture's fault not companies or advertising.
It's funny that you mention this, I was just watching a documentary on Lizzie Borden and it was talking about the friends that she had after the trial (1890's). She was a big fan of the theater and hosted parties for actors and actresses. At the time society found this quite distasteful, as stage performs had about as much social status as prostitutes (and Lizzie was quite wealthy, so it was even more improper for her to socialize with them).

How times have changed!
__________________

One for every five pounds lost!


Mini Goals:
No longer obese – achieved 10/12/12
, 20 pounds down and pedicure reward – achieved 11/16/12, 40 pounds down and facial reward – achieved 2/22/13, No longer overweight - achieved 4/12/13, 60 pounds down and full body massage reward
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
PatLib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 380

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
No, companies pay celebrities to endorse their products BECAUSE society cares what celebrities do.
But why does society care? Advertising companies make it look cool. I think it is much more circular than blaming any one element.

Once upon a time curvy women were considered attractive, even in the 80s and early 90s healthy thin was in. Who convinced us "Heroin chic" was in? Calvin Klein and Kate Moss and then every advertising company bombarded us with that image. Of course society didn't have to fall for I guess but typically people are unconscious of when an advertisement is affecting them.

It is just a sad, vicious cycle!
__________________
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
MF 3/31/13
 
SuperHeroTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 925

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
No, companies pay celebrities to endorse their products BECAUSE society cares what celebrities do.

If we taught our children to not care, to not be celebrity or brand conscious, companies would be wasting their money.

Celebrities are walking endorsements because we care. Chihuahua breeders didn't pay Paris Hilton to carry her mini dog around in her purse as a fashion accessory, and yet it triggered a small dog fad of such proportion that animal shelters around the country are overflowing with the cast-offs when the fun of the fad has worn off.

Celebrities are people, sometimes very flawed people - often stupid, selfish, self-destructive people who just happen to have a talent our society deems worthy of emulating. That we want to emulate singers, fashion icons, sports stars and not scientists, doctors, and teachers, that's our culture's fault not companies or advertising.

We transmit those values to our children, advertising just takes advantage of our skewed priorities and reinforce what has already been taught.
This. 1000 times this ^^^

I can't tell you how many of my 8th graders think they're going to be the next Kobe Bryant, Buster Posey, Kanye West, or god forbid, a Kardashian!

The advertising industry doesn't create celebrity worship, ignorance and lack of values creates celebrity worship. Teach your kids to admire people who MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD, not people who happen to make money because they have a talent that sells.

I'm sure Beyonce is a fantastic person. She's certainly a great singer. However, she's done nothing with her life that I'm aware of to make me want my teen daughter admiring her. Is she working on a cure for cancer? Is she feeding children in 3rd world countries? Is she finding homes for orphans of war? Does she rush into burning buildings to save lives? Those are the people I've taught my kids to admire. Appreciating someone's talent (eg, singing voice or ability to play basketball) is different from admiring the PERSON.

That being said, for the time being we still live in a capitalist economy and as far as I'm concerned Beyonce can sell herself however she wants. She doesn't owe me, you, or the entire African American community anything. People who think she does are living under a victim mentality. Sure, you're a victim of Beyonce's greed because you're weak minded enough to drink Pepsi because Beyonce thinks it's cool. Get a grip and teach your kids some critical thinking skills!!!

*stepping off soapbox now*
__________________
Every day is a battle, but whatever, I'm scrappy ~Darcey

Each = 5 lbs gone for good!

SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
PatLib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 380

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHeroTeacher View Post
This. 1000 times this ^^^

I can't tell you how many of my 8th graders think they're going to be the next Kobe Bryant, Buster Posey, Kanye West, or god forbid, a Kardashian!

The advertising industry doesn't create celebrity worship, ignorance and lack of values creates celebrity worship. Teach your kids to admire people who MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD, not people who happen to make money because they have a talent that sells.

I'm sure Beyonce is a fantastic person. She's certainly a great singer. However, she's done nothing with her life that I'm aware of to make me want my teen daughter admiring her. Is she working on a cure for cancer? Is she feeding children in 3rd world countries? Is she finding homes for orphans of war? Does she rush into burning buildings to save lives? Those are the people I've taught my kids to admire. Appreciating someone's talent (eg, singing voice or ability to play basketball) is different from admiring the PERSON.

That being said, for the time being we still live in a capitalist economy and as far as I'm concerned Beyonce can sell herself however she wants. She doesn't owe me, you, or the entire African American community anything. People who think she does are living under a victim mentality. Sure, you're a victim of Beyonce's greed because you're weak minded enough to drink Pepsi because Beyonce thinks it's cool. Get a grip and teach your kids some critical thinking skills!!!

*stepping off soapbox now*
First, I hate Pepsi! I am Coca-Cola girl! (Maybe that is why I am mad at Beyonce)

However, there is only so much a parent can do. They are at school all day and are influenced by a wide variety elements including the internet. I am sure no one in their right mind wants anyone their kid to look up to a celebrity. But just like no parent wants their kids to have an eating disorder, be a drug addict, etc. some things are out of your control. Also, not every parent is good financial position to be on top of their kids all the time. (If you say "then they shouldn't have kids until they are ready." I completely agree.)

There are thousands of studies about the brainwashing of advertising and most people like to think they are not influenced by but most likely that are. Just look on Google Scholar for all the scientific articles from reputable agencies. Most of us on this very forum have been seduced by a number of fad diets.

I agree that Beyonce is allowed to do what she wants (I have a different opinion of advertising companies but that is separate discussion) but I merely questioning the issue of social responsibility and my irritation with her.

I hope that not only do I teach my children (if I have them) to look up to doctors, astronauts, researchers, etc. but that I can teach them to be kind to others and not take advantage of people who, yes, may be weak minded.
__________________

Last edited by PatLib : 07-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Scarlett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,247

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Default

The thing that annoys me the most about Beyonce in this aspect is that she was very involved in the "lets move" campaign, did commercials etc. Then she turns around and signs a 50 million dollar pepsi contract. You can't say that you really care about childhood obesity and then turn around and start pushing Pepsi.

I also get annoyed when athletes promote unhealthy food.
__________________
__________________________
*~Small Steps to ONEderland~*


(1) 235 [X] -- 9/17/14_____________(6) 210 [X]
(2) 230 [X] -- 9/29/14_____________(7) 205 [X]
(3) 225 [X] -- 11/5/14_____________(8) 200 [X]
(4) 220 [X] -- 11/12/14____________(9) 195 [X]
(5) 215 [X] -- 11/19/14___________(10) 190 [X]
__________________________


"If it's important to you, you will find a way, if not, you’ll find an excuse." - Unknown
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
Leveling Up
 
sontaikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,655

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLib View Post

Once upon a time curvy women were considered attractive, even in the 80s and early 90s healthy thin was in. Who convinced us "Heroin chic" was in?
I don't understand why it's ok to shame the bodies of thin women. Yes, there is a problem with the message being sent to women and girls, but it goes both ways--fat shaming AND thin shaming are both wrong.
__________________

Goal Story & Pictures • Blog • Pep Talk Blog
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2